Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
If any one here has a Windows VM I would like you to do an experiment, can you run few multiplatform games on Mac and in Windows VM and tell me which makes your computer work harder? If you can do this on an integrated graphics machine that would be even better.

A lot of games on GOG and Steam are Windows and MAC. If you can try to run like early-to-mid 2000 games that would be great too.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
You know what else would be great?

Do it yourself. I'm not sure if you are new to the internet, but it's considered bad etiquette to ask people to do stuff for you, to satisfy your curiosity.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
If any one here has a Windows VM I would like you to do an experiment, can you run few multiplatform games on Mac and in Windows VM and tell me which makes your computer work harder? If you can do this on an integrated graphics machine that would be even better.

A lot of games on GOG and Steam are Windows and MAC. If you can try to run like early-to-mid 2000 games that would be great too.

I am usually all up for experimentation. However, your requests demand multiple levels of efforts from people with absolutely no help or input from you - just commands for people to oblige.

I think it would have been better had you given out some specifics of what you wanted people to do, instead of wishing them to not only do your bidding but even go as far as to find out which are the early-to-mid 2000 games that they could run. You could at least just give out some titles for members here to go and try. The level of entitlement is..

Reactions: Plutonius

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
You know what else would be great?

Do it yourself. I'm not sure if you are new to the internet, but it's considered bad etiquette to ask people to do stuff for you, to satisfy your curiosity.

The request goes to people who already paid $180 for Win10 license+Parallels. If it was free I would have done it myself. Given that this is a Mac games forum I assume people already own many games on the platform already. It would help others here to know which is the better way to run games on their Mac systems, so it is to the advantage of everyone.

I have been on the internet longer than some parents been alive, and I have seen people helping others out in many forms and ways including being happy to answer questions. You are probably being just ill-tempered.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
The request goes to people who already paid $180 for Win10 license+Parallels. If it was free I would have done it myself. Given that this is a Mac games forum I assume people already own many games on the platform already. It would help others here to know which is the better way to run games on their Mac systems, so it is to the advantage of everyone.

I have been on the internet longer than some parents been alive, and I have seen people helping others out in many forms and ways including being happy to answer questions. You are probably being just ill-tempered.

Well, not just ill-tempered. And, you still haven't said why you want someone to do this work for you, because it still seems like you could ask your question in a better way?

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It depends on the game, and how the game was written. An optimized port of a PC game will run well enough, while a VM of the Windows version will compare favorably to a poor port.

It also matters which VM solution you're using, and what GPU calls the game needs. How much extra headroom does the Mac have to run Windows?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
It depends on the game, and how the game was written. An optimized port of a PC game will run well enough, while a VM of the Windows version will compare favorably to a poor port.

It also matters which VM solution you're using, and what GPU calls the game needs. How much extra headroom does the Mac have to run Windows?

You are correct, but I am interested in older games that used to run on 500Mhz and 1Ghz from pre-2004 days. IIRC I did run a game in a Parallels VM and it run surprisingly well and cool. On the opposite, I did run old games on Mac(guessing using Wine) and these pumped the CPU to the max. So I was wondering.

I didn't ask for specifics like run game X or VM software X using machine X because that would be too specific of a request which is probably members here might not have, I just wanted to get a general idea from someone who already is running Win10 on his setup.

The trial Windows is useful for trying things out without having to purchase it outright.

thank you for saving me the search
[automerge]1574922205[/automerge]
Playing games in a VM is like me playing soccer. No go.
Use Bootcamp.

yes, but I didn't clarify I am looking for older games that used to run on hardware probably weaker than an iPhone 6 spec. It might work well. I don't expect something like GTAV to run at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.