Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I'm noticing if I disconnect my Acer monitor from my 2011 MBP without shutting down the Mac, on the next reboot, It pretty much kills the entire OS. I need to reformat the drive and start over. At first I thought it was related to the bad RAM chip I replaced (and then reformatted and reinstalled to make sure I had a clean build) but it did it again last night.

Anyone else experienced this fun issue?

yeldarbnamdlog

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Have to ask the following questions, as the specifics in your post are non-existent...

1) Are you currently running the first build of Mac OS X 10.10? If not, what version of Mac OS X are you running?

2) Specifically, what happens when you disconnect the monitor and then restart your computer?

3) Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

4) If you boot from a drive (DVD or USB) containing an OS X version that is less than 2 years old, what happens when you unplug the display at that point?

The answers to these questions will greatly help people in attempting to assist you in finding the cause of your issue, and aide in resolving them!

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Whoops, sorry

Have to ask the following questions, as the specifics in your post are non-existent...

1) Are you currently running the first build of Mac OS X 10.10? If not, what version of Mac OS X are you running?

yes. 10.10
2) Specifically, what happens when you disconnect the monitor and then restart your computer?
If I unplug it from Clamshell mode, when I open the lid the unlock screen is pixelated. I can then actually use the laptop fine. However if I reboot once I get past the spinning gear icon, I get a gray screen and a mouse pointer that alternates to a beachball. After a few minites, I get the "you encountered a problem" screen and it reboots. Rinse and repeat.
3) Have you tried resetting the PRAM?
No, actually
4) If you boot from a drive (DVD or USB) containing an OS X version that is less than 2 years old, what happens when you unplug the display at that point?
it works fine. I can reboot at will.

EDIT: Reading the developer forums, this boot problem seems to happen to a lot of people. I'll post more if I get anything from there. Hopefully, this is fixed in DP2.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.