Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
cause apple hasn't programmed it to open with a long press, they've showed it can be done with iOS 11

That doesn't mean "pressure sensitive and long press are the same thing," because they clearly are not (and indeed, in some apps they offer two separate functions).

Reactions: orbital~debris

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
That doesn't mean "pressure sensitive and long press are the same thing," because they clearly are not (and indeed, in some apps they offer two separate functions).

i was replying to your post about how you can long press all day long on a photo and it won't open. Not that pressure sensitive and long press are same thing, as they clearly are not. Many 3D touch functions could be performed using a long press if Apple decided to program iOS for it.

Reactions: macfacts

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
i was replying to your post about how you can long press all day long on a photo and it won't open. Not that pressure sensitive and long press are same thing, as they clearly are not. Many 3D touch functions could be performed using a long press if Apple decided to program iOS for it.

And I was replying to a post claiming they were the same thing. :D

Reactions: Act3

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're wrong but you're exactly right.

Please explain how a long press can have, in practical purposes, the same effect as 3D Touch on an iPhone 6 for the first time with the iOS 11.1 update and why Apple couldn't have given iPhone 6 users this same type of functionality calling it "long press" instead of 3D Touch three years ago?

Today, right now, if Apple enabled iOS 11.1 to allow a long press on the Mail icon and then a submenu to "send mail" its the same thing as 3D Touch from a usage standpoint. It's what they have just enabled on Control Center for many of the icons.
They can't do it for the Mail icon, for example, unless they rethink and redo how they put apps into "wiggle" mode (to re-arrange or delete them). Some things that 3D Touch offers can be simulated through long press, others can't because long press is already used for something else, and others still can't because something like long press won't be able to simulate different levels of pressure (for peek and pop, for example) or where long press wouldn't really be used (like for the 3D Touch multitasking shortcut, or the 3D Touch keyboard cursor control, etc.).

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010

I understand, but we are splitting hairs here when the primary functionality is a long press on an icon that delivers quick shortcuts to buried features, no app launch required.

We are arguing now over semantics. There is fresh squeezed orange juice and there is orange juice from a bottle. In the end they both put orange juice in your glass.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
We are arguing now over semantics. There is fresh squeezed orange juice and there is orange juice from a bottle. In the end they both put orange juice in your glass.

It's not a matter of semantics. 3D touch uses a technology that's not present in your phone. I believe what you're saying is that you think Apple should program iOS to offer an alternative to 3D touch inputs (like a long hold) for older phones. Not all functions would be reproducible, however (what, hold touch for brief photo preview and then continuing to hold longer makes the image pop in to permanent full screen?).

Sure, it would work for some 3D touch functions...but the technology being utilized is actually pressure based, it's not some sort of trick.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
3D Touch is a fancy way of providing secondary commands to a touch interface, you are quite correct that it *may* have been possible to provide shortcuts to icons etc by long pressing but then how do you delete or rearange an icon?

Create a new method; such as long press an empty space for a menu, where one menu item lets you enter icon edit mode.

For cursor movement, they can copy Google and just swipe on the spacebar.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
You keep talking about the hardware when you should be talking about the software.

3D Touch is not meant to replace touch gestures but to enhance them by adding a second level of interaction. Sure, you can tap & hold for a contextual menu, but with 3D Touch, you can have an additional thing on top - like on the home screen of an iPhone: holding an icon for a while enters the wiggle mode while 3D touching opens a menu. Or the keyboard - long press opens a menu with additional characters while 3D touch enters the cursor mode.

Sure, you can solve a lot of things with software, but then the same thing could be said about adding a second button on the mouse. If it’s just about the software, you could add a click and hold option instead of right-click and throw out the 2nd button. Right?

But it’s not about being able to do something that couldn’t be done otherwise - it’s about convenience.

I’m sorry but this seems like standard Macrumors Apple Bashing for the sake of Apple Bashing. “If I don’t like a feature - it’s a gimmick”.

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
On the control centre 3D Touch gets you to the secondary options a lot quicker. And of course its not the same function, can you 'peek' preview files within and app and still use long touch for select? Only with both, otherwise you will have to choose one. Also the pressure sensitivity allows you to do a small preview or 'pop' out the entire message, this could not be discerned by long touch.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
This thread :rolleyes:

It's simple. Long press can stand in for 3D Touch where it has one depth. Somewhere like the control centre. The advantage 3D Touch has here is just that you don't have to wait for a long press to be recorded. Elsewhere, like 3D Touch on links in Safari, or pressing on a mail in Mail, 3D Touch has multiple depths. A link pressed lightly "peeks" (has a preview) and pressed harder "pops" (opens fully). Done by long pressing alone this interaction would be lengthy and prone to timing issues.

