Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
It pains me to see all the discussions over the legal developments over apple's anticompetitive behavior. Investing heavily in services and plastering adds all over the store, and being extremely greedy to maximize profits.
or their obsession to introduce the CSAM that nobody asked for and totally trashed their reputation for privacy and then apparently backtrack

and the whole thing of even denying they commit tax avoidance, that later was revealed to be completely intentional. paying less than 1% in corporate tax on international sales.
and their continues anti consumer practices when it comes to the ability to replace parts of their computer or phones.
the practical abandonment of the mac over the years, perhaps part Intel's fault, but still taking years between updates such as the Mac mini, MAc pro, Imac

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
“Steve Jobs refused to believe the baby was his
Despite his refusal to accept her, Jobs did name an early Apple computer Lisa. At the time, he claimed “Lisa” was simply an acronym for Local Integrated Systems Architecture. But later he admitted that it was “obviously” named after the daughter he refused to acknowledge.”

He was a great guy.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Also, the first gen iPhone on ATT? My BlackJack phone had more features. First iPhone had no App Store, you couldn’t use a regular headphone jack, no MMS, only Edge data, no video capability, etc. lol

It was just cool to have though ha. Texting was nice though!

Reactions: dk001

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I think he would be more proud of his wife, than Apple’s success.
He knew where Apple was going, and its worth.
It was his vision, he hired Timmy.

If he came back, he wouldn’t care about Apple. He would start something different, he would have another vision.

generdude

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
I agree but my main complaint is the lack of quality control, the constant (predictable) need for software fixes that I didn't experience under Jobs. Apple is all about making money now. Younger people who buy Apple stuff won't realize how much more reliable and desirable OS updates used to be, so they will just say stop complaining.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Steve Jobs would be furious that the iPhone was larger than 4"

Steve died tax-free

Steve is a great marketing person.

Steve's $1.00 compensation was a form of tax avoidance.
Jobs worked on the iPhone 6 before he died so I think your first point is likely incorrect. At the very least, he was certainly quite aware that the iPhone was going to get bigger. It pretty much had to.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Jobs worked on the iPhone 6 before he died so I think your first point is likely incorrect. At the very least, he was certainly quite aware that the iPhone was going to get bigger. It pretty much had to.
He's on video saying big iPhones are unwanted by customers.

Once dead his decisions does not need to be followed to the letter.

Reactions: glaze

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I too believe that Jobs would have done things differently, criticised, viewed and appreciated things differently. He wouldn’t be a fan of the hardware and software quality control, either. I’d love to see him charging through the spaceship in circles.

But what’s the point in talking about Jobs every time we’re talking about Apple’s present and future. The man wasn’t perfect, so you say you don’t want Apple to be perfect, either?
How about instead of fanaticising about a guy in turtleneck sweaters saving the forbidden fruit, we, as gdamn top dollar paying customers, voice out our opinions, thoughts and suggestions in a more meaningful way than “Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve…”.
I advocate for an entity external from Apple, bridging the customers wants and needs to the people in charge.
Feedback Assistant but working, basically. Periodic “Steeeeeeeve” threads on MR won’t cut it.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I too believe that Jobs would have done things differently, criticised, viewed and appreciated things differently. He wouldn’t be a fan of the hardware and software quality control, either. I’d love to see him charging through the spaceship in circles.

But what’s the point in talking about Jobs every time we’re talking about Apple’s present and future. The man wasn’t perfect, so you say you don’t want Apple to be perfect, either?
How about instead of fanaticising about a guy in turtleneck sweaters saving the forbidden fruit, we, as gdamn top dollar paying customers, voice out our opinions, thoughts and suggestions in a more meaningful way than “Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve…”.
I advocate for an entity external from Apple, bridging the customers wants and needs to the people in charge.
Feedback Assistant but working, basically. Periodic “Steeeeeeeve” threads on MR won’t cut it.
If only that worked. Now apple have regulators so far up it’s backend it’s extremely likely the Rott will hit the fan by the governments blunt sledgehammer.

