Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
If more Android phones ran stock Android without manufacturer/carrier skins/bloat do you think Android would dominate the market? Just stirring up conversation not trying to say android or apple is better.

Resolved: This thread is going no where fast...

Last edited:

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Don't they already?

Are there more android devices out there? Yes. Dominating the market? Nope, look at record setting preorders.

My point here was that I think android is great, love my nexus 7 BUT most of android phones don't have stock android. People don't get the real android experience and thats a shame because is very good but when you have something that is different from device to device that gets lost.

The nexus line is "quality" everything else is basically "quantity". Do I think android as a whole has the best features? Yes. But thats like shooting a shotgun at customers who have to pick and choose whats best for them and deal with the rest being sub par.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If more Android phones ran stock Android without manufacturer/carrier skins/bloat do you think Android would dominate the market? Just stirring up conversation not trying to say android or apple is better.

Would make android less interesting. I like touchwiz over other android skins, and over stock Android.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

lol

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25037214

2014, Q2 - Android 84% marketshare worldwide.

I think our definitions of "dominate" must be completely different if you do not think Android is already dominating the smart phone market.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Putting out 3 maybe 4 great devices and the rest being 3 year old os and outdated tech isn't dominating, it's having an army of crap skinned devices.
I'm talking about good devices people really want and get excited for. I like "real" android but 99% of it is crap.
I want to know if there were more devices running stock android if that would push more quality devices

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Putting out 3 maybe 4 great devices and the rest being 3 year old os and outdated tech isn't dominating, it's having an army of crap skinned devices.
I'm talking about good devices people really want and get excited for. I like "real" android but 99% of it is crap.
I want to know if there were more devices running stock android if that would push more quality devices

You should times that "3 maybe 4" by 10.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola and Sony all make high quality Android devices. Then there are the less well known Asian brands like Huawei and Lenovo who also make good quality devices. There is plenty of quality to be found within the Android market space.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
You should times that "3 maybe 4" by 10.

Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola and Sony all make high quality Android devices. Then there are the less well known Asian brands like Huawei and Lenovo who also make good quality devices. There is plenty of quality to be found within the Android market space.

Ok to get a real discussion going, name the devices and why they are great. Ill start.
The nexus 7: It is simple to use when it should be and gives me options when I need it. Battery life is absurd compared to most devices and when I go from a nexus 7 to another nexus device I know where everything is and where it should be. I don't worry about it being skinned over with carrier/manufacturer junk apps. For the regular consumer they make life easy. No rooting or flashing required. To quote apple "apple it just works" and thats what people really want.

Like any device I have my issues, Build quality is lacking and menu buttons are no where near consistent.

Overall I think the nexus is a better device then the iPad (and I own both) however Build quality isn't there and consistency also is missing.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia

How is 99% of Android crap and since when where there only 3 to 4 good Android Phones.

At least check your facts before you post.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
How is 99% of Android crap and since when where there only 3 to 4 good Android Phones.

At least check your facts before you post.

Check your facts, would you buy 9 out of 10 of the android devices that wall mart, gamestop, best buy, sears, cvs, even 711 sells? no probably not. The sad fact is that android phones saturated the market with crap. Does android have a great OS yes but allowing so many companies to create crap devices has sadly ruined the experience.

I bet for every great android device you can name, I can show you 10 real crap devices.

The point here is to discuss great android devices and instead all anyone has done is said Im wrong but honestly all I see that I did wrong was expect a real discussion.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Check your facts, would you buy 9 out of 10 of the android devices that wall mart, gamestop, best buy, sears, cvs, even 711 sells? no probably not. The sad fact is that android phones saturated the market with crap. Does android have a great OS yes but allowing so many companies to create crap devices has sadly ruined the experience.

I bet for every great android device you can name, I can show you 10 real crap devices.

The point here is to discuss great android devices and instead all anyone has done is said Im wrong but honestly all I see that I did wrong was expect a real discussion.

Huh? I can think of at least 20 phones that I would want right now.

I get you couldn't, there is only one phone for you to choose from, and it's "crap" anyway...

How can you expect a discussion if you only stating completely incorrect facts?

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
If more Android phones ran stock Android without manufacturer/carrier skins/bloat do you think Android would dominate the market?

I'm confused about what exactly you want to discuss. You talk about what would make Android dominate the market. It seems like you want to talk about the high end market with phones at the higher price points. Perhaps you should rephrase what exactly you want to discuss as most members consider dominating the market to be the entire mobile phone market which includes high end and low end phones and everything in between.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Most of the manufacturers have toned down their UI to be less intrusive per Google's request. The only one that has resisted is Samsung and their Touchwiz. HTC Sense, LG, and Moto (being as close to AOSP with a few moto features thrown in, not on top) are all very lightly skinned and some people actually like them.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
OP. I understand what you're trying to ask, and everyone else, stop being intentionally dense.

