Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Would you morally feel bad? Seem like kind of not respect how someone chooses a model of iPhone for you. This actually kind of happens to me twice just not exactly SE.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Depends who it's from and why they got me the SE?

Edited to add: important to consider how it might make the person feel from a financial perspective . For example, let’s say the SE3 was the best they could afford - they might feel bad that they couldn’t buy you what you wanted. But again this is something that you’d know dependent on who they are etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Whenever I give a gift where I’m not 100% sure that’s what the recipient wants, I always tell them I’m giving them the value of the gift, that way they can exchange it for whatever they want. People have appreciated that attitude in the past, so that’s become my go-to gift speech.

Reactions: velocityg4

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
Whenever I give a gift where I’m not 100% sure that’s what the recipient wants, I always tell them I’m giving them the value of the gift, that way they can exchange it for whatever they want. People have appreciated that attitude in the past, so that’s become my go-to gift speech.
that's pretty good, I'm gonna steal it

Reactions: TechRunner

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
This would be true for any gift. How would the person who gave it to you feel if you returned it to the store to get cash or exchange it for something else? It's going to depend on the person and the gift. Sometimes people want you to have exactly what they've chosen, sometimes they don't. Knowing the giver's feelings about such things would then determine whether I'd feel badly about selling/exchanging it.

Reactions: primarycolors

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Seems to me that giving a phone as a gift is a potential disaster since most people like to choose their own features, size, color.
I'd guess that few people would actually pick the exact make & model that was given to them.
As a recipient, I'd much more appreciate a gift card or credit towards such a purchase.
Then again, some recipients might not care.

Reactions: Mikeyt1818

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
This is one of those things where there really isn’t a right or wrong. Objectively, it is a gift. So, it’s yours to do with as you please.

Personally, it depends on who gave it to you. You know them. Are they the kind of person who checks up on gifts and will be sad or angry you traded it? Is this something they worked hard for, scrounging and saving to buy it for you? Could they care less and just bought something in their standard gift budget?

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Why don’t you sell your SE3 and use the cash to purchase an Android phone instead as all you ever do on this forum is complain about Apple?

I use iphone but there are a lot of things Apple doesn't treat customers well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.