Steve wasn’t perfect, likely one of the biggest *******s. But he did put product before profits as the natural outcome would always end in riches.
Now it’s profit seeking and cost cutting and consumer traps intentionally making the consumer experience bad

Reactions: macar00n

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...]. But he did put product before profits as the natural outcome would always end in riches.
If Steve did the first iphone wouldn't have been overpriced.
Now it’s profit seeking and cost cutting and consumer traps intentionally making the consumer experience bad
The 1.8 billion devices says you're incorrect. Basically the universe does not agree with you. Companies who put profits first don't make it to a market cap of trillions. Apple grew this way because (1) they are smart and (2) they product products people decide to buy (by in droves that is).

Reactions: E.Lizardo

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
If Steve did the first iphone wouldn't have been overpriced.
and they slashed the price 200$ dollars to 499$ weeks after launch. And grew with an accepted price
The 1.8 billion devices says you're incorrect. Basically the universe does not agree with you. Companies who put profits first don't make it to a market cap of trillions. Apple grew this way because (1) they are smart and (2) they product products people decide to buy (by in droves that is).
i guess you missed the part when he said:
Apple made outlandish profits for about 4 years as one of the most profitable companies in the industry before self imploding and stagnated. Going for Rational profits and market share.

today, apple is still living off the iPhones original success. And depending on services to carry them
17862.jpeg
aroneu5vm5e71.jpg

matthutch

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
He's on video saying big iPhones are unwanted by customers.

Once dead his decisions does not need to be followed to the letter.
He's also on video saying no one wanted to watch video on the little screen of the original iPod... yet Apple released the iPod 5th generation that played video.

Times change. Demands change.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
and they slashed the price 200$ dollars to 499$ weeks after launch. And grew with an accepted price
And your point is that Apple was greedy before they got real?
i guess you missed the part when he said:
Apple made outlandish profits for about 4 years as one of the most profitable companies in the industry before self imploding and stagnated. Going for Rational profits and market share.
And that was then and now is now.
today, apple is still living off the iPhones original success. And depending on services to carry them
[...]
And what's the issue? I get you personally may not like Apple's trajectory, but it's hard to argue with the success that Tim Cook brought to Apple.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
And what's the issue? I get you personally may not like Apple's trajectory, but it's hard to argue with the success that Tim Cook brought to Apple.
My issue is I see it as apple essentially heading on a head on collisions to implode unless they change course early before it becomes way too late.
History is full of Apple like companies, doing the same thing as they grow bloated and implode to the next apple.
BLockbuster
Polaroid
IBM
NOKIA

Toys R Us
Compaq
General Motors
Kodak

etc etc
88% of the Fortune 500 firms that existed in 1955 are gone. These companies have either gone bankrupt, merged, or still exist but have fallen from the top Fortune 500 companies. Most of the companies on the list in 1955 are unrecognizable, forgotten companies today

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Would he fire everyone? Nope. He handpicked many of the executives, including Tim Cook, himself. I do think there would probably some hires that he wouldn't have done, especially those who screwed up Apple retail/genius bar. Tim Cook did have some misses in terms of hiring, and it was discussed in his book. And Jobs definitely wouldn't bother with the environment/wokeness stuff.

Imo if Jobs were still around, there would actually be more litigations as Jobs was not as diplomatic as Cook. Remember, he swore to kill Android with every last money Apple had. He would probably hold keynotes every quarter just to lambast Epic and those wanting sideloading/alternate app store. He would probably also lambast the politicians. The possible bad side effect is that Apple might suffer and not be as huge as it is now due to his behavior. But what Jobs would do better definitely in his portrayal of Apple. Unlike Cook who just kept quiet all this time, Jobs would've been more vocal, and at least he will rally all the Apple fans together to support his vision under his reality distortion field.

Do note that product wise, Apple is still within the vision that Job had, except for the latest Macbook Pros design. Jobs would've loved the Apple Silicon. Thinner devices with everything soldered in. He would definitely not approve the latest Macbook Pros. We would see portless Macs and iPhones by now... and everybody will complain about it. :D Oh and we would see an Apple Silicon powered "G4 cube", all glass cover, $9999, available now.

Reactions: Reggaenald
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.