Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I assume other people are curious about this too, and here is what I found out so far:

If you have even a regular SIM card, obviously with the 14 we will need to switch to eSIM tomorrow when our 14s come.

Verizon says you need to call them to get a QR code to do so.

T-mobile says they support something called SIM -> eSIM quick conversion so in theory we can follow their guide to switch over to it. ATT seems to support quick conversion as well.

Apple themselves says when you are setting up the phone that it will attempt to port a SIM over to an eSIM using this quick conversion automatically. In my experience this is going to be somewhat of a crapshoot and depend on your carrier. Even the big carriers don't reliably work well for conversions and moving around eSIMs.

----

So the TLDR: I BELIEVE you just have to have your old phone and new phone near each other when you set them up, and Apple's guide will attempt to convert your SIM on your old phone into an eSIM that works on your new phone. This process is sort of flaky so you may have to call your carrier or go into a store and have them do it in the worse case.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
When I ordered mine from Apple, even though I bought it outright, I chose ATT and to replace my existing phone with the new one.

So my eSIM in the new phone should already be provisioned and should automatically activate when I turn the phone on.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
I had T-Mobile switch me last week; I could have done it myself, but while in town, I glanced @ the local T-Mobile store, and there was like one person in line, so I waltzed in and had them take care of it in like 10 minutes flat.

Reactions: brucemr

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
So the TLDR: I BELIEVE you just have to have your old phone and new phone near each other when you set them up, and Apple's guide will attempt to convert your SIM on your old phone into an eSIM that works on your new phone. This process is sort of flaky so you may have to call your carrier or go into a store and have them do it in the worse case.
This is how it should setup. Similar to previous years with old device (old physical sim to new physical sim - new device setup).

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Anyone know about about - If you brought a unlocked and did not select a carrier

if you are on phone with a physical Verizon sim and you can not convert to esim on device-

Could you transfer it over the the new phone or did you have to contact Verizon Wireless?

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I thought since I selected ATT when I bought it from Apple, that the eSim would already be provisioned and would work during setup.

Well it didn’t happen that way. I had to put my 13 PM next to it and do a transfer physical sim to eSim on the new device.

Took a few monitors. I guess ATT’s servers were getting slammed.

quise2024

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
When I ordered mine from Apple, even though I bought it outright, I chose ATT and to replace my existing phone with the new one.

So my eSIM in the new phone should already be provisioned and should automatically activate when I turn the phone on.

I did the same thing. It should be a seamless transition tomorrow.

Did the same with Verizon.

I also did the same BUT I wanted to mess around with the phone before actually activating cell service from my 13. Also have some family that wants to check it out

How do I get it to the Home Screen and bypass all the setup without activating it for service?

I stopped at the “confirm your number” screen. The only option there is to click confirm but as I said I don’t want the phone to be live yet

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I also did the same BUT I wanted to mess around with the phone before actually activating cell service from my 13. Also have some family that wants to check it out

How do I get it to the Home Screen and bypass all the setup without activating it for service?

I stopped at the “confirm your number” screen. The only option there is to click confirm but as I said I don’t want the phone to be live yet
Maybe go yo an Apple Store if you are going to significantly delay the phone from going live from when you want to check it out?

quise2024

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
Maybe go yo an Apple Store if you are going to significantly delay the phone from going live from when you want to check it out?

No apple stores in Montana

Guess I’ll just go through the steps and see if I can bypass if not oh well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.