Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I need to restore from previously saved iPhone sessions in iTunes.

However with iTunes not recognizing my iPhone 12 mini under High Sierra, I may try upgrading to Mohave (via unsupported patch on my 2010 MBP).

My question is must I upgrade Mohave directly on the drive where I backed up the phone to?

I'm guessing a clean install of Mohave on an external drive and booting from there won't work?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
You could install Mojave on an external drive and import your data from the High Sierra drive.
Running Migration Assistant will import all data including the iPhone backup.

I'm quite sure booting from the external drive will allow you to restore your iPhone this way.
At least it's worth a try IMO , before installing Mojave on the internal drive.

Here's an interesting thread about the same issue , note that it's posted almost a year ago, so some things might have changed in the meantime:

Reactions: satchmo

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
You could install Mojave on an external drive and import your data from the High Sierra drive.
Running Migration Assistant will import all data including the iPhone backup.

I'm quite sure booting from the external drive will allow you to restore your iPhone this way.
At least it's worth a try IMO , before installing Mojave on the internal drive.

Here's an interesting thread about the same issue , note that it's posted almost a year ago, so some things might have changed in the meantime:

Thanks, I may try that. But I may also just start new and just reinstall apps.

It's been rather frustrating and time consuming. Here I thought it was going to be as simple as just connecting the new iPhone to iTunes and hit restore.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
FWIW there are some posts in the link I posted of people that could update just iTunes .

Generally Mojave is a very stable OS , IMO better than HS and the patched version worked great for me on a MBP2009 for example...

Anyway, make sure you got all contacts etc before deleting anything ;)

Last edited:

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I need to restore from previously saved iPhone sessions in iTunes.

However with iTunes not recognizing my iPhone 12 mini under High Sierra, I may try upgrading to Mohave (via unsupported patch on my 2010 MBP).

My question is must I upgrade Mohave directly on the drive where I backed up the phone to?

I'm guessing a clean install of Mohave on an external drive and booting from there won't work?
I know that you indicated that you need to restore your iPhone from previously saved iTunes sessions. However, if your iPhone has everything on it now, why not just backup it up to iCloud now, and forget about iTunes.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I know that you indicated that you need to restore your iPhone from previously saved iTunes sessions. However, if your iPhone has everything on it now, why not just backup it up to iCloud now, and forget about iTunes.
I think the OP got a new iPhone and wants to import all data from the previous one.
At least that's how I understood it...

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
FWIW there are some posts in the link I posted of people that could update just iTunes .

Generally Mojave is a very stable OS , IMO better than HS and the patched version worked great for me on a MBP2009 for example...

Anyway, make sure you got all contacts etc before deleting anything ;)

Interesting...so did you upgrade your MBP2009 to Mohave using that dosdude hack? If so, any major issues or performance concerns?

As KeesMacPro said, I'm trying to restore old data to a new iPhone.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Interesting...so did you upgrade your MBP2009 to Mohave using that dosdude hack? If so, any major issues or performance concerns?
Yes, I used the DosDude installer and all worked as smooth as with supported Oses. No performance issues or thelike ever noticed.

Reactions: madrich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.