Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
I just want to do a little fan test from other iMac G5 Rev. B owners.

1) Just have Safari, iTunes, quicktime,and mail open.

2) Then download the widget called: iStat Pro.

3) Now there will be a "temps" and "fans" section. post what your temp is at and what your fans RPM are at that temp, with those above apps open.

I just want to see if my fan RPM is higher than it should be at a certain temp.

Don't test this after you have been working your CPUs butt off because it will be hotter than regular and screw up the test.

Thanks!!

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Can you tell us what the RPM and temp is now? I have a Rev. A, so I can't give you the most accurate tests, but myself and others have ideas at how hot and what the fans should be at.

-yankeefan

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
yankeefan24 said:
Can you tell us what the RPM and temp is now? I have a Rev. A, so I can't give you the most accurate tests, but myself and others have ideas at how hot and what the fans should be at. (also, if my knowledge is correct, Rev B shipped with 10.3. Are you using 10.3 or 10.4?)

-yankeefan

I am using 10.4, and it shipped with that. right now with Safari, mail, iTunes, and quictime open my CPU temp is between 67-69 C, and fans are at 4100-4400 RPM.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
AlmightyG5 said:
I am using 10.4, and it shipped with that. right now with Safari, mail, iTunes, and quictime open my CPU temp is between 67-69 C, and fans are at 4100-4400 RPM.

The temp doesn't seem too bad but the fan is a little high, IMO. I'll try to get you an approximate on my Rev A now, but it doesn't look like it will be that high.

EDIT: 1.8 GHz Rev A, 17". Apps open: iTunes, Safari, Mail, Quicktime, Word. Temperature: 68ºC, Fans 1600 RPM.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
AlmightyG5 said:
I just want to do a little fan test from other iMac G5 Rev. B owners.

1) Just have Safari, iTunes, quicktime,and mail open.

2) Then download the widget called: iStat Pro.

3) Now there will be a "temps" and "fans" section. post what your temp is at and what your fans RPM are at that temp, with those above apps open.

I just want to see if my fan RPM is higher than it should be at a certain temp.

Don't test this after you have been working your CPUs butt off because it will be hotter than regular and screw up the test.

Thanks!!

Hasn't Apple already told you it is not normal and to take it into the store? :confused:

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
iGary said:
Hasn't Apple already told you it is not normal and to take it into the store? :confused:
The people at AppleCare don't know any of this technical stuff. He said that it is guessing there is something wrong with the heat sensors...I don't want to take it into the store and they will be like...well its not loud to me. And even if it was somewhat louder than it should be, they will just replace the fan and thats not the problem. The problem is that the computer is running the fans too much. If they are not going to replace the computer, then there is no point in even taking it in because the noise will still be there after they reset the damn PMU and tell me to leave.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Once the temp goes past 70 C, the fans go up to 5600 RPM.

yankeefan24 said:
EDIT: 1.8 GHz Rev A, 17". Apps open: iTunes, Safari, Mail, Quicktime, Word. Temperature: 68ºC, Fans 1600 RPM.
Wow...thats wisper quiet. My fans are higher than 1600 RPm when I don't even have anything open.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Safari, iTunes, Quicktime and Entourage (sorry, don't use Mail). Fresh reboot.

Attachments

• tempfan.png
    tempfan.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 115

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
AlmightyG5 said:
The people at AppleCare don't know any of this technical stuff. He said that it is guessing there is something wrong with the heat sensors...I don't want to take it into the store and they will be like...well its not loud to me. And even if it was somewhat louder than it should be, they will just replace the fan and thats not the problem. The problem is that the computer is running the fans too much. If they are not going to replace the computer, then there is no point in even taking it in because the noise will still be there after they reset the damn PMU and tell me to leave.

Get a case number from AppleCare that basically authorizes the store to take it in...

They are telling yo to get it fixed, you're resisting it and expecting something different? You are not going to get a replacement without an attempt to fix it.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Will AppleCare send me a replacement CPU fan as a Do-it-yourself replacement? I just don't feel like lugging this thing to the Apple Store and convincing them that they need to fix it.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
AlmightyG5 said:
This is with a Rev B? Why can't my computer be like this??

Yes, it's a Rev B.

I may be coming in mid-conversation, but based on iGary's responses, your computer could be like this if you'd take it in to have it repaired. It seems a bit cynical to conclude that Apple won't repair any problems before you've even lodged a case with AppleCare.

If you need a good AppleCare story to buoy your optimism, I brought a graphite AirPort and an original AirPort card into an Apple authorized retailer in Germany without really knowing which unit was flaky, and I got freshly refurbished replacements that have worked well ever since, no questions asked. They're not always as hostile as some horror stories would lead you to believe.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
AlmightyG5 said:
Will AppleCare send me a replacement CPU fan as a Do-it-yourself replacement? I just don't feel like lugging this thing to the Apple Store and convincing them that they need to fix it.

I'm sorry, but you're just bucking and fighting to do what's necessary to fix the machine. You think you don't want to lug an iMac to the Apple Store? Try lugging a 55-pound PowerMac with two slipped back discs to the store, oh, say, about six times.

You haven't even given them fair opportunity to fix it. :rolleyes:

Call Apple Care.

Tell them the issues, with fan speed specs, etc. (don't mention that "my buddies on the MR board...) Just tell them that the fan speeds are excessive with what you are running. Don't pick a fight until its necessary.

Ask them to assign you a case number so you can take it into the store wihtout hassle.

Who knows, you might be surprised and get the machine back very quickly - and believe me, I know the bitch of downtime. But you have to tak the steps to get it fixed, otherwise this thread is really pointless.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions. :)

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
keep in mind i had just shut down azureus to do this test

but safari,mail, itunes, adium, and mbeat were open

Attachments

• fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 106

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iMac G5 17", 1.5GB RAM, 160GB HD, BT KB and Mouse, Airport wireless, no external peripherals, all current system updates.

New boot, no roof, playah' what's my name?

Launched the apps you spec'd immediately after boot (also running the world clock, stickies, uptime, calculon, and iCal events widgets).

(It had been off since yesterday, because I wasn't using it and just shut it down after doing system updates.)

CPU temp 54-55?C, Fans 1500RPM. After a few minutes just leaving dashboard running, it went up to about 58?C, but still the same fan speed.

The turbines definitely do spool up, though, when I hit it hard. :eek:

EDIT: I used MiniStat instead of iStat, because it was already installed and running. Hope that's okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.