Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Man these IFuntastic people are amazing! i cant wait to see what else they are going to do. i guess i am a little worried about how much you can do to the phone before all the hacks like totally screw up the phone. but besides that, sweet!

carman63

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
and... No PPC support again. But at least they say they're working on it.

I posted a link to a PPC-friendly app recently. Have you tried that one? That program's code is being merged into iFuntastic, apparently.

alabare

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Anyone check out the icon customization on the new version yet? Would like to hear some feedback.

Dfndr90

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
The icon customization is great, you can resize, change background color and many other things. It is pretty much drag and drop. They are leaving me wanting though. They keep releasing features slowly. I can not find where to change the slider icons in Ifuntastic, so I think that will be in the next update. These guys are great though.

Matt...

alabare

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
After the last iPhone patch, anyone else hesitant to fire up ifuntastic again? I may be more bitter then most, but last time I screwed around with ifuntastic, they released the patch 24 hours later. Restoring and inputting all of my settings again was a pain in the rear.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
After the last iPhone patch, anyone else hesitant to fire up ifuntastic again? I may be more bitter then most, but last time I screwed around with ifuntastic, they released the patch 24 hours later. Restoring and inputting all of my settings again was a pain in the rear.

If it's worth the restore time to you, go ahead and mess with it, otherwise leave it alone, simple as that.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Any chance they have added the ability to change the alert sounds. The SMS sound is ridiculously quiet and I need to replace it with a sound that is loud enough to wake me up.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Any chance they have added the ability to change the alert sounds. The SMS sound is ridiculously quiet and I need to replace it with a sound that is loud enough to wake me up.

Yeah, using the file browser, you could replace them with louder sounds from your system.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Love the new features, but am nervous about what having to restore when new updates come in. I've been using iphoneringtonemaker, does less but no jailbreak.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
iFuntastic is Awesome... but...

...being able to add files to the iPhone, i.e. adding an "icon.png" file to the DemoApp would push it over the top.

What I mean is iFuntastic works great for replacing existing files, but that will only take you so far in terms of creating a completely new look for your iPhone. Being able to add an "icon.png" file to the DemoApp would allow new having/creating new wallpaper.

Don't get me wrong, I love this program and use it to tweak my iPhone almost daily right now. That said, being able to add files to the iPhone would complete the loop and allow full skinning/re-skinning using iFuntastic and not command line stuff.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
I love this program to but when changing icons or system pics like the signal bars I cant figure out a way for the background to stay transparent like the icon png file Im replacing it with. I have to choose a color and it makes it look bad. Any ideas how to fix that?

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
I love this program to but when changing icons or system pics like the signal bars I cant figure out a way for the background to stay transparent like the icon png file Im replacing it with. I have to choose a color and it makes it look bad. Any ideas how to fix that?

PNG transparency frequently depends on the editor you're using. Some don't support it. If you're using photoshop, and have a transparent background, then I wouldn't know what else to try. Photoshop transparency worked great for me in replacing AT&T network name with an Apple logo.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
PNG transparency frequently depends on the editor you're using. Some don't support it. If you're using photoshop, and have a transparent background, then I wouldn't know what else to try. Photoshop transparency worked great for me in replacing AT&T network name with an Apple logo.

The png file has a transparent background so Im pretty sure its a flaw in the iFuntastic program. I think it just masks the area where the icon is rather then replace it with a new one. Oh well... Still a pretty bad ass app.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Hey when i go to change the color it just makes a big block of that color and the little sliders and stuff on the side wont light up or work...does that mean i have to make a whole new image?

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
In case anyone misses this in one of the other threads, the team at ModMyiPhone.com has been very busy lately. Between getting a new server running for the ModMyiPhone web site and developing their new iPhone Skinner program, it's a wonder they've gotten any sleep at all!

Anyway, iPhone Skinner is a web-based AJAX (a'la Web 2.0) application that allows users to upload a background, icons, and dock images to a project workspace to create custom Apple iPhone themes. Once uploaded, creating a new theme or "skin" is as simple as dragging and dropping images onto the example Apple iPhone. You can also drag and drop the Display Order, to rearrange icons on the Apple iPhone's Home Page.

There's still things you would want to do with iFuntastic, but the current version of iFuntastic and the new iPhone Skinner combine to be very powerful. Best of all, since iPhone Skinner is web-based, it is platform independent. Yes, PPC and Intel Mac users alike can rejoice. Heck, so can Windows people, who'd of thunk it?

The ModMyiPhone team reportedly has a few features and tweaks left to work out, as well as creating a How-To guide, but version one is released and ready for use. Hats off to the ModMyiPhone team!

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California

Yeah I'm waiting for the first official update from apple to just see what they are interested in providing on the phone. If it's nothing..then I'll start hacking for ringtones, etc.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
I know what you mean! That said, the approach taken with the iPhone Skinner site produces a file that can be saved for easy re-use. Once your iPhone is ./jailbreak'd or whatever, actually iFuntastic works better in this scenario, you can use the file it produces (an .IPB file) along with Install IPB to easily and fully customize the look of the Apple iPhone.

It's literally one command line entry in Terminal, so it makes redoing the tweaks to the UI a whole lot easier to do... and wash/rinse/repeat.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I know you are supposed to backup your iPhone before you use iFuntastic, but can you backup your phone with iFuntastic INSTALLED?

Say, I get an iPhone, install ifuntastic, and change a bunch of stuff that would be backed up on a normal iPhone that does not have iFuntastic. If Apple released an update, could I backup my phone to its current state minus iFuntastic?

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
iFuntastic is not back-upable (is that a word?).

You will need to do a full restrore and then redo your iFun stuff.
This frustrated me as I only wanted 20 or so music ringtones and did not care about moving buttons etc.

I use iphoneringtonemaker. It is a PC app but it does not force a restore and your ringtones stay put during upgrade.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
You will need to do a full restrore and then redo your iFun stuff.
This frustrated me as I only wanted 20 or so music ringtones and did not care about moving buttons etc.

It's not like it's a big deal to put ringtones back on the iPhone, using iFuntastic anyway. Put them all in the same directory and add them to iFuntastic. Then, when the iPhone is connected to iFuntastic and ready to go, select all the ringtones desired and click "update phone". Not hard, not time consuming, not a big deal.

iFuntastic installs on the Mac, not on the iPhone itself. In turn, it manipulates various settings on the iPhone. The iPhone's data is still "back-upable" with iTunes, after using iFuntastic.... you just need to make sure you re-jail the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.