Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a round or a square design?

• Total voters

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
I think round watches look better, but square smartwatches have a better UI and usability and are more distinctive. So I would say it's a toss for me

Round watches only work for the watch face. You soon realise why the Apple Watch is square as soon as you do anything else on a circular smartwatch and everything you view is cut off at the top and bottom.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Square. I had a Samsung Galaxy Watch some number(?) and for me it just seemed too old-timey. Being able to cram in as much information as my old eyes can read in an alway-on-display is valuable.

Definitely square it is.

Tom

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
The current AW design is to toy like.. I would like to see options that look like real watches. Square is OK, but I prefer round.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
The current AW design is to toy like.. I would like to see options that look like real watches. Square is OK, but I prefer round.
Here is an idea for a cool Apple Watch face that works better with a round case, but could work with rectangular too: create a 3D representation of an analog mechanical skeleton watch where you can see all of the springs and gears moving and animate it on the OLED screen.

audemars-piguet-royal-oak-openwork.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.