Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
You'd only see an update if the actual release build is different than the one released as GM last week.

Got it. So going forward if the beta client is still installed we will receive both beta and official releases if either is newer?

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
Got it. So going forward if the beta client is still installed we will receive both beta and official releases if either is newer?

You'll have to opt out of the beta program if you want to continue with official releases. Can't get both afaik. The betas are newer but may contain bugs.

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
You'll have to opt out of the beta program if you want to continue with official releases. Can't get both afaik. The betas are newer but may contain bugs.

So if I delete the beta profile today, will iOS 11 GM continue to work, or is it somehow disabled if I delete the beta profile and opt out?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So if I delete the beta profile today, will iOS 11 GM continue to work, or is it somehow disabled if I delete the beta profile and opt out?
The GM will continue to work. If you delete the profile, you will no longer get beta updates, but you will get the regular ones.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton

If you do delete the beta profile, be sure to restart your device or software update will still be looking for the beta updates. But no, deleting the profile will not disable your device and you'll still get the official public releases

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You'd only see an update if the actual release build is different than the one released as GM last week.

I am not 100% sure, but from memory, this is not true. The official update really based on the iOS version number, not build number. Even the final release is newer than the GM, but since the system read that you are already on 11.0.0 (the system won't consider GM as beta), it won't shows update available. In this case, you will require to install the iOS once more via iTune to get the real final release.

I am very sure at least one of the GM work like this. However, I couldn't remember if that's a iOS GM or MacOS GM, therefore, not 100% sure.

Reactions: Feenician

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am very sure at least one of the GM work like this. However, I couldn't remember if that's a iOS GM or MacOS GM, therefore, not 100% sure.
This has happened with macOS because the GM candidates and releases are only distributed as full installers, not as patches through software update.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This has happened with macOS because the GM candidates and releases are only distributed as full installers, not as patches through software update.
Maybe I’m mistaken but I was pretty sure this happens with iOS as well. Maybe I am misremembering like the other poster.

In any case, I was not prompted for an iOS update today.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

In the old days, both GM and final release can only be full installer. This is also a test of the installer, not just the OS itself.

Apple release combo update for iOS 11.0 GM this time? I have quite a few 32bit apps running on my phone (they are all discontinued, no chance to get an update), therefore, I try to delay my OS update a little bit, didn't join the beta tester this time.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Bearing in mind the GM doesn't have the "plasma" wallpapers that are shown on the 8/Plus and X, we could get a new version today....

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Bearing in mind the GM doesn't have the "plasma" wallpapers that are shown on the 8/Plus and X, we could get a new version today....

I doubt if that's only available for the new iPhones.

The wallpapers are not a secret, don't require any complicated coding, no need to debug. If Apple want to give this wallpaper to all iPhones running iOS 11, it should be already in the GM.

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
AFAIK you will always see beta even if you remove the beta profile. This is one of the reasons I opted not to try the beta cycle this year. Last year, in order to se official releases, I had to wipe the phone, remove the beta profile and do a fresh install of iOS 10.x. Same went for MacOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.