Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaxx7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2020
...and if no provision is made on Apple's part to retain backwards compatibility, this would be the biggest dick move pulled by Apple, since...

Scratch the 'since'. This would be the biggest dick move ever pulled by Apple.

This is a company that has taken pains, that has trotted out representatives with every successive launch, mind you, to stress that older bands will remain cross-compatible with newer editions of the Watch. That they would walk back a decade of reassurances and turn every band released since the first generation of the Watch into little more than an expensive paperweight makes any guarantee from them from this point on not worth the paper it's printed on.

This is a problem that could have been avoided in its entirety by not making those guarantees in the first place, by not creating these expectations, by not lending their customers the impression that their bands would have anything but finite compatibility. We are under no impression that our older phone cases will remain compatible with successive generations of the iPhone precisely because no guarantee to that effect is made, because the evolving size and form factor of the iPhone is an established, even welcomed precedent. The absent of that precedent with the Watch's band attachment mechanism was a deliberate choice made by Apple that allowed the blossoming of a parallel ecosystem that turned their wearable into more than just a timekeeper, health assistant, and fitness tracker -- it made it a mode of personal expression -- a walking billboard for the company on the very wrists of their customers.

To write that off in one fell swoop would impoverish the user experience by eliminating countless possible permutations of style and creativity, and would all but kill off a core USP of the Watch -- the aesthetic aspect -- because even if they were to release a large collection of bands with the new attachment mechanism, the eventual loss of compatibility will have become established precedent by then, putting customers off amassing collections to the extent they would have done pre-change.

I hope this development will never come to pass. I hope these whispers will go the way of the rumour of the Series 7 adopting chamfered edges, which did eventually turn out to be wholly unfounded. But if it does happen, it would be enough to put me off the Watch in favour of an Oura Ring, its companion app, and a mechanical timepiece, none of which I own at present. I know a solitary backout on the part of a few collectors will do nothing to dent their finances or change their minds, but that would not be my intent -- I just wouldn't feel the level of investment in the product and ecosystem I once did, and it would be phased out of my life for something less fungible.

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
you do know that not all rolex bands work with all models, right? same goes for omega

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
...and if no provision is made on Apple's part to retain backwards compatibility, this would be the biggest dick move pulled by Apple, since...

Scratch the 'since'. This would be the biggest dick move ever pulled by Apple.

This is a company that has taken pains, that has trotted out representatives with every successive launch, mind you, to stress that older bands will remain cross-compatible with newer editions of the Watch. That they would walk back a decade of reassurances and turn every band released since the first generation of the Watch into little more than an expensive paperweight makes any guarantee from them from this point on not worth the paper it's printed on.

This is a problem that could have been avoided in its entirety by not making those guarantees in the first place, by not creating these expectations, by not lending their customers the impression that their bands would have anything but finite compatibility. We are under no impression that our older phone cases will remain compatible with successive generations of the iPhone precisely because no guarantee to that effect is made, because the evolving size and form factor of the iPhone is an established, even welcomed precedent. The absent of that precedent with the Watch's band attachment mechanism was a deliberate choice made by Apple that allowed the blossoming of a parallel ecosystem that turned their wearable into more than just a timekeeper, health assistant, and fitness tracker -- it made it a mode of personal expression -- a walking billboard for the company on the very wrists of their customers.

To write that off in one fell swoop would impoverish the user experience by eliminating countless possible permutations of style and creativity, and would all but kill off a core USP of the Watch -- the aesthetic aspect -- because even if they were to release a large collection of bands with the new attachment mechanism, the eventual loss of compatibility will have become established precedent by then, putting customers off amassing collections to the extent they would have done pre-change.

I hope this development will never come to pass. I hope these whispers will go the way of the rumour of the Series 7 adopting chamfered edges, which did eventually turn out to be wholly unfounded. But if it does happen, it would be enough to put me off the Watch in favour of an Oura Ring, its companion app, and a mechanical timepiece, none of which I own at present. I know a solitary backout on the part of a few collectors will do nothing to dent their finances or change their minds, but that would not be my intent -- I just wouldn't feel the level of investment in the product and ecosystem I once did, and it would be phased out of my life for something less fungible.
Great points all around. I'm in your boat, Heavily protesting the idea.

Those $849 Gourmette Double Tour Hermes bands just came out last year, now imagine if they were obsolete after two!

Reactions: tommyboy9996

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Why not wait to vent until it actually happens? (Which may be never.)
Because Apple is no doubt aware of the leak, and if it holds any water, they're watching and recording public response. We need to voice our disagreement so they know this isn't something we want. to avoid it from happening.

Reactions: tommyboy9996

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
you do know that not all rolex bands work with all models, right? same goes for omega
Remind me, has Rolex or Omega released 642 standalone interchangeable bands marketed as such for personalization and compatibility across the lineup?

