Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you be willing to try?

• Total voters

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Just for fun, if the battery allowed the mic to record all day, and the software allowed background operations (maybe a future version?) would you be willing to record your everyday life?

If we could somehow store our conversation encrypted somewhere for you to refer to at any time of your choosing, for emergencies, or when simply in a conflict about who said what during that fight after dinner last night. I know this is really Big Brotherish, but when you think about it it could save us so much trouble. Think of it as black box we see on airplanes, only for us. It sure would help solve a lot of court cases!

Please don't bash me, I already know this will be highly controversial, but as I said this is just for fun. Instead of coming up and saying why it will never happen try to think about how it could.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Honestly, it makes sense for business and in situations where the other person may backtrack from what they said but I feel morally it will cost you friends and make you look like a bit of a nut.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Honestly, it makes sense for business and in situations where the other person may backtrack from what they said but I feel morally it will cost you friends and make you look like a bit of a nut.

Granted, but if one day it becomes standard? I remember when cameras started becoming standard on most phones and laptops a few years back... some people had huge concerns with their privacy, all they we're thinking of was how this could affect their private lifes.. lockerooms, toilets and upskirts... But after all that most people embraced it because they realized it wasn't all that bad.. Although I must admit these weren't shooting images 24/7... :\

Anyway, I'm sure facebook and online photo albums sounded just as nuts and creepy 15-20 years ago.. No? Maybe it's just me..

RodDavies

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014

But is it legal to do so?

Jontif

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
I work in a highly sensitive data protected environment and so this would never be allowed

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I buy Apple stuff because they respect privacy, they stop doing that I move to cheaper products.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
I remember when cameras started becoming standard on most phones and laptops a few years back... some people had huge concerns with their privacy, all they we're thinking of was how this could affect their private lifes.. lockerooms, toilets and upskirts... But after all that most people embraced it because they realized it wasn't all that bad.. Although I must admit these weren't shooting images 24/7... :\

This is a horrible analogy frankly and your logic doesn't make sense. People embraced cameras on their gadgets, they did not embrace secretly filming private moments. There are still serious concerns about privacy concerning cameras. A more apt analogy if you want to compare it to cameras on phones is to ask whether people will accept a tape recorder on their watch. Nobody has ever "embraced" taking secret videos and pictures in locker rooms, toilets, or upskirts just as nobody has or I think will ever "embrace" tape recording private moments of conversation without consent.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
The OP is doing an internship at the NSA and they asked him to do some research. ;)

Seeing as how the NSA/Homeland Security already record every phone conversation in the US, what's the big deal? :)

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
The OP is doing an internship at the NSA and they asked him to do some research. ;)

Seeing as how the NSA/Homeland Security already record every phone conversation in the US, what's the big deal? :)

Okay, everybody put their aluminum foil hats on now. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.