Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple friends.

Supposing your iMac's monitor breaks (the GPU and the rest are ok for example) but you have an external monitor plugged it, will the Mac's firmware (or something else) automatically use the external monitor so you could still see what's going on?

If yes, did you need to have it set first in the Display settings as 'Mirror' or 'Extended Desktop' before its screen broke?

Thank you, have a great weekend and a great sunday.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello Apple friends.

Supposing your iMac's monitor breaks (the GPU and the rest are ok for example) but you have an external monitor plugged it, will the Mac's firmware (or something else) automatically use the external monitor so you could still see what's going on?

If yes, did you need to have it set first in the Display settings as 'Mirror' or 'Extended Desktop' before its screen broke?

Thank you, have a great weekend and a great sunday.

When I detached the LCD panel from my working iMacs, it would happily recognize the external monitor connected to it and display image on that external monitor.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
When I detached the LCD panel from my working iMacs, it would happily recognize the external monitor connected to it and display image on that external monitor.
Thanks. What resolution did the iMac choose for the external monitor?

RusHayer

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2020
Please help me with my problem with iMac 2017. It works fine and I'm happy with it, but as you know we can't use late iMacs as external monitor. So my idea is to buy new monitor (LG UltraFine 27UP850N) and use it for work and gaming. I have XBox Series X and I want to connect it and my iMac to new external monitor. So I want to hide iMac behind the table and use it as computer case with external monitor. Is it possible?

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Please help me with my problem with iMac 2017. It works fine and I'm happy with it, but as you know we can't use late iMacs as external monitor. So my idea is to buy new monitor (LG UltraFine 27UP850N) and use it for work and gaming. I have XBox Series X and I want to connect it and my iMac to new external monitor. So I want to hide iMac behind the table and use it as computer case with external monitor. Is it possible?
Hi, the new iMacs can't be used as external monitors anymore sadly that's true but it can drive another external monitor. You could ask Elgato.com if they have an adapter that connects to the iMac 2017's Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C and connects to the LG's and X-Box Series X's USB-C with hopefully the Elgato can a switch either via macOS or on the adapter itself (like a menu on TV sets to choose which input it'll choose, so you can switch between Xbox games and then the LG as extended or mirrored external monitor. I hope Elgato.com has the product for you. Have a blessed upcoming sunday.

RusHayer

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2020
Hi, the new iMacs can't be used as external monitors anymore sadly that's true but it can drive another external monitor. You could ask Elgato.com if they have an adapter that connects to the iMac 2017's Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C and connects to the LG's and X-Box Series X's USB-C with hopefully the Elgato can a switch either via macOS or on the adapter itself (like a menu on TV sets to choose which input it'll choose, so you can switch between Xbox games and then the LG as extended or mirrored external monitor. I hope Elgato.com has the product for you. Have a blessed upcoming sunday.
Hello! Thanks for your reply. But I don’t want to use my iMac as external monitor. I want to buy new LG external monitor and use it display for Xbox and iMac. So my question is can I use my iMac just as computer case with external monitor.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello! Thanks for your reply. But I don’t want to use my iMac as external monitor. I want to buy new LG external monitor and use it display for Xbox and iMac. So my question is can I use my iMac just as computer case with external monitor.
Hi Yup, your iMac stays as not the external monitor. Elgato is the only company I know by far who usually has solution for Macs (at least in the last few years) for things like this- I hope they have a product that can switch from iMac + LG as extended monitor and LG and Xbox only but all connected to one Elgato USB-C adapter.

But there seems to be other new solutions, thank God:

How to Connect Xbox Series X to iMac

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
This may be the Elgato product that could be the solution but it seems you'll need an Apple dongle for the USB-C to HDMI or a Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI coz' this Elgato only has HDMI as input but it's best to inquire over at Elgato.com (scroll down for the input and output of this Elgato product):

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.