The comparison doesn't work. Apple's band situation is relatively unique.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Because Apple is no doubt aware of the leak, and if it holds any water, they're watching and recording public response. We need to voice our disagreement so they know this isn't something we want. to avoid it from happening.

Didn‘t we already conclude that this is very probably not happening and if it is happening that Apple will have thought long and hard about it because, as the Ultra launch interviews clearly showed, they know very well that compatibility is really important for the collecting part of the Watch audience? Given this, you won’t avoid anything because either it‘s not happening anyway or Apple already decided to endure the backlash in order to release a new, quite different Watch.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Didn‘t we already conclude that this is very probably not happening and if it is happening that Apple will have thought long and hard about it because, as the Ultra launch interviews clearly showed, they know very well that compatibility is really important for the collecting part of the Watch audience? Given this, you won’t avoid anything because either it‘s not happening anyway or Apple already decided to endure the backlash in order to release a new, quite different Watch.
In my mind the choice to "endure the backlash" hasn't been made yet. If Apple sees it's not something the people closest to the watch bands want, they're even less likely to do it at all.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
In my mind the choice to "endure the backlash" hasn't been made yet. If Apple sees it's not something the people closest to the watch bands want, they're even less likely to do it at all.
Fact of the matter is this: Apple will sell more watches with a new exciting design than what they'd make of satisfying bandaholics.

Glad I pared down my collection a year ago.

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
Remind me, has Rolex or Omega released 642 standalone interchangeable bands marketed as such for personalization and compatibility across the lineup?

The comparison doesn't work. Apple's band situation is relatively unique.
Did Apple ever say bands will work with all future watches? Nope.

Marketing argument doesn't work.

Reactions: Bogey99 and flybass

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Did Apple ever say bands will work with all future watches? Nope.

Marketing argument doesn't work.
I'm not saying they promise compatibility across every future watch, I'm saying they market every new release as being compatible with old bands and showing how proud they are to do so. To throw that out now would make no sense.

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
I'm not saying they promise compatibility across every future watch, I'm saying they market every new release as being compatible with old bands and showing how proud they are to do so.

And they won't do that for the new watches assuming the rumor is accurate...

To throw that out now would make no sense.

To allow for a thinner design would be one reason.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I have plenty of bands. If there is even a 1% chance that Apple is moving to a different connector that will obsolete my current bands, then I am not buying any more bands until I know this rumor is false. Apple updates cases every year, charging cables every 4-5 years, etc. They could very well decide that it's time to hear those cash registers ring in a new set of band connectors. While this rumor is probably false, Apple's greed in the area of accessories, knows no limits, so I am playing things safe for now. No new bands for me.

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Probably they’ll launch some adapter - magnetic to latch - so one can continue using old bands. May look a little clunky though…

Reactions: mk313

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think the question isn't whether the Apple Watch will ever receive a major redesign that involves new bands, but when.

Though I think there will likely be an adaptor of some sort so you can continue using your older bands.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
need I bring up the rumored S7 redesign?
all we have right now is Gurman's rumor. he cites "Apple plans ..." but has no proof as he has no insight into their actual plans. and when rumors don't turn out, he'll say "Apple changed their plans ...".

I'm just going to sit back ...

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
It is almost 100% certain that either apple or a third party will offer an adapter that will allow old bands to work with the new mechanism (if there is one). If the watches did move to a new attachment system, there would be a decent sized market for such a device. No way it would go unfilled.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Apple updates cases every year,

Yeah, because the iPhone always changes. Or do you think they change the iPhone just to sell new cases? That is absurd.

charging cables every 4-5 years,

No, they don‘t. The 30-pin connector lasted from 2003 to 2012 (9 years). Lightning from 2012 to today (11 years and counting).

What etc.? There is no etc.

They could very well decide that it's time to hear those cash registers ring in a new set of band connectors. While this rumor is probably false, Apple's greed in the area of accessories, knows no limits

Please give one (1) example where Apple changed any connector or peripheral without good reason. (As I‘ve shown, cases and charging connectors are no valid examples.) So if they change the Watch band connector, they will only do it because the new solution is better in general and/or necessary for a new Watch design.

need I bring up the rumored S7 redesign? all we have right now is Gurman's rumor. he cites "Apple plans ..." but has no proof as he has no insight into their actual plans. and when rumors don't turn out, he'll say "Apple changed their plans ...".

Also, so much this. Just two weeks before the S7 reveal he was certain it would have flat sides and a flat screen. And he didn‘t even claim that the „Watch Series X“ will have a new band system, just that Apple is experimenting with one.

In other words: nothing to see here, folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.