Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Why isnt it smart enough to know if the battery needs replacement?

And therefore why isn't IOS currently reporting devices being throttled as requiring battery replacement?

As it stands, you need to take the phone to apple for them to judge. But how does a iphone user have any idea the battery needs changing?

Last edited by a moderator:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
This is basically what Apple is in trouble for, the lack of transparency. But in addition to the $29 battery replacements, the other thing they promised is more battery info in iOS.

So basically yes it can do this, yes it should, and in the near future it will.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yup it was mentioned in previous release notes, only shows up as greensalad says when it is worn enough.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
The issue is that "worn enough to constitute a notice and replacement" falls much later than the throttling does for Apple right now. They'll let it throttle for what seems like ages and still call the battery healthy and ineligible for replacement even if the customer offers to pay at a store. I hope this has changed with the new pricing and policies rolled out this weekend.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
The issue is that "worn enough to constitute a notice and replacement" falls much later than the throttling does for Apple right now. They'll let it throttle for what seems like ages and still call the battery healthy and ineligible for replacement even if the customer offers to pay at a store. I hope this has changed with the new pricing and policies rolled out this weekend.
yes been there. only time apple wont take your money.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
According to the Apple Support page, it should tell you if your battery need to be replaced or not : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207453

And this has been the case since iOS 10.2.1 which is the same update in which they included throttling for iPhone 6, 6s and SE.

It doesn't tell you the battery needs to be replaced when the device begins throttling, though. Throttling can begin at over 80% health in some cases where the battery may have gone through a different usage pattern or environmental situation, etc - the warning probably doesn't pop up until 70% overall health. I don't have hard numbers on when their notice pops up, but I work in IT for a few small companies and have seen this happen more than a few times.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

yes been there. only time apple wont take your money.

Probably because some obsessive people would be in every month buying a new battery. They’re replaceable, but they’re not meant to be disposable.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Probably because some obsessive people would be in every month buying a new battery. They’re replaceable, but they’re not meant to be disposable.

The solution is to allow a replacement the very first time the phone needs to throttle to avoid a shutdown. Not 100 cycles later. Anything beyond that is misleading and/or false advertising on the performance of the device.

It's reasonable to want to keep your phone's power source fresh more frequently if it's the cause of any performance impact at all.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
It doesn't tell you the battery needs to be replaced when the device begins throttling, though. Throttling can begin at over 80% health in some cases where the battery may have gone through a different usage pattern or environmental situation, etc - the warning probably doesn't pop up until 70% overall health. I don't have hard numbers on when their notice pops up, but I work in IT for a few small companies and have seen this happen more than a few times.
Ah I see, that may explain why many people didn’t know that their battery was failing when this whole « throttling » thing happened. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: fs454

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Apple wants to test us and see if the slowing causes enough frustration to upgrade your phone. If you can make it through a few months of the throttling, apple 'rewards' you with a check battery warning so you can have the privilege of the $29 repair / fix.

Reactions: macfacts

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I want my iPhone to send me:
  • Notification, text message and email of my battery percentage every 2 minutes
  • Notification, text message and email of my battery health every 2 minutes
  • Notification, text message and email of my CPU status every 2 minutes
The 2 minutes should be user configurable to more frequently if necessary

Anything less is unacceptable

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I want my iPhone to send me:
  • Notification, text message and email of my battery percentage every 2 minutes
  • Notification, text message and email of my battery health every 2 minutes
  • Notification, text message and email of my CPU status every 2 minutes
The 2 minutes should be user configurable to more frequently if necessary

Anything less is unacceptable
Hehehe some still won’t believe it unless it says it is slowing down ;)

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017

Exactly.

So Apple's next step should be to issue a update which tells your phone to tell you that:

A)your battery needs replacing.

There should be no B) your phone is throttling.

Because B should =A

i bet this wont be the case. It will be a nebulous and obtuse update which will give the user no more info than he has now.

Have Apple agreed that a throttling phone is a warranty return?

Reactions: Applejuiced

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
I went in to Apple about a year and a half ago requesting my battery be changed because it kept shutting off when it got to 40% or lower. They wouldn't replace, their little app test said my battery was fine (it was the very low end of the green level). He wouldn't even take my money to replace the battery. Therefore, forcing me to go to a third party to get my battery replaced. Since getting it replaced by a third party my phone no longer gives battery usage stats by app. I went to Apple about 4 months ago requesting a genuine battery and they won't touch my phone any longer.

So thanks to Apple's own reductive policies I have a phone that can no longer be serviced because I didn't want to deal with a 1.5 year old phone that was shutting down.

Since replacing third party the battery has been working great, besides the stats issue. However, this is all on Apple that I had to go through this ridiculous loops of trying to get a new battery.

I still love Apple and their products but this is a major flaw on their part and it is going to hurt them just by word of mouth this is receiving. I will continue to buy iPhone, but I know many friends that are saying otherwise.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
just limit it to 2 replacements max per device and charge more for the second replacement unless it was apples error in replacing the first time
[doublepost=1514698959][/doublepost]
I went in to Apple about a year and a half ago requesting my battery be changed because it kept shutting off when it got to 40% or lower. They wouldn't replace, their little app test said my battery was fine (it was the very low end of the green level). He wouldn't even take my money to replace the battery. Therefore, forcing me to go to a third party to get my battery replaced. Since getting it replaced by a third party my phone no longer gives battery usage stats by app. I went to Apple about 4 months ago requesting a genuine battery and they won't touch my phone any longer.

So thanks to Apple's own reductive policies I have a phone that can no longer be serviced because I didn't want to deal with a 1.5 year old phone that was shutting down.

Since replacing third party the battery has been working great, besides the stats issue. However, this is all on Apple that I had to go through this ridiculous loops of trying to get a new battery.

I still love Apple and their products but this is a major flaw on their part and it is going to hurt them just by word of mouth this is receiving. I will continue to buy iPhone, but I know many friends that are saying otherwise.
I also have a feeling their labor skills are actually bad and not equipped for this volume. Am sure they have more than any other company to do to this just not enough.

Both times I needed a screen replaced they said they ended up needing to give me a new refurb and same with a few people I talked to one of them who needed and qualified for a battery swap.

This is prob why they cant start till late Jan

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017

Warranty on iphones is 12 months so you wouldn't have been eligible for a replacement anyway.

Your experience is the reason for this whole debacle . Iphone batteries only seem fit for purpose for barely 12 months. After that, power demands from the CPU cause shutdowns. Instead of recalling iphones, they hobbled the phone via a software patch.

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
Warranty on iphones is 12 months so you wouldn't have been eligible for a replacement anyway.

Your experience is the reason for this whole debacle . Iphone batteries only seem fit for purpose for barely 12 months. After that, power demands from the CPU cause shutdowns. Instead of recalling iphones, they hobbled the phone via a software patch.
I had Apple Care+ so I should have been covered for 2 years. However at the time they’ve said my battery was fine and wouldn’t even accept me paying for it.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

I'd be more pissed off than you are about that, with them refusing to replace the battery while it suffers shutdowns and then refusing to touch it with a 3rd party battery that they forced you into.

I've been through almost the same thing. Still under AC+ and just under 2 years, but they refused to touch the battery due to their tests. I had to go to a 3rd party and then get 2 batteries before the battery stats came back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.