Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Curious how many MR members are seriously considering an Android device if the next iPhone features no redesign and is strictly a spec update.

UPDATE: NOW THAT THE NON-REDESIGN IS OFFICIAL, WILL YOU GO ANDROID???

Last edited:

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
meh! don't bothers me! don't have an iPhone 4 so I would get it! But my 3gs still serves me! and paying 629 euro is a bit much at the moment

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I do not have and am not getting a smart phone. But I'd rather have a behind-the-times Apple product than a current other device.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
If the next iPhone is not a re-design, then I will just stick with my iPhone 4 for another year.

I don't have to upgrade and my iPhone 4 will not self destruct when the next iPhone is released, so why would I jump to an Android device?

Last edited:

Aridia

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
It depends on the people, their location and their previous device. For example, I have currently an Android device just for trying it out but I want an iPhone. I'm almost sure that if the next iPhone isn't a redesign, I'll buy an iPhone 4 since there's no major difference and its performance is great. Where I live there isn't any LTE so it's irrelevant.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
It's either the iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S2.

If the iPhone 5 has the same basic design but a bigger screen and faster internals, I might just stick with the iPhone 5.

Smtevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Ill go test out some Android phones but will most likely stick with the iPhone 4 till next year. Ill be very disappointed though as most other people will be as well.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I'm debating. I'm still using my trusty 3GS and it's still working flawlessly. But I'm also jailbroken and have tons of tweaks that aren't in iOS normally.

If it's just a spec bump, I've got a hard decision ahead of me. Do I upgrade to the "upgraded" iPhone 4 or stick it out with my 3GS for another year (or whenever they release the NEXT iPhone with a design change?) Don't get me wrong...I love the design of the current iPhone 4, but I don't want to upgrade to it after it's been out for 16 months or however long it's been. In other words, I won't upgrade to the current iPhone 4, but I may upgrade to the iPhone 4S or whatever a spec-bumped model will be called.

The one thing I know I can't live without is a quick reply option in SMS (I've always used biteSMS and love it). That's the one thing Apple hasn't implemented that I just don't understand. I haven't used any of the iOS5 betas (because I'm not a developer), but from what I gather, they STILL haven't added this function.

However, if they do release a redesigned iPhone 5, then yes, I'll be upgrading. And no, I won't be switching to Android, only because I'm so invested in the Apple ecosystem.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I've been eyeing the HTC Titan, WP7 seems to be the way to go these days if the iPhone 5 doesn't fit my wants/needs.

Blakey.

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
There's a really good chance I'll stick with Apple regardless. I've got too much invested in my Apple ecosystem to really shy away from it. The iPhone 4 is also my first smart phone, and I have absolutely loved having it. And being that all of my closest friends and roommates have iPhones, it's just more of a convenience to have one, especially with iMessage and such coming up.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Not specifically Android but might switch to another platform just to try something different. But when it comes to a screen size, it seems Android is leading the way followed by WP7 phones. Apple needs to stay conservative because if the resolution changes, then it creates fragmentation for phones and apps. They might barely getting into the 4-inch club THIS year while there are other Android phones advancing to 4.5-5.3 inches.

But for this year? NO. I might be using iPhone until well into summer of next year. Upgrading to a phone is still until Feb 2012 and even then, I am no rush. We will see RIM switching to QNX, quad core phones, and more Nokia WP7 phones. A transitional year.

There are a few options I might switch to -

BlackBerry 9900 - Try out for a year until QNX is released. Very nice design.
Any QNX phone - I like webOS, so this is a reminder.
Any WP7 phone - Windows 8 can really cause a halo effect for WP phones.

Android isn't among my fav OSes right now. but the Samsung Galaxy Note does a intrigue me quite a bit even at first glance I wasn't into it. The specs are great and that stylus would be great for sketch artists. Better than drawing pictures with your finger. I don't mind going BIGGER and getting a KING-SIZE of a phone. SUPER-SIZE it. I wouldn't mind owning one of them bad boys. If a petite, college chicks I see in my city can carry around a 4.3-inch Evo and Droid X, then a guy like me can handle a beast and brick of a phone with an extra inch of screen size. If I ever get mad and wanted to throw it at someone, I know I wouldn't miss.

