Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think if anyone could bring competition to apple its Samsung. Qualcomm's focus is for mobile chips, where as Samsung has the budget, desire and market presence

Reactions: c0ppo

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Well, Apple still has to show a capable GPU for their ARM Macs, right? Or do we already know if they will just use normal AMD/NVIDIA GPUs in the future?

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Seems likely, as more focus is put into these things at other companies it won't take long for parity with Apple or in this case greater performance.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Well, Apple still has to show a capable GPU for their ARM Macs, right? Or do we already know if they will just use normal AMD/NVIDIA GPUs in the future?

I highly doubt they will use AMD in the future. nVidia is dead on MacOS for years now.
Apple will build it's own GPU, just like on iPhones. Only question is, can they scale that up? And up by a lot?

M1 GPU is great. But only when you compare it to iGPU on Intel macs. Even AMD 5300M is waaay better than M1 GPU. I highly doubt Apple can compete with AMD/Nvidia on GPU. But than again, I've thought Apple couldn't compete with Intel in their first gen CPUs, so it's not like I have a great track record when it comes to predicting stuff :D

• Haha
Reactions: grmlin

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given how well Apple's integrated works, its conceivable that they'll just use their own

Reactions: grmlin

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
M1 GPU is great. But only when you compare it to iGPU on Intel macs. Even AMD 5300M is waaay better than M1 GPU. I highly doubt Apple can compete with AMD/Nvidia on GPU. But than again, I've thought Apple couldn't compete with Intel in their first gen CPUs, so it's not like I have a great track record when it comes to predicting stuff :D
Apple already kicked back Imagination on A-series mobile SoCs and started rolling their own GPUs several years ago.

My guess is that they already had something comparable to a mid-range AMD discrete GPU in the lab for a couple of years and they are refining that design.

Remember that the M1 wasn't "just as good" as the Intel CPU it replaced nor was it slightly better. It was a big step forward and it is likely they won't release their own discrete graphics hardware until they can do the same.

This all goes back to the A7 (2013), the first 64-bit mobile processor with wide mainstream distribution. The rest of the semiconductor industry was shocked speechless.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Competition is good for innovation! Hopefully this will keep Apple on its toes.

Regardless, I for one am still hoping to be able to use AMD GPUs in the future.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
My guess is that they already had something comparable to a mid-range AMD discrete GPU in the lab for a couple of years and they are refining that design.

Could be, it's a guessing game until Apple releases MBP 16 and new iMacs on AS.
As I already stated, my prediction on M1 was completely wrong, so it's not like I'm claiming I'm gonna be right this time :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
my prediction on M1 was completely wrong,
Same here, while I assumed that Apple wouldn't release a chip that was markedly slower then Intel's, I was completely wrong in it being markedly faster and better battery performance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.