Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
So almost daily now I'm getting the above message when I go to play a video on YouTube. The only way to get videos on YT to play is if I restart my Mac. Simply quitting Safari doesn't solve it. Anyone else get this issue?

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Usually I see this message when I'm having some kind of audio problem (usually over HDMI from an RX 480.) You could try a different audio device (e.g., your Mac's onboard audio or a USB sound card) or try plugging headphones into your headphone jack.

Are you trying to play sound through anything other than your Mac's built in speakers?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Usually I see this message when I'm having some kind of audio problem (usually over HDMI from an RX 480.) You could try a different audio device (e.g., your Mac's onboard audio or a USB sound card) or try plugging headphones into your headphone jack.

Are you trying to play sound through anything other than your Mac's built in speakers?

My Mac audio goes out via USB to my Massdrop SDAC-B which goes into my THX789 amp for my headphones. But this issue is more recent. I've has this setup for about a month now.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Next time you get the message, try plugging your headphones directly into your Mac, change your audio output in Sound Preferences to the built-in audio and refresh the browser window that has the video. If the Youtube video will then play, then the problem is somewhere in your audio setup.

I've has this setup for about a month now.
Its entirely possible that one of your audio devices decided to start glitching out after you set it up. Or it could be a bad cable, or not even audio related at all. That's why you need to start eliminating the possibilities, one by one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.