Listen, if people are going to buy a 9.7 inch tablet while lugging around another phone with 3.5-4.0 inch screens, I don't see why a 5.3-inch phoneblet can eliminate some of the hassle. You either carry two devices or kill two birds with one stone. Note is that middle ground.

Galaxy-Note-as-phone1-150x150.jpg

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-note-vs-tab-7-7-vs-galaxy-s-ii-video-20110901/
Next we have the Galaxy Note. You’ve probably seen plenty of this new item today but just in case here is our hands-on. The Note is what Samsung is calling the perfect device. Not too big, and not too small they feel 5.3″ is as large as users would want to go, and still consider it a phone. What do you guys think? Again our man Chris Davies has an up close and personal shot for you to actually see what the Galaxy Note would look like if you were to use it as a smartphone. Personally I think I could handle that and want one immediately.

Now I could go on for a long while regarding both of these Phoneblets or whatever you want to call them. We’ve all seen the specs and if not they are both conveniently linked to above more than a few times. I’ve always said I felt that anything over 4.3″ was just too big, and isn’t something I’d ever consider using on a day-to-day basis — then I tried the Samsung Infuse with its 4.5″ display and it didn’t seem so bad. While Apple still thinks a 3.5″ screen is plenty Samsung is wasting no time bringing out the big guns with the Galaxy Note. They feel not only is 4.5″ suitable as they’ve launched the SGSII all across the US with a big 4.5″ display, but now they are quickly bringing the Galaxy Note to market next.

Is this a trend where we are going to slowly but surely get larger and larger, or will the Galaxy Note meet the same fate as the failed Dell Streak 5? Being thinner, lighter, faster, sexier, and having a huge 2500 mAh battery I have a feeling the Galaxy Note will be a huge success.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Absolutely not. I have no desire to switch to Android, Windows 7, Blackberry or anything else. I've been with Apple since the original iPhone and my next phone will also be an iPhone.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
It's either the iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S2.

If the iPhone 5 has the same basic design but a bigger screen and faster internals, I might just stick with the iPhone 5.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm not a big fan of the iPhone 4 design, but I can tolerate it if it has a bigger screen.

Duckit

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
NJ, USA
I will be buying the iPhone anyway. I love the current iPhone 4 form factor, I have been dying to get it. (This will be my first iPhone.)

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just recently got an iPhone 4 on a good deal. Here in the UK new phones are insanelly expensive when they first come out anyway. I find it best to always stay a generation behind. I know its slightly outdated but I'm not actually bothered, it's still great hardware :D

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
No way! Iphone will get LTE next year. And as all of you know, no other platform comes close to the user experience that is Apple.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Curious how many MR members are seriously considering an Android device if the next iPhone features no redesign and is strictly a spec update.

Switching to Android is like switching to a PC from a Mac. You're taking a step backwards and opening yourself to more headaches than otherwise.

In my personal experience atleast. I've had nothing but terrible experiences with Android devices. So no, i would never switch to Android. I'd rather stay with my dumbphone.

Besides, i dont get what the big deal is with wanting a redesign. The iPhone 4s (Plural of iPhone 4, not iPhone 4S obviously) that i've played with have been extremely solid devices with beautiful screens. Are people really that bored of their phone that they want something new just for the sake of having something different?

Its like my dad. I was gonna buy him an iPad for his birthday, but he didnt want one because everyone in my family already had iPads. So he got a Viewsonic G Tablet just because it was different. I had to spend a week figuring out how to root it and then troubleshooting all the driver issues and marketplace issues and whatnot until i got a somewhat half working device.

Because without rooting it, the thing didnt even have access to the Android market.

Besides, dont most people root their Android devices? Why would i want a phone that i have to hack and void my warranty just to get it to function as it should have? I'm sticking with Apple and iOS no matter what. Why? You all know the saying. It just works.

/rant

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Lets see how Apple will deal with this http://ISSUE http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110922PD207.html when customers starting ranting again...

I stated before in this thread: The iPhone5 was born dead!!! Samsung GSII is already the best Smartphone in everything...

That's maybe the reason why Mr. Jobs retired early: He couldn't see his (good) idea going down the hill...

Really? Samsung is the best? Wow, you are so smart.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
The concept of people jumping to another platform just because the latest iPhone upgrade doesn't tick 1 single box is pretty funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.