Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
If I take to Apple Genius Bar for service will they Update the iOS?

Battery replacement, iPse 2018

I would guess I can just insist they not do such. Worked before but was only there with questions, not for Service.

For service I assume it will be out of my sight and most likely passed off to another employee.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Battery replacement.

I would guess I can just insist they not do such. Worked before but was only there with questions, not for Service.

For service I assume it will be out of my sight and most likely passed off to another employee.
From my understanding, they don’t usually touch software when they repair.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Battery replacement.

They only asked if I had a recent backup and if find my was turned off.. If they damage your phone during the repair you'll receive a refurbished device and most likely it will be on some version of iOS15.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
>If they damage your phone during the repair you'll receive a refurbished device and most likely it will be on some version of iOS15

Yes that is a concern. Has 12 which is OK, battery life was better before going to 12 a year ago so I stopped there.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
They did not for me. They just changed the battery. This was almost three years ago though.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
They will not do anything with the phone operating system. Are you asking because you want them to, or because you want to be sure that they don't change the OS?

If you do want the OS updated, then when you pick the phone up after the battery is replaced, I'm sure they will walk you through updating the OS, and you can do it there in the Apple Store. That way if you have questions or run into any problems, they can help you out.

I'm sure they will be helpful with whatever you want to do with your phone. But they also will not do anything to it that you don't request and agree to.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
I think you’re at the whim of the tech doing the repair. Some say it’s required for the diagnostics to be run but that’s clearly not the case. Your mileage may vary.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Battery replacement, iPse 2018

I'm not sure what device you have, but if you actually updated to iOS 12 a year ago that would suggest that iOS 12 is the latest version for your device. iOS 12 hasn't been the latest OS since Sept 2019.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I'm not sure what device you have, but if you actually updated to iOS 12 a year ago that would suggest that iOS 12 is the latest version for your device. iOS 12 hasn't been the latest OS since Sept 2019.
iPse 2018 new purchase from AT&T ($149), came w/ iOS12

Apple did NOT update when replacing the battery, although I had to agree to the option to do so if the tech felt such was necessary.
Had another (same model) that performance dropped so much after the update to 15, I retired it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.