Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
This is... I don't have words...

iFixIt's beef with Apple's new personal audio gadget centers around three basic critiques: AirPods aren't especially well-made in some regards, they are functionally impossible to repair (even to replace a battery), and there is no way anyone will attempt to recycle them. These headphones, as a reminder, cost $160.

To point one, iFixIt heads to the X-ray machine, where it finds extensive evidence of "voiding" in the solder of the headphones' primary chipset. iFixIt claims this probably evidence of low quality standards in production and possible of a rushed product release. Given AirPods' release delay, this seems far from implausible. While solder voids are not necessarily in and of themselves a problem, iFixIt's underlying message is that it just doesn't know the kind of attention to high manufacturing standards one would expect from Apple.

The second major criticism comes in repairability. iFixIt rates the AirPods as a zero out of ten - functionally unrepairable. This is because you literally have to destroy the AirPod casing to access the internals, which are themselves variously taped, glued, and welded together into, well, let me just give iFixIt the mic for a moment:

As we begin to pull out the boards, cables, and other bits, we're reminded of a certain wearable repair nightmare. If jamming complex components into a small form factor and sealing it with a copious amount of glue were a game, Apple would be winning... What remains in the earbud is a hot mess of cables and adhesive, and none of it seems particularly keen on coming out. So we turn to the stem, hoping for another entry point. Instead, we encounter a waterfall of glue...

Accessing any case component is impossible without destroying the outer casing, earning the AirPods a nigh-unprecedented 0/10 on our repairability scale.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPods+Teardown/75578

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Seeing as how I didn't even know that headphones were repairable...this means nothing to me. My AirPods work. They work well. That's what matters to me. And if/when they break, depending on how long they last and how they break, I will replace them with another pair instead of whining that I can't open them up and fix them.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Pardon my language. But I am pissed off with Apple now. My iPhone 7 Plus issues. Now my AirPods Quality issues. And then they just won't stop charging in the case even when they're full!

Come on Apple. You're better than this!

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Pardon my language. But I am pissed off with Apple now. My iPhone 7 Plus issues. Now my AirPods Quality issues. And then they just won't stop charging in the case even when they're full!

Come on Apple. You're better than this!

Their always on correct? It's probably something like how the MacBooks charge. Or at least how they use to charge, I'm not sure if they still do this on the new ones...you plug them in, they charge until their full, at 100%, then they stop charging. Over time, even with the computer off, the battery drains and once it gets below 95%, it starts charging again. Maybe it's the same thing going on here?

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Their always on correct? It's probably something like how the MacBooks charge. Or at least how they use to charge, I'm not sure if they still do this on the new ones...you plug them in, they charge until their full, at 100%, then they stop charging. Over time, even with the computer off, the battery drains and once it gets below 95%, it starts charging again. Maybe it's the same thing going on here?

That's what I think but some people aren't getting the battery drain. Mine droppped from 50 to 30 percent within 30 mins.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
That's what I think but some people aren't getting the battery drain. Mine droppped from 50 to 30 percent within 30 mins.

I'd be concerned with that too....do try to remember though, that anything and everything is going to have its lemons. Keep an eye on it for a bit, and worse comes to worse contact Apple for replacements.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I'd be concerned with that too....do try to remember though, that anything and everything is going to have its lemons. Keep an eye on it for a bit, and worse comes to worse contact Apple for replacements.

I know but this year I have had nothing but bad luck with Apple products and it never used to be like that.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
I know but this year I have had nothing but bad luck with Apple products and it never used to be like that.

I will agree with that. It does seem that Apple is slacking. Hell, even though I went out and got it 2 days after release day, I laughed at the iPhone 7 when it was unveiled. Something about the 7 doesn't quite seem right to me either...like the build quality just isn't there....seems like the screen and casing aren't as durable as the 6/6s series. But that's another forum lol.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
I will agree with that. It does seem that Apple is slacking. Hell, even though I went out and got it 2 days after release day, I laughed at the iPhone 7 when it was unveiled. Something about the 7 doesn't quite seem right to me either...like the build quality just isn't there....seems like the screen and casing aren't as durable as the 6/6s series. But that's another forum lol.

At least I'm not the only one that thinks this lol

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Seeing as how I didn't even know that headphones were repairable...this means nothing to me. My AirPods work. They work well. That's what matters to me. And if/when they break, depending on how long they last and how they break, I will replace them with another pair instead of whining that I can't open them up and fix them.
I've repaired my 4 year old LG Tone.headphone 3 times now. It's possible.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yes, exactly. Is there any earphones from any manufacturer that is repairable? That can be taken apart without destroying the encasing? If you know of one, please provide link. If not, this is not news.
I have some wooden earphones where the casing is in two parts joined by a plastic or rubber ring.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Proof of what?
Your mentioned fixing your headphones 3 times.
You used that example to say something is possible.
Your anecdotal experience is not proof something is possible.
This is the internet.
People can say anything, and often do.
What is required to say something is possible is a credible third party verifiably source.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Your mentioned fixing your headphones 3 times.
You used that example to say something is possible.
Your anecdotal experience is not proof something is possible.
This is the internet.
People can say anything, and often do.
What is required to say something is possible is a credible third party verifiably source.
I'll post picks tomorrow of me resoldering new earbuds to the PCB of the Tone Bluetooth headphones. It's. It hard to do. Maintenance and repair would be hard on the AirPods.

Reactions: Djilkosh

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
What if a product is designed to have above average durability even if at the expense of repairability? Perhaps this is a net win.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Yes, exactly. Is there any earphones from any manufacturer that is repairable? That can be taken apart without destroying the encasing? If you know of one, please provide link. If not, this is not news.
The thing is that if you can repair something, then you have profit. Just tell me. Is it better to buy another headphones for 160$ or to have chance to repair it for 20-30$?

This is Apple thing. You can't repair it, but you can buy new one for 150$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.