Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Chobit said:
...My biggest gripe at the moment is lack of support for vertically written languages...

I'll settle for a "Font" menu. If that's the only change, I'll take it! :)

Chobit

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2003
NY
jsalzer said:
I'll settle for a "Font" menu. If that's the only change, I'll take it! :)

Hm.. I must prefer the command-T font popup inspector dealy than a menu. I find most programs have too many/poorly designed menus nowadays, and the column view of that dealy (and the fact that its becoming standard in mac apps) is nice.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
The Other One

Chobit said:
Hm.. I must prefer the command-T font popup inspector dealy than a menu. I find most programs have too many/poorly designed menus nowadays, and the column view of that dealy (and the fact that its becoming standard in mac apps) is nice.

Uck. I'm OK with the Inspector, but the Font palette is terrible. First, it's too wide to sit next to your window (rather than blocking most of it), even on my large (17 inch) screen. Let alone on my Pismo.

And, most importantly, the inability to see each font name in its own font. There are times when I want to browse for "the right font". Even if that font palette allowed you to use your arrows to scroll down the list and see the sample change, it'd be OK. But, as it is, you have to click on each font with the mouse and use the scroll bar if you want to browse. What a pain. A Font menu item is much more practical. Or at least allow for it in Preferences.

:)

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
JFreak said:
That is implemented in Tiger very well. It's called Spotlight. I'm so glad that Apple has guts to not implement every feature that anybody asks for, because in my (not so humble) opinion Apple has a better view about this than most of us. iPhoto is great! If only they would optimise the database engine better, because the app doesn't behave well when you have +100k photos.

Spotlight comments applied in the finder don't even work in iPhoto, so when you couple that with the fact that you can't rename files in iPhoto, the whole lot becomes useless. iPhoto is too much of an island.

And since you can't reorganize image hierarchy in the finder of iPhoto images, they had better be tagged and named exactly as I'll forever want them for spotlight usage in the future. iPhoto is really fighting spotlight on this one, not taking advantage of it.

Looking at it now, and this will really anoy me if it's true- iPhoto also appears to STRIP all Spotlight comments when it imports images. Do I have a bug or is this true?

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
What would be an amazing surprise and would really drop the bomb for iWork '06 is to put in not only a spreadsheet program, but a GOOD word processor. AppleWorks has long been an obvious comparison to MS Works, and NOT MS Word. They could call it Quill or something.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Meyvn said:
What would be an amazing surprise and would really drop the bomb for iWork '06 is to put in not only a spreadsheet program, but a GOOD word processor. AppleWorks has long been an obvious comparison to MS Works, and NOT MS Word. They could call it Quill or something.

Pages is already a very good word processor.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
Numbered photos in iPhoto

theappleguy said:
I agree. That's one of the reasons why I have never used iPhoto. I like to know exactly where all my photos are and having them in numbered folders doesn't really cut it.

First, I too would like to see the iPhoto browser change. In fact, I'd like it to be finder based so that you can drag and drop images into folders you create in the iPhoto Library folder and have iPhoto read this structure as well as the structure it imposes. Having said that, the iphoto library structure is first by year, then month, then day. So if you import a photo on December 4, 2005 you'll see a directory like this: username/pictures/iPhoto Library/2005/12/04/picturename.

2005 is the year, 12 is the month, and 04 is the date of import. If the date and time are correct on your computer and camera, and you view this information in list view from the finder, it makes a certain kind of sense.

Also, if you have problems with your iPhoto library, after making a backup, open iPhoto with the opt-cmd keys held down and you can have iPhoto fix a lot of problems. I've used this trick on a couple of occasions and both times it fixed my problems beautifully. I just wish there was a safe way to delete non-essential iPhoto Library files and folders without running the risk of screwing things up.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Pages is already a very good word processor.

While I applaud Apple for thinking out of the box (instead of copying MS Word like most other word processors do), it has a long way to go before it can be described as very good. As of now, it's just not much more than a nice basic word processor.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
OCOTILLO said:
In my opinion, Pages is a lousy word processor.

