Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
Original poster
So some years ago, i bought one of Tarkan Akdam's iFlash adapters, the original CF model. I had a 5th gen iPod that i wanted to try and recover. So after buying it, i discovered it required a specific smodel of CF card, most of which were silly money and more than i was going to spend repairing an old 5th gen, when my 1st gen was still kicking. So i held off a couple of years, hoping prices of compact flash would come down. Then a few months ago, i got my hands on an CF to SD card adapter, hurray, problem solved.

Or so I thought.

I've managed thus far to get the iPod working once with the iFlash, only to freeze up and then stop recognnising the internal storage. Even in disk mode, my Powerbook G4 does not see it. I've been unable to get the iPod in diagnostic mode, whenever I try, the screen just goes blank.

I don't want to give up, but I'm reaching the limit of my patience. Top it off, Akdam's website appears to be dead, as he hasn't replied to any of the messages I've left.

When connect to power, the iPod cycles between sad mac and apple logo.

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I too have been upgrading a 5.5 gen with some problems. I chose an iFlash Quad with 4x512GB storage. After my first attempt it would freeze periodically and refuse to restart for a while. It seemed the most likely weak point was the ribbon cable between the disk/iFlash and the PCB. You have to bend it back a long way to disconnect the disk drive. So I bought a Tarkan replacement ribbon on Ebay. My first attempt with this was not successful, I found it quite hard to seat properly at the PCB end. I'm still copying files after reformatting and re-initializing.

A new drive cable might be worth a try at low cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.