Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Is it possible to ignore a member whose profile indicates that they limit who can view their profile? When that type of profile page comes up, I don't see an "ignore" button.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
All you need to do is hover your cursor over the username of the member, and you will then see the blue options to Follow, Ignore, and Start Conversation.

I tested this with a member with the setting you are referring to, and the options I spoke of still show to use.
Thanks for that option. I tested and it does indeed work if I'm trying to ignore that member directly from a post they've made.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help in the situation under which I'm trying to ignore the user.

Here's where I'm encountering the issue:

In certain forum threads (the discussion of today's front-page article on using an Apple Watch to unlock an iPhone while wearing a face mask, for instance), I've found that a growing number of anti-maskers have begun trying to take over non-political threads with off-topic anti-mask posts. I really don't want to read posts by those folks, and have started to use the "ignore" function to not only block them, but anyone who gives them a "thumbs up." I find it a quick and easy way to get rid of a lot of the off-topic noise in threads.

It's with these "thumbs-up" members, though, where I've encountered the issue. I can click their username from the list of reactions to the post, but that simply takes me to their profile page, where some of them have limited who can read their profile. Because of that, there is no opportunity to press an ignore button.

It seems like this would be an easy fix for the MacRumors forum techs to implement. Even if a member chooses to limit who can read their profile, an "ignore" button remains on that page for other members to click.

I hope @arn and his team will take this request under consideration.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Sorry I can’t help directly with your question, however note that in my experience mods are usually quite good at removing off-topic/disruptive/controversial posts, as well as political ones in the wrong forum, whenever alerted to them.
If you think some posts are problematic, just report them.

Reactions: japanime

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
@japanime There's a way, not handy or pretty, but it seems to work.

While you're on the profile page that tells you the user has restricted profile viewing, add "ignore" to their profile address and hit enter, then confirm you want to ignore them. So for instance:

Becomes:

After confirming you might see a bunch of forum code garble, but just browse back to the forums and the ignore is in effect (at least it was when I tested it just now).

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
@japanime There's a way, not handy or pretty, but it seems to work.

While you're on the profile page that tells you the user has restricted profile viewing, add "ignore" to their profile address and hit enter, then confirm you want to ignore them. So for instance:

Becomes:

After confirming you might see a bunch of forum code garble, but just browse back to the forums and the ignore is in effect (at least it was when I tested it just now).
It does indeed work. Thanks!

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
It does indeed work. Thanks!
I tried, except it asked if i wanted to stop ignoring!

Seems it hasn't been working for awhile.

In thread it says I'm ignoring the member but instead of hiding content it still shows.

Tried with different browsers. Cleared cache. No change.

I block 3rd party cookies
Use AdGuard Pro
Android 11
Same issue iOS Safari and Edge

Did I exceed the number of ignores the forum will handle? Seems like a forum update started this.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
For kicks, I tried the workaround on my own account, and got this ?

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 9.44.06 AM.png

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I tried, except it asked if i wanted to stop ignoring!

Did I exceed the number of ignores the forum will handle? Seems like a forum update started this.
While anything's possible, my experience is that if you go to the /ignore/ URL for a user you have already ignored, you will be offered to unignore them instead.

Reactions: AngerDanger
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.