Then by all means, don't use it. Not that you've explain why you think so... but be assured that for many of us, Pages is working out very well.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
nutmac said:
While I applaud Apple for thinking out of the box (instead of copying MS Word like most other word processors do), it has a long way to go before it can be described as very good. As of now, it's just not much more than a nice basic word processor.

As someone who uses it every single day, I'd say that Pages goes quite a long way beyond basic -- but assuming it was true, is something actually wrong with basic?

It's been said here several times already but I suppose bears repeating that (1) not everybody is looking for a Word clone, and (2) a modest number of features implemented well is a better software design goal than many features implemented poorly.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Like...

IJ Reilly said:
...Not that you've explain why you think so... but be assured that for many of us, Pages is working out very well.

I was thinking the same thing. What are the features that people find lacking in Pages that Word has? And, more importantly, it is possible that either:

a) You just haven't figured out how to do it in Pages (there is a learning curve); or

b) That feature shouldn't be in a Word Processor in the first place and is just a matter of Microsoft trying to make Word too many things at once?????

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
mambodancer said:
I'd like it to be finder based so that you can drag and drop images into folders you create in the iPhoto Library folder and have iPhoto read this structure as well as the structure it imposes.
In a sense, iPhoto is a secondary file-system just for photos. iTunes also has it's own file system for songs. And Mail.app has it's own file structure for emails. I'd like to see these file systems more seemlesssly combined.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
GregA said:
In a sense, iPhoto is a secondary file-system just for photos. iTunes also has it's own file system for songs. And Mail.app has it's own file structure for emails. I'd like to see these file systems more seemlesssly combined.

iTunes only has it's own file system of you CHOOSE to use it, and in any case, it is an obvious organization in the finder that can be easily browsed.

Emails aren't like photos- you don't really use your emails in other ways like you do photos.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
Dm84 said:
You need to buy a UPS if you have an unstable power delivery system where you live. In fact everyone should have a UPS whether that's a concern or not, because you never know when the power will go out.

All right you got me.:rolleyes:
But Pages still needs an auto save feature or a recover last unsaved document feature.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
jsalzer said:
I was thinking the same thing. What are the features that people find lacking in Pages that Word has? And, more importantly, it is possible that either:

a) You just haven't figured out how to do it in Pages (there is a learning curve); or

b) That feature shouldn't be in a Word Processor in the first place and is just a matter of Microsoft trying to make Word too many things at once?????

1. Auto save
2. A font menu that is easier to use one where you can use the up/down buttons and scroll throught the fonts until you find one you like with out having to click on each one.
3. The ability to change some of the defoults within Pages. Ex. Everytime you add a new picture or text box it makes it defaults it to "Object causes wrap" and you have to go and un click each item. (Very annoying)
Also every item is defaulted to "scale to size" when making bigger or smaller. You have to go and uncheck that box for each item. It would be really neat to set the default not to do this.

I use Pages every single day, 7days a week. I have really taken the time to find it's strenghts and the areas that need attention. I have mentioned three.

Overall Pages is a very nice program, but as one poster pointed out there is a learning curve, but remember it's an Apple product..."Think Different".

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
bbyrdhouse said:
1. Auto save
2. A font menu that is easier to use one where you can use the up/down buttons and scroll throught the fonts until you find one you like with out having to click on each one.
3. The ability to change some of the defoults within Pages. Ex. Everytime you add a new picture or text box it makes it defaults it to "Object causes wrap" and you have to go and un click each item. (Very annoying)
Also every item is defaulted to "scale to size" when making bigger or smaller. You have to go and uncheck that box for each item. It would be really neat to set the default not to do this.

I use Pages every single day, 7days a week. I have really taken the time to find it's strenghts and the areas that need attention. I have mentioned three.

Overall Pages is a very nice program, but as one poster pointed out there is a learning curve, but remember it's an Apple product..."Think Different".

1. Only if it's optional. I prefer to save manually.
2. This is a characteristic of Cocoa applications -- a bug or a feature, depending on how you feel about it. I think the entire font pane needs some improvement, which will help all applications that depend on it.
3. Can these defaults be saved within a custom template? Not sure myself, because I haven't tried.

