Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCchad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
New York City
Hey,

I was screwin around the other night and sent this to apple and thought some of you might like to rip it to shreads. This is my take on what I want at a minimum for the iHome concept. I know that there are spelling errors probably...but who really cares, you get the point.

Post your Design ideas on Navigation, Interface, the Remote, and the Box!

I would love to see your ideas!

Below are some of my ideas, thoughts? More Ideas?

See below or go here http://www.youryork.com/apple/

Chad

PleaseIntroTheIHome.gif

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I'd hit it.

All though I do like the look of it with its minimal design I think it might be TO thin and cause alot of heat. Which wouldn't be that big of a deal but with the fans cooling it could potentially get loud for a semi quite tv room setting. Just a thought.

Was that even the kind of feedback you were looking for? :p

C

CompUser

Very intresting way of presenting that. It seemed very apple like.

I wonder what they'll think of your comment about dell "kicking you (apple's) ass)

Good ideas on intergrating everything together.

NYCchad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
New York City
iHome Kickin ideas

I posted this just so that we could all throw around ideas on making even better and for people to maybe post other ideas and interface design mock-ups. Hopefully they are developing something along these lines and maybe all of you can come up with ideas that they havent.

Has anyone actually heard anything about this besides those photos right before the mac mini came out?

Man I wish they would make this, developers would have so much fun with new apps and widgets would be perfect for this.

I was thinking about how you could navigate in the interface and I think that you pull off some dock-like menu system or somethings like the apple+tab menu. I know it sounds typical, but you could have a scroll wheel on the remote, although I dont think that it's the only mac navigation solution like so many people do.

I dont know, somebody mock up some interface ideas!

Chad

C

CompUser

I have an sorta unrelated idea.

A BT remote (for presentation) that can be stored in pcmcia slots in laptops. (if they don't already have that)

As for a controler for the iHome: (BlueTooth)
PowerButton: Powerbutton like on the i-series computers
Navigation: click-touch wheel like on 4th gen/mini iPods
Other Buttons: Touch buttons like on 3rd gen iPods
(^^for instance Mode or Input)

Have the remote's buttons backlit for using iHome in the dark

C

CompUser

You turn on your TV put it on input 1 or w/e.

You turn on your iHome. There is a desktop- but it is the current channel you are on (so the iHome is like a TV tuner). You press a button and a dock like thing comes up with icons representing videos, photos, music, DVD player, TV record function, prefs, and the other inputs on the back.

If you press videos it lets you pic from saved quicktimes of on the internal HD which were put on by your computer or streamed (or "shared"- like on itunes) through by your computer to play.

If you press photos it lets you look at differt folders of pics either saved on its HD or on shared on your Mac (or PC i guess). Slideshows can be put together or slideshows made on your mac can be viewed

if you press music it plays either music saved on itself or shared iTunes music.

If you click DVD player it lets you watch the DVD in its optical drive

If you press another button on the remote it will have a different dock pop up where you can schedule recording times or just by using the pause/record/rewind/back to real time buttons on your remote you can instantly pause/rewind/record you TV shows.

In the prefs there are options like time, input names, vchip, etc

then you can also click on the inputs to switch to your XBOX, PS2, VHS, etc.

you can directly plug in your camera using FW and save the video to the iHome. All saved TV shows and other videos can be synced with your Mac. Using your mac you can also tell it to record shows at a certain time without having to go over to program it.

50thVert

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
St. Louis, MO
NYC Chad, i had a VERY similar idea to yours about a month ago, except i expanded on it more. Id like to share some of my ideas with you when i return from my vacation. Feel free to PM me your aim s/n or your e-mail and we'll chat :)

-Zach

NYCchad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
New York City
I love it!

If i have the time I can mock up a interface, but It's gonna be tight for the next week or two.

Everyone comp up some ideas!

DO IT BEFORE APPLE DOES AND THEN YOU CAN SAY "I came up with that a year before" haha! jk.

But still do it for fun.

Great ideas CompUser!

Thanks for the feedback!

Chad

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
Nice, but there is some work to be done. It needs to be a little bigger, I mean, it'd look just odd with all of your other stuff, and the heat would be a problem. Also, cable card. And, I didn't see any video/sound inputs. BT keybo/mouse, and large text so you can use a regular computer from the couch as well as a mac version of media center. BT remote would be nice, so when someone is in your way you can still change channels. As a TiVo user, you need to have a serial cable for cable boxes, as well as ir blasters for other types of boxes. And a media reader/USB ports in the front, so you can look at pictures on it without having to pull it out to plug in your friends usb thumb drive. And support for non-hd tvs. We aint all rich. Yeah, the text aint readable, but for the media center it can be a lot bigger and more readable. And a REAL multi-function remote, that updates with more codes and such so it can mimik your TV remote and you don't have to dig it out to change the input or something like that. More buttons on the front for when you loose your remote [inevitable] so you can still pause or eject or whatever. Maybe a click wheel? Looks nice though. Don't mean to pick it apart. Just helpful tips.

