Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
We all know she struggles & is a persistent annoyance, but we also know it’s not her fault - she’s been neglected for too many years, but she does shine when you know what to ask.

This is my rock solid recommendation - without fail, Siri manages to do her job:

“Siri, Torch on/off”.

What are yours?

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
My favorite one is when you have content on your screen, like a website or news article, you can ask “Remind Me about this <x>” and it makes a reminder with your parameters with a deep link back to that content.
So it’s a reminder to return to that website later on eh.
The best ones are the ten Harry Potter spells (Easter eggs).
Lumos and silencio is actually used sometimes which replaces torch on/off and do not disturb.
Nifty. Didn’t think Apple had that in them. The volume ones are great - I have one I use for when in gym: loud enough to drown out the crap music in their speakers, but not too loud to damage my ears.

Siri, "tell that person on MR that they are wrong."
😏 A ChatGPT version of Siri will cause WW3 due to her sending an incorrectly interpreted message to a world leader.

Open the pod bay doors
That’s the future. Yet Siri, for the most part, seems to be going backwards.
🤦🏻‍♂️

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
Actually, my favorite is telling Siri to give me my update. I don’t understand why it is that when the news comes on that podcast is so much louder than her voice was though.

Reactions: Ralfi

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Actually, my favorite is telling Siri to give me my update. I don’t understand why it is that when the news comes on that podcast is so much louder than her voice was though.
I had that issue with my Apple CarPlay/Maps, while music was playing thru my car (not my iPhone). It took a few months but I finally figured out to adjust the Siri voice, while it was playing, with my car’s volume control, to match the music’s level. You might try adjusting the volume on your speaker, when the news comes on (and I don’t know if you’re using an Apple speaker, or an Alexa device like I am, or what).

One issue I have with my own news “Flash Update” (again, this is amazoid stuff and not Apple) is that my NPR News is just fine volume-wise, but then the BBC News that follows is about 40% quieter, and that’s irritating; your inquiry has me thinking about adjusting the BBC volume with the physical volume knob, see if that equalizes the two. I’ll try this tomorrow morning.

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
Good luck. It’s pretty irritating when my CNN news comes blasting on at least 10% louder than Siri has been speaking.

AeroSatan

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
NYC
I left the iOS ecosystem around IPhone 5 and just recently came back with the acquisition of the IPhone 15 PM. I can’t believe how relatively little progress Siri has made when compared with the likes of Google assistant. Why are most replies just generic web links???

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Why are most replies just generic web links???
Siri is so dumb compared to Google Assistant. She can’t “go to Apple.com” when Android phones do. When you ask her to call a business, she’ll reel off business hours etc. before doing it. She’ll tell you the weather of a town on the other side of the world which shares the same name as your own suburb.

You need to find what her strengths are & stick with that 😂
(which is the purpose of this thread - recommending handy, sure fire queries that Siri hardly struggles with).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.