Thank you for understanding but apparently this section of the forums is too immature to respond appropriately, instead it became a "android rules, apple sucks" and it was never my intention to compare the two. I appreciate atlas one person saw what I was trying to do but I think here anything you write is "troll bait" oh well its a shame people can't have real conversations anymore.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Would make android less interesting. I like touchwiz over other android skins, and over stock Android.

Thats extremely weird preference. You're honestly the first person ever who I hear telling that he prefers TouchWiz.

Honestly... Stock Android and iOS are the best operating platforms available out there for mobile devices. If every Android phone would run stock Android out of the box I'd be extremely happy. Happy about the fact that I wouldn't have to root my phones anymore and flash GPE/stock Android rom to them.

My HTC One M8 turned out to be far better experience with stock Android on it compared to Sense 6. Thought Sense 6 wasn't that bad. Especially if you compare to TouchWiz.

Nothing wrong with your opinion thought. Just feels extremely weird to me.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
The m8 is a perfect example of a great phone that runs better on stock. It's a shame Samsung, htc and other companies don't relize that stock android is amazing and there really is no need to skin over it. I get that they like to add features to the phones to differentiate more but idk I think it would create a more stream line android experience

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
The m8 is a perfect example of a great phone that runs better on stock. It's a shame Samsung, htc and other companies don't relize that stock android is amazing and there really is no need to skin over it. I get that they like to add features to the phones to differentiate more but idk I think it would create a more stream line android experience

What's Samsung suppose to do with the Note line that uses a stylus? They have to put their own UI over stock android in that case.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So Android OEM's are not supposed to add skins? They are all supposed to sell one vanilla Android phone? So why buy from Samsung when the HTC phone is the same? Why buy from HTC when the LG phone is the same? They differentiate by the options and features that pure vanilla Android does not have.
If you want pure vanilla Android then buy the Nexus line. See there's an option for every customer.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Thats extremely weird preference. You're honestly the first person ever who I hear telling that he prefers TouchWiz.

Count me second. I also prefer TW over pure Android. I would prefer a Galaxy Note tablet over my Nexus 7, but I don't use tablets that much to justify spending that much. The S3 and S4 has been my favorite Android devices so far, and I've tried many. Although TW was far from flawless, it has improved greatly to the point that people can only complain about a debatable 2ms lag or the internal space it takes up.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
So Android OEM's are not supposed to add skins? They are all supposed to sell one vanilla Android phone? So why buy from Samsung when the HTC phone is the same? Why buy from HTC when the LG phone is the same? They differentiate by the options and features that pure vanilla Android does not have.
If you want pure vanilla Android then buy the Nexus line. See there's an option for every customer.

In my opinion yes, I think oems should run stock android. Why would I choose between brands? Build quality, camera quality, screen quality, speed etc... You can also have features with out skinning over completely. If tablets/phones ran stock android you would also get more frequent updates like the nexus line. Users would get a more consistent experience across the board.
Im not saying you shouldn't be able to flash a different rom if you want to (isn't that part of the charm of Android?) Im just saying I think if more devices ran stock then the user experience would be more uniformed.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
In my opinion yes, I think oems should run stock android. Why would I choose between brands? Build quality, camera quality, screen quality, speed etc... You can also have features with out skinning over completely. If tablets/phones ran stock android you would also get more frequent updates like the nexus line. Users would get a more consistent experience across the board.
Im not saying you shouldn't be able to flash a different rom if you want to (isn't that part of the charm of Android?) Im just saying I think if more devices ran stock then the user experience would be more uniformed.

Have you ever used a late model pure vanilla phone? What features did you like on it? Have you looked at the Motorola line of phones? They have pretty much what you just described.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Have you ever used a late model pure vanilla phone? What features did you like on it? Have you looked at the Motorola line of phones? They have pretty much what you just described.

I use my Nexus 7 and I love it and I would be more inclined to pick up a New HTC or samsung phone if it ran stock android and knew I could update when google releases the updates for nexus. I think they have great products I just want up to date stock android

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I use my Nexus 7 and I love it and I would be more inclined to pick up a New HTC or samsung phone if it ran stock android and knew I could update when google releases the updates for nexus. I think they have great products I just want up to date stock android
But you do realize you might be in the minority. Most buy their phones (Nexus 7 is not a phone) based on the features it has to other that differentiate it form any other product. there are several phones that meet your criteria. The Nexus 5, Moto X, HTC M8 Google Play edition, Moto G....just to name a few. Want you want already exists......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.