Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
So I can't see this iTab or iWhatever being priced more than a MacBook. So if this thing is priced at like $599 or $699, I won't be buying an iPhone. If it is priced the same as an unsubsidized price iPhone, would that sway you on buying this thing over an iPhone?

If this thing can replace a Wacom Tablet (the cheaper one) and I can use it with Illustrator, I will buy it. I think this thing HAS to be more than JUST a net book. They have said that it is going to be full of surprises and going to be changing how digital media is viewed and how we interact with it, that wouldn't be far fetched that you would be able to "doodle" on it. I mean, how can you do a crossword from the NYTs' when it is digital?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think for some, the tablet and iPhone will over lap, but for many they will serve different roles.(much like the iPhone and Mac do now...sure they both go online, but I couldn't use only one to replace them other)

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Completely different roles. I'm thinking the thing's gonna be aimed as a media device. No possible way it will run illustrator or have any significant computing power. $599-$699 sounds optimistic to me.

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
okay my question is... why in the world would anyone buy this?

it sounds like its just going to be an oversized ipod touch/iphone.

i just dont see the point. and thats hy i dont think apple is making one.

because its stupid

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
okay my question is... why in the world would anyone buy this?

it sounds like its just going to be an oversized ipod touch/iphone.

i just dont see the point. and thats hy i dont think apple is making one.

because its stupid

Because it hasn't even been launched yet and people are bringing it down. :rolleyes:

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
This will replace the laptop for folks how only use it for web surfing, emails, watching videos or photo's. Pretty much an oversize ipod touch. Apple will have to come up with something to blow us away if they are going to sell though. With the media folks buying up all the digital rights to magazines, books and whatever else that can be digitized, and with other players coming out with tablets, this might replace allot of laptops. It will never replace laptops with pro apps though. Guess we will see next week. If its less than 700, then I might get one.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
thats going to be one heck of a screen protector
companies are going to make a killing off cases for this thing lol

i dont know...people complain about how the iphone touchscreen keyboard sucks...how are they going to like typing long emails and documents on a completely non-tactile touchsceen.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
This will replace the laptop for folks how only use it for web surfing, emails, watching videos or photo's. Pretty much an oversize ipod touch. Apple will have to come up with something to blow us away if they are going to sell though. With the media folks buying up all the digital rights to magazines, books and whatever else that can be digitized, and with other players coming out with tablets, this might replace allot of laptops. It will never replace laptops with pro apps though. Guess we will see next week. If its less than 700, then I might get one.
I agree with your points.

I'll probably get one anyway unless it's totally lame (which is unlikely, given Apple's history). The thing they have consistently done the best, with few exceptions, is create or redefine markets. Just as they redefined the GUI, laptops, MP3 players and countless computer standards, I sure wouldn't count them out in their ability to redefine the subscription media market.

Just because tflournoy95 above can't muster sufficient imagination to "see the point" doesn't mean that Steve Jobs can't.

A tablet device will likely be cumbersome to carry around, but OTOH watching video, reading web pages or books on an iPod is cumbersome too.
Lot's of people bought Kindles for $350, and all it does is read books.

This thing is going to sell like hotcakes.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
thats going to be one heck of a screen protector
companies are going to make a killing off cases for this thing lol

i dont know...people complain about how the iphone touchscreen keyboard sucks...how are they going to like typing long emails and documents on a completely non-tactile touchsceen.

Yeah. I'm sure that the iPhone keyboard is one of the key reasons why the iPhone has been so unsuccessful.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Yeah. I'm sure that the iPhone keyboard is one of the key reasons why the iPhone has been so unsuccessful.

That's not what he was getting at... I like the iPhone, but I wouldn't mind a different way of text input. I don't think its awful, but if I had to name a short list of cons of the iPhone, text input would be one of them. Not so much in that its bad, but I wish it could be better. This will have to offer a more advanced form of text input. It cannot replace my laptop if I can't come close to typing speed.