A few of improvements I hope to see in Pages 2.0:

- Page splitting. I like to be able to look at more than one part of the document at one time.
- The cursor function needs to change (and change visibly) when you're mousing over a graphic. The way it stands now, selecting a graphic requires mousing into the document margins and clicking, otherwise you essentially get a text tool and can't manipulate the graphic object. This is very non-intuitive but should be easy to fix.
- Ability to customize widow and orphan controls (also, a bug in w & o control needs to be fixed).
- Drag and drop page insertions. The ability to add different page layouts to document is great, but how to you get the new page to go in the right place in the document, and how do you reorder it if you don't choose the right place or change your mind? Unless I've missed something, this can't be done now in Pages. Along with this should be page thumbnails, or at a least side-by-side page display.

... so I can think of lots of ways to improve Pages, which doesn't mean Pages is a "lousy word processor." It's very good for a first version and has lots of room to grow into something great -- unlike Word, which has been expanded and revised so many times without a fundamental rethinking of its basic design that (IMO) it's now irretrievable.

mdelaney123

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2004
JFreak said:
The fact that some picture file formats allow storing metadata does not necessarily mean that all picture file formats support it, and even if there IS metadata, it is not necessarily of the same format. Instead of file-level metadata it makes a great deal more sense to have a global catalog of picture attributes

Why does it make more sense? Why not do both -- Have a catalog and store the metadata in the EXIF that is already there?

JFreak said:
I'm so glad that Apple has guts to not implement every feature that anybody asks for, because in my (not so humble) opinion Apple has a better view about this than most of us.

Hunh? Are you serious? :eek:

I am not saying that Apple should have iPhoto strangled with useless features... BUT, Apple should try to make iPhoto a better photo organizer:

1. Store the photos in the library in a LOGICAL format. iTunes does it, so should iPhoto.

2. If you are not going to do #1, then give the user the option to use their own directory structure.

This is VERY BASIC stuff here. As it is now, iPhoto stores your photos in a dis-organized, MESS of a directory!!! I know you said that you have backups, but heaven forbid you loose your catalog AND your backup fails! It would take an EXPERT months to get their photos out of that directory and back into an organized format!

3. When I change the date of a photo, add a keyword, caption, rating... Store that information in the EXIF of the file. THE FIELDS ARE ALREADY THERE to do this!

Again, if you only store this information in a catalog, you a running a BIG risk. You are also trusting that you will use iPhoto for the rest of your life! If not, again, you have LOST ALL YOUR WORK, and worse, have a HUGE task just to get your photos out of that gosh-darn Catalog!!!!

JFreak said:
iPhoto is great!

I disagree... iDVD is great! iMovie is great! iTunes is great.

iPhoto is dangerous for anyone who is even remotely serious about organizing their photos on a PC!

I would go so far as to say that iPhoto does the EXACT OPPOSITE of its intended purpose!

JFreak said:
You have become used to that app and every other app is different. There's no reason to whine about the design principles of other apps, because the main reason for the whine is that YOU have so much become used to something that YOU would want to continue using a photo library app just the same way.

I purchased an Apple several years ago soley for 2 applications: iPhoto and iDVD. Before I used iPhoto, the only photo organization I had was the directory structure I created. I wanted more. I imported 4000+ photos into iPhoto. I added several keywords to each photo. I corrected the Date Taken on several of the photos. I gave ratings to several of the photos.

I then realized all of my points above -- about how the catalog is a single point of failure, and if gone, all of my work would be lost... I stopped using iPhoto immediatly and went back to using my own directories for organization. I am STILL TRYING to get those photos out of that darn iPhoto Library.

JFreak said:
The problem is that Apple is not at fault if YOUR favourite app is not ported to OSX, am I right? Apple's solution is great and if you don't like it, you have other alternatives.

On OSX, I have no other good alternatives to iPhoto... iPhoto has the potential to be a REALLY GREAT program. I like the books, the ease of use, the integration with iMovie and iDVD... But man, I will NOT use it for its intended purpose: To organize photos!

JFreak said:
The catalog is in the core of iPhoto, it's not just metadata.