NYCchad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
New York City
Right on ICE...

Good comments!

I thought about some of those, yeah heat would be crazy, maybe there are more vents on the top.

It's hard to see, but I did put other video and audio inputs...it talks about them on the side menu...but heres what I got...

- HDMI
- DVI
- Component
- S-Video
- VGA
- Optical Audio
- RCA L & R

I thought about having media slots in the front with usb port and what not, but then I thought somethings would still be done on your computers. I dont know, it's hard...what''s the line?

Does it grab from your computer or become a full fledged computer?

Either way great comments Thanks!

Chad

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
NYCchad said:
Good comments!

I thought about some of those, yeah heat would be crazy, maybe there are more vents on the top.

It's hard to see, but I did put other video and audio inputs...it talks about them on the side menu...but heres what I got...

- HDMI
- DVI
- Component
- S-Video
- VGA
- Optical Audio
- RCA L & R

I thought about having media slots in the front with usb port and what not, but then I thought somethings would still be done on your computers. I dont know, it's hard...what''s the line?

Chad

Well, your friend comes over with all the pics he took on vacation and wants to bore you with them. You don't have a slide projector, but a iHome instead. He pops in his card and starts the show up. You pop some popcorn in the microwave and call Dr. Kavorkian while he's prepping. That way you don't have to show him how much of a slob you are in your office, and then rely on your network to be in tip top shape. If you have an HDTV, why not be a full fledged computer? You have a 42" 'Cinema' display :rolleyes: Beat that Apple ;)

How bout a few more inputs too, one on the front, so you can toss out that Sony reciever, and just hook up your 5/7 speakers and sub up to it. Then it can be everything, just hook up your usb iVCR :D

C

CompUser

Have the whole silver front flip down so that you can still use the power, eject, and optical . But also located behind the silver/white front are the card reader slots, possibly some controls, USB port, FW port, airport signal strength lights, ethernet connection indicatior lights, and maybe video inputs.

Perhaps a color LCD above the optical. It could tell you info about the system like HD space taken up, airport stregnth, any connection problems, what mode it's in (TV, photos, music, dvd, video, etc). Also the movie times (like how much times is left), what channel your on, what song your playing, etc.

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
CompUser said:
Have the whole silver front flip down so that you can still use the power, eject, and optical . But also located behind the silver/white front are the card reader slots, possibly some controls, USB port, FW port, airport signal strength lights, ethernet connection indicatior lights, and maybe video inputs.

And a clock to boot! It can look like a VCR's, but you will be able to set it :D

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
NYCchad said:
Good comments!

- HDMI
- DVI
- Component
- S-Video
- VGA
- Optical Audio
- RCA L & R

Chad

Don't forget composite outputs!

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
I like the idea of a flip down bezel that reveals the media reader and usb ports and inputs and such. Possibly a headphone jack? Or wireless/bt phones? Why not caller id? You got the phone jack. Our Dish Network recievers have that and we LOVE it. And a FM tuner would be nice, but I think the XM/Sirius would be too expensive and not really effective. Maybe support it, but not include it. Add-in/usb tuner and one of those little home antannas.

C

CompUser

Bloo Ice said:
And a clock to boot! It can look like a VCR's, but you will be able to set it :D

Haha, yes that where I got the idea. Make it cool though like those steroes at sharper image. Press a button and automatically have the front pop out and then go back into itself, sorta like those TV cabinets at hotels where the doors fold into the tv cabinet.

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
Now that I think about it, yeah, real computer features. Think about it, you record Family Guy with iDVR, then open iMovie or Final Cut, and edit out the commercials, and if your really good the FOX and FOX [your state here][at least for me] logo, then open iDVD, pop in one, and burn it. Then make a cover for it, send it to your bt or printer connected to another computer over your network, and finish it up. Do this for every one and you have a pretty cheap collecton, so you miss a scene or two, oh well.

OOO, if you had a real life Automator you could have it put a blank DVD in and you wouldn't even have to get up :D Now, where do I send requests? :rolleyes:

C

CompUser

why buy a season of a show on DVD when you can make your own?

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
CompUser said:
why buy a season of a show on DVD when you can make your own?

Exactly! SELLING POINT!!! :D You can record your own commentary, on how you liked this scene more than that one, and make your own extras! lol It would be one of a kind

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
They're not going to use your idea now! you've told everybody about it, its not secret anymore!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.