As for price, I likely won't purchase it if its more than $600, but I'll wait to see what the product is before deciding for sure, of course.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I think he was being sarcastic... he was shooting down the notion that people are unhappy with the text input of the iPhone.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Completely different roles. I'm thinking the thing's gonna be aimed as a media device. No possible way it will run illustrator or have any significant computing power. $599-$699 sounds optimistic to me.

No No, i know it won't run illustrator. What i am talking about is if it CAN act like a Wacom Tablet can (ie; can use it AS A TOOL in AI), then it would be a no brainer for a TON of people in the digital arts field. That is what I am hoping it can do, along with running iTunes, internet, etc.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
That's not what he was getting at... I like the iPhone, but I wouldn't mind a different way of text input. I don't think its awful, but if I had to name a short list of cons of the iPhone, text input would be one of them. Not so much in that its bad, but I wish it could be better. This will have to offer a more advanced form of text input. It cannot replace my laptop if I can't come close to typing speed.

As for price, I likely won't purchase it if its more than $600, but I'll wait to see what the product is before deciding for sure, of course.
I know what he was getting at. I can't even begin to imagine that this tablet has any design intention of replacing a laptop.

This thing will sell like crazy, even priced at $900, and even with a touch keyboard. It won't replace any of Apple's other products. It will replace the Kindle and other such limited media readers. Classic Apple marketing.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
How exactly does this device compete with an iPhone? Most people I know who use an iPhone or other smartphone actually use the phone portion. Are people going to walk around with a 7-inch device next to their ear?

If you tell me that Apple will allow it to make calls using a bluetooth device or the iPhone earbuds, then OK. But I don't see it really competing with phones otherwise.

I'm still doubting the functionality of this device for a few reasons. You know how Apple LOVES glossy screens, and most e-readers are matte/no glare. I don't know how I would read on my iPhone without the anti-glare cover. There also aren't any rumors of a killer function of the device. I guess I'll have to wait until the event, but I'm all sorts of skeptical.

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
I'd be surprised if this was $600. I'd expect $1500. Remember the MacBook Air and iPhone? Remember the iPod when it came out? Apple loves products that are high-price, fashionable, and easy to use.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
The product, given the latest rumors and other assumptions, will be a glorified iPhone. Unless it runs SL or a mobile variant of 10.6, there is no feasible way that the product is priced over $999. The state of the economy, potential cannabilization of MacBook sales, and other factors also play a factor.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
People are waaaay over thinking this tablet.. it's likely just an entertainment device. It's not going to make your iPhone obsolete or your MBP useless. Hell the last thing Apple would want to do it create a product that makes one of their other very profitable product "obsolete".

This will be an "media" device. ebooks, magazines, video player etc... it's a toy ffs, get over it. The iPhone aside from it's ability to make a call, is a toy, can be a tool with some apps. But you were all living just fine 2 years ago without it, you found things you now can't live without.

Welcome to how Apple brings devices to market. The tablet/slate will have it's own use for people and in a year's time people will wonder how they ever got along without one. Apple will create the need based on the device. They did it with iPod, iTunes, iPhone's, this will be no different.

I really don't get why people are so confused as they why, how or what will people do/use this thing for. Apple will tell us soon enough :)

Think different is their slogan for a reason. ;)

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I'd be surprised if this was $600. I'd expect $1500. Remember the MacBook Air and iPhone? Remember the iPod when it came out? Apple loves products that are high-price, fashionable, and easy to use.

I'm expecting $950.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
It won't be a personal computer by no means. That would cut into the sales of the ipod touch and iphone. Think about the iphone, still no multitasking, what makes you think that this tablet is going to even possibly run something like illustrator or photoshop. Apple always leaves things out and I'm not sure if they do it purposely so that they can provide future upgrades or what.

Think iphone. Original iphone lacked 3G, thats what every review pestered about... the the iPhone 3G comes out, people go crazy again. Third time around there isnt much to improve on, yeah they added video and a faster processor but was it really WORTH the upgrade for exsisting customers?

I believe this will take Apple TV a step further, even maybe turning the tablet into a remote or a device that streams media to an apple tv. (there was a patent for this I believe)

At the end of the day, this won't be a revolutionary product that does EVERYTHING. We'll just have to wait until the 27th to find out. You can go crazy guessing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.