Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
... check with them BEFORE you head to an Apple Store to pick up a new iPhone. If there is ANY sort of discount associated with your account, even if you are not actually getting the discount, the Apple folks will not be able to sell you a phone. (We got some sort of "IRU" error the first time they tried to ring me up.)

In my case, one of the concierges and I had to walk down the mall to an AT&T kiosk (which was open, thank God) and get them to manually remove the 16% discount (which I once had, but was no longer using) from my account. Once that was done, we also made sure there was nothing else business-related on my account. At that point, the Apple folks were able to ring me up properly.

If we'd not been able to go to the AT&T kiosk, I would have had to go to an AT&T store. So remember: Check with AT&T *first* if you ever had a discount, even if you're not currently taking advantage of it.

Mattlanta

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Does this apply to new customers who had ATT once before with a discount? I had ATT two years ago and switched to my parent's family plan.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Damn! I have a 14% discount (which hasn't gone through on my billing cycle yet) through FAN from my university. Can people who have tried please verify that we can not get an iPhone through the Apple Store?

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Damn! I have a 14% discount (which hasn't gone through on my billing cycle yet) through FAN from my university. Can people who have tried please verify that we can not get an iPhone through the Apple Store?
The FAN discount (16% in my case) is exactly what I had. You've gotta get that removed before you go to an Apple Store.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
The FAN discount (16% in my case) is exactly what I had. You've gotta get that removed before you go to an Apple Store.

OK, I'm just going to try to put together a bit more information.

Do you or your family receive the bills even though you were under a FAN discount, or was the payer a company?

Was the FAN discount through an educational institution or a company?

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
That is very important information you think they would have released prior to the product release date.
Very poor judgment on their part to piss off loyal customers.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
there have been other threads on this and yes it is true that you cannot buy at apple stores. Sorry, but just go to an AT&T

the nice thing is that your discount will apply to part if not all of the new 3G plans

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Still...granted I didn't wait in line at an apple store just to find this information out.
But, for all of those that did. :( I would be just as frustrated.

There really is no reason why this information couldn't have been on the iready checklist.

ijohnw

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Eastern NC
I was second in line for the apple store...stayed out there all night and I had a corporate discount on my line....I got to activating my new iphone with them and they got the same IRU error..told me to go to the ATT store now..so we called up ATT...we removed the corporate discount and bam it worked

I now have a brand new 3g iphone and I can't activate it now through itunes to get it working cuz apple servers are down! WOOOAH!

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I'm going to kill someone. It works for some and not for others?
I don't know how it works at an AT&T store. But Apple does NOT do anything if you have a discount associated with your existing AT&T phone service.

Just check with AT&T before you spend a bunch of time traveling or waiting in line, is what I am saying. Or go to an AT&T store, where it doesn't matter if you have a discount or not.

That's really good customer service though, considering the importance of this day and how hectic it must have been. :)
Well, I am a really good customer of the store here... the manager knows my name enough to greet me with it. And I was the first person in the store here in Charlotte to have the issue, so I think they were probably pretty relieved to find out that the solution to the problem is easy once you know what to ask.

slimchrisp

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Does this apply to new customers who had ATT once before with a discount? I had ATT two years ago and switched to my parent's family plan.

actually, it seems to apply even if you have NEVER HAD A F$$$ING DISCOUNT. that's what happened to me.

no cheer here. just a big middle finger for apple and att. like an idiot i thought it would be fun to go wait in line for a new iphone. hours and hours later, as i try to pay, i am denied. i did the stupid ichecklist, but there was some kind of "glitch". apple said att had me as a corporate account in the system, and therefore i would need to go to an att store. so, another wait as i get someone from att on the phone to talk to apple. att confirms that no, i don't have a corporate accoun or discount. not only do i not currently have one, i have never had one. then another wait as i get to talk to a "genius". and by genius, i mean someone who said, "yep, he doesn't have a corporate account or discount, and he never has. sorry, we can't sell it to you".

greeeeeeat business practice. my wife and i are standing there waving almost a thousand dollars in your face, and you can't sell me the phones. i go in late to work just for a stupid phone. i guess that's what i get. well, i've waited this long. so when does google's phone come out? either way, linux is here now. i'm done with f$cking apple now that they seem to have joined the "f%ck you" mentality of corporate america customer service.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus

Take your outrage somewhere else. You had a bad experience, I'm sorry for you, but c'mon, you're not even being informative, just venting. Apple doesn't have control over what ATT lets them do with their accounts, and if they were getting an error message, then there was nothing they can do.

slimchrisp

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Take your outrage somewhere else. You had a bad experience, I'm sorry for you, but c'mon, you're not even being informative, just venting. Apple doesn't have control over what ATT lets them do with their accounts, and if they were getting an error message, then there was nothing they can do.

last i checked, this was a public forum for all opinions. not just head in the clouds all things are always good opinions. maybe this will save someone else the time by checking into this same problem before they waste time. that's informative, and helpful. venting? you bet. but if someone had posted this before i got up this morning, i would have known instead of wasting time.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
But your post said it was a waste of time that ANYONE, regardless of discounts, should not go because it will screw up. You shouldn't be mad at Apple though, their servers get very specific info from ATT. If there is a problem, I really don't think they have the authority over ATT data to fix it.

I think the wife and you waving $1000 in front of someone's face part of your post is what made me react negatively. That's ridiculous.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
OK, I'm just going to try to put together a bit more information.

Do you or your family receive the bills even though you were under a FAN discount, or was the payer a company?

Was the FAN discount through an educational institution or a company?
The FAN discount, in my case, was a perk provided by my employer. But the account was always mine and I paid all of the bills.

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
Just a note I called 611 in the Apple store and spoke with a rep that took the discount off. A couple min later I checked out. Easy..sorta

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
That is very important information you think they would have released prior to the product release date.
Very poor judgment on their part to piss off loyal customers.

they did release it..it's been all over the message boards that if you have any discounts you have to go to AT&T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.