Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyedoc_00

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
iPhoto '06?

When updating from iPhoto '05 to iPhoto '06, will all my pictures be transferred to the '06 library?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
eyedoc_00 said:
When updating from iPhoto '05 to iPhoto '06, will all my pictures be transferred to the '06 library?

They should be, but to be on the safe side it definitely wouldn't hurt to back up your current library. Better to be safe than sorry. :cool:

eyedoc_00

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
~Shard~ said:
They should be, but to be on the safe side it definitely wouldn't hurt to back up your current library. Better to be safe than sorry. :cool:

Thank you. Most of my library is backed up on CD's and DVD's. Over 7,000 pictures.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
eyedoc_00 said:
Thank you. Most of my library is backed up on CD's and DVD's. Over 7,000 pictures.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about then. :) And as I said, upgrading iPhoto should handle updating everything for you seamlessly, but hey, you never know what little glitch might happen, as remote as the possibility might be. ;)

eyedoc_00

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
~Shard~ said:
You shouldn't have anything to worry about then. :) And as I said, upgrading iPhoto should handle updating everything for you seamlessly, but hey, you never know what little glitch might happen, as remote as the possibility might be. ;)

I have learned the hard way about not having my pictures backed up. I lost over 3,000 pictures when my hard dirve failed (PC machine). I had to go to data recover to ge them back. Took over 3 months and a lot of stress of not knowing if we would ever get the pictures of my daughters first 3 years back.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
Hey guys,

Do you think the new iMacs will come with iLife '06 pre-installed or a disk in the box like the Mac Mini last year?

It was great to see some sites created with .mac. I wish we could use our email aliases, for a website. Then we could keep one, for family use only, and use one, for public use. Do you know what I mean? Not business use, but just more out there for everyone use.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
why don't you all get a iLife!!!!

I'm allowed to be goofy on my 500th post. (period)

I'm more curious about iWork - i'm pretty satisfied with how the iLife 05 apps work. It's iWork that I found to be borderline unusable - pages to be exact.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
The slideshow feature is Ace... but is it me, or are all the links posted really slow? The pages take ages to load! Why is that?! Perhaps it's .Mac hosting?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
eyedoc_00 said:
I have learned the hard way about not having my pictures backed up. I lost over 3,000 pictures when my hard dirve failed (PC machine). I had to go to data recover to ge them back. Took over 3 months and a lot of stress of not knowing if we would ever get the pictures of my daughters first 3 years back.

Yeah, it's horrible when things like that happen. No matter if its photos or any type of important data, it always pays to back up, and back up often. You just never know...

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
otoloui said:
Excited about the new version of iLife and pleasantly surprised by how small the packaging has become.

I look forward to hearing if the slow motion problems are fixed in this version of iMovie. Rendered slo-mo clips in iMovie 5 appeared very jerky when played back on a TV. Almost ruined a perfectly good holiday video! :)

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
DCBass said:
Nice dude. Way to give props to macrumors on your site.

I especially like the photo slideshow, with the reflection, navigation controls, and the slider up top most of all.

I might just have to get this puppy.

So far so good! I did not have much time to play with it last night, but I will have some time during this three day weekend. :D

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
nomad01 said:
I look forward to hearing if the slow motion problems are fixed in this version of iMovie. Rendered slo-mo clips in iMovie 5 appeared very jerky when played back on a TV. Almost ruined a perfectly good holiday video! :)

The updates to iPhoto are AWESOME. I'm glad I didn't dish out for Aperture, the updates are just enough to keep me happy and help me edit my photos after a photo shoot. iWeb seems like a great convenient way of keeping my website up to date, but they could definitely have more themes.

I wonder if you can change (i.e. udpate) your theme to a new one when one comes out or have to do it all over again. Any ideas?

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I used rapidweaver for my website, and they let you buy extra templates from other designers. I wonder if this will happen with iWeb?
I think it´s time to update my iLife4, just have to figure out how: Buy iLife6 or "save" some money and get a new iMac with it installed?:p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
yoak said:
I think it´s time to update my iLife4, just have to figure out how: Buy iLife6 or "save" some money and get a new iMac with it installed?:p

Well, if you're going to spend $79 on iLife alone, you might as well just spend the extra $1620 and buy a nice new iMac - definitely the better value. ;) :cool:

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I bought ilife yesterday and then ordered a new MBP last night. I thought ilife would hold me over, but, I was too weak. :eek: If I were to uninstall it, can I legally sell ilife 06?

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
i'm not sure upgrading would really be worth it to me. i rarely use iPhoto, iDVD, and iMovie; and i use dreamweaver for my website on my own server with my own domain, so i would have no use for iWeb. i am interested in the upgrades to garageband and the widescreen menus in iDVD, but i don't think that is worth $80... :cool:

maybe i'll wait till '07...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
nospleen said:
If I were to uninstall it, can I legally sell ilife 06?

You'll receive a new copy of iLife with your laptop, which is "tied" to the computer. You will, however, be able to sell your retail copy.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
otoloui said:
The updates to iPhoto are AWESOME. I'm glad I didn't dish out for Aperture, the updates are just enough to keep me happy and help me edit my photos after a photo shoot. iWeb seems like a great convenient way of keeping my website up to date, but they could definitely have more themes.

I wonder if you can change (i.e. udpate) your theme to a new one when one comes out or have to do it all over again. Any ideas?
I love the iPhoto updates too. It's one of my most used iLife programs. I even bought a new digital camera to take advantage of it. It seems like fullscreen editing and one touch filters should have been there FOREVER. I like the comparison feature too.

I use iMovie mostly to encode my digital camera films. It does a good job of cutting down on the 4100 kbps MPEG-4 video my camera takes.

I've wanted to podcast and now Garageband 3 seems to be the perfect tool. I tinkered with Garageband 2 but it wasn't a complete solution for me. Now it looks great with iChat interviewing and how the background samples weaken when someone speaks.

I didn't expect the package to be so tiny though. It's just big enough to fit the CD's in.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Nermal said:
You'll receive a new copy of iLife with your laptop, which is "tied" to the computer. You will, however, be able to sell your retail copy.

It will be my only mac, so that is okay with me. I just feel like I am breaking some rules by selling it. But, I am glad to know that I am not.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
.mac neccessary for iweb?

Skimmed thru both pages of this thread, so forgive me if this question has been answered.

Is iweb only for use with a .mac account?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.