Again, why not do both? Use a catalog and store the metadate in the EXIF?

JFreak said:
The reason why iPhoto stores photo files in year/month/day directory structure is however somewhat redundant.

iPhoto does NOT store files in a year/month/day directory structure. In fact, the word 'structure' should not even be used in that statement! iPhoto uses what seems to be random, meaningless directories to store and organize your photos!

JFreak said:
You can just never satisfy everyone. Power users usually want different things than regular users, and as iPhoto is a part of iLife (made for regular users), I'd say power users should not whine, even if iPhoto currently isn't as good as it can be (for them). It's great in what it has been designed to be, which is making digital photography a piece of cake for my in-laws ;)

If you honestly and in a way that they would understand, explain to your in-laws what iPhoto is doing to their photos, I guarantee they would NOT want to use iPhoto.

Here is how I would explain it to mine:

iPhoto is like hiring a guy to hold all your photos. When you give your files to that guy (import your photos) he will take them and randomly put them in a closet. He will write down where he put them, but he will not tell you. When you want to want to change a date, or add a keyword, he will write them down, but not on the back of the photo like you would. Again, he will not tell you where he stored this information.

Now, you do this for years with the same guy. You have given him thousands of your photos and he has just kept putting them in that closet.

All of a sudden, the guy dies (catalog is corrupted). You open the closet, an see boxes and boxes within boxes. (nested directories). The boxes are only marked with random, meaningless numbers. You start looking through the boxes only to see that even when you gave the guy a group of pictures all at once, say from a 3 day vacation, he decided to split those pictures up and places them in many different boxes....

I hope you get my point... I don't understand your strong stance on thinking iPhoto is so great. iPhoto is the one rotten Apple in the iLife bunch. :cool:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
jsalzer said:

I like Pages' potential. Working on a clean sheet of paper is what I always imagined in a word processor. But at the same time, I am spoiled by Word's features. Most notables include:
  • Grammar checker: although Word's grammar checker isn't anywhere near full proof, it offers enough corrections to be valuable (e.g., misuse of plurals).
  • Revision tracking: when you share documents with others, which is quite frequent these days, this is a must have feature.
  • Word compatibility: I am not looking for 100% compatibility with Word, but when majority uses and depends on Word format, Pages need better import/export filter than what it has now.
  • Highly customizable toolbar: although Pages toolbar is customizable to some extent, the selection is rather sparse. I want all of Pages features (at least most) available as 1-click access on its toolbar.
  • Anti alias: for some reason, Pages still insist of soft anti alias setting, ignoring OS's setting.

I realize Pages is much cheaper alternative to Word (or I guess Publisher), so I have kept my wish list to features that I think it must implement.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I gave up on grammar checkers probably 15 years ago after only a brief exposure to what they can do, which isn't much. I decided that I really don't want my word processor telling me how to write.

If something less than 100% Word compatibility is your goal, then Pages has already met it. I open Word docs in Pages with more success than I ever had with AppleWorks. It's never going to be perfect unless/until Microsoft opens their file formats.

I'm not a big fan of revision tracking, but I guess other people find it useful.

My biggest fear is that Pages will succumb to feature bloat.

Chobit

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2003
NY
mdelaney123 said:
iPhoto does NOT store files in a year/month/day directory structure. In fact, the word 'structure' should not even be used in that statement! iPhoto uses what seems to be random, meaningless directories to store and organize your photos!

I give you the pictures I took on the sixteenth of october, 2005 (2005.10.16) conveniently in a folder labeled ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/2005/10/16.

Now, I can see someone wanting them organized differently, and it would be nice if you could right click an image and do reveal in finder (like I do in itunes to get to a song file) in order to get to an actual picture file. But I usually want to export anyway, because normally I want to scale the photos before use. I'm sure having a different structure would help a lot of people, but I guess just not me.

iphotodirectory.jpg

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Chobit said:
I give you the pictures I took on the sixteenth of october, 2005 (2005.10.16) conveniently in a folder labeled ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/2005/10/16

iPhoto first tries to find standard EXIF data from the picture file, and if it doesn't find it, iPhoto uses import date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.