Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Hi, anyone proficient at Illustrator?? I have a really simple issue in filling a small section of a logo I converted to vector. I have no clue what I'm doing, but I got it to where everything's all set minus this one tiny issue.

If you have a few minutes, PM me and I'll send the file over - If you know the program, I'm guessing it will take all of 20 seconds. I'm just impaired it seems.

daxx

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2006
Plymouthbreezer said:
All set - thanks!

One question though, how do I get everything to ONE layer, like even the shapes within a layer??

Easy...

Open your layers palette
Select all
See the coloured little squares on the extreme right side of the palette. Drag each one to the layer you want one at a time.
Done. But if the order of them is important, you may have to play around with how they sit ontop of one another.

Dax
:)

Attachments

• Layers.jpg
    Layers.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 366

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Or just Apple+A, then Apple+X, then Apple+F.

(This selects all, cuts it and pastes it all on the currently selected layer)

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Why don't you try flattening the layers. This option is contained under the flyout window within the layers palette.

ecwyatt

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2005
decksnap said:
If you do what I sugggested, it should work.
All this will do is gather the various items from other "layer groups" and combines them into one new "layer group". This is the same as doing what Black&Tan suggested, by using the fly out.

You can not get rid of the sub layers and still have it be an editable Illustrator file.

Why are you trying to get rid of the sub layers?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
OK- misunderstood. Yeah those are your objects. Do you want to get rid of your objects?

To get it all down to one 'sublayer', Apple + A, Apple + G.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
decksnap said:
OK- misunderstood. Yeah those are your objects. Do you want to get rid of your objects?

To get it all down to one 'sublayer', Apple + A, Apple + G.
That was exactly what I was trying to do. :)

I still can't touch any of it with the brush tool though, why not?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
You probably should be able to move/delete with the white arrow (