TL;DR 3D Touch saves time over long press in places long press works but otherwise has functionality that couldn't be comfortably replicated with long press

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
... Sure, you can solve a lot of things with software, but then the same thing could be said about adding a second button on the mouse. If it’s just about the software, you could add a click and hold option instead of right-click and throw out the 2nd button. Right? ...

You mean like on.macs where you hold control and click? :)

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I understand, but we are splitting hairs here when the primary functionality is a long press on an icon that delivers quick shortcuts to buried features, no app launch required.

You are seriously trolling hard with this one. A long press existed and worked on phones before the inception of 3D Touch. 3D Touch allowed further actions to take place in addition to or replacing a long press and is faster.

For example, on the home screen you can long press to enter home screen editing mode where the icons jiggle. On 3D Touch enabled handsets you can use 3D Touch to access app options without launching the app.

In the new control centre there are no additional features to be used other than show icon options so both a long press and 3D Touch do the same function.

So, what I am saying is you have no arguement and are just trolling at this point. Kinda like a drunk driver arguing with a policeman, you are clearly wrong but just won’t accept it.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
As I recall if you press and hold on a home screen icon (as in an app basically) on a non-3D Touch capable device, it would just enable "wiggle" mode where icons can be re-arranged and deleted. Has that part of it changed for a device like iPhone 6 now to where actual 3D Touch shortcuts are surfaced?

I don't know how can you be pateient with your replies.. I read all the conversations, and I was ready to start ranting on his stupidity, until I saw this... it made me rethink my decision and helped me stay calm...

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
This thread :rolleyes:

It's simple. Long press can stand in for 3D Touch where it has one depth. Somewhere like the control centre. The advantage 3D Touch has here is just that you don't have to wait for a long press to be recorded. Elsewhere, like 3D Touch on links in Safari, or pressing on a mail in Mail, 3D Touch has multiple depths. A link pressed lightly "peeks" (has a preview) and pressed harder "pops" (opens fully). Done by long pressing alone this interaction would be lengthy and prone to timing issues.

TL;DR 3D Touch saves time over long press in places long press works but otherwise has functionality that couldn't be comfortably replicated with long press

As I now am the proud owner of an iPhone X none of this matters to me anymore.

That said, I find the long press is preferable to the “push your finger so hard into the screen that it feels like it’s going to come out the other side” approach that seems to be the 3D Touch way. My thumbs ache from it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

That said, I find the long press is preferable to the “push your finger so hard into the screen that it feels like it’s going to come out the other side” approach that seems to be the 3D Touch way. My thumbs ache from it.
FYI, you can adjust pressure sensitivity in Settings.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009

You can set sensitivity to a light press. It's so light that sometimes I miss the "peek" part and go directly to the "pop" part of the apps (Safari, WhatsApp etc.).

If you still find the light press configuration to be too hard, I think you have more problems than 3D Touch itself.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
These older devices don't have 3D Touch in that their screens cannot detect pressure like the iPhone 6s and newer. Apple instead implemented a kind of faux-3D Touch in the form of a long press. It's an illusion of 3D Touch but certainly not the same. The reason the older devices have this feature now, and didn't when the 6s came out? Apple needed to sell new iPhones and that means making some features exclusive, it happens every year.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These older devices don't have 3D Touch in that their screens cannot detect pressure like the iPhone 6s and newer. Apple instead implemented a kind of faux-3D Touch in the form of a long press. It's an illusion of 3D Touch but certainly not the same. The reason the older devices have this feature now, and didn't when the 6s came out? Apple needed to sell new iPhones and that means making some features exclusive, it happens every year.
Well, long press has bene around in various places for a long long time. It's more that there are some newer places that sometimes get long press options as well, like the redesigned control center in case of iOS 11, for example.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
You can set sensitivity to a light press. It's so light that sometimes I miss the "peek" part and go directly to the "pop" part of the apps (Safari, WhatsApp etc.).

If you still find the light press configuration to be too hard, I think you have more problems than 3D Touch itself.

At this point, he's basically just hating on 3D touch just for the sake of hating, so I suggest we all just move away from this thread.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe

Haha… classic example of “I was wrong but can’t [graciously] admit it”.

And finding additional fault to further obfuscate the matter :rolleyes:.

Reactions: hojx and tomjleeds

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013

halle-******-lujah - and I think a S8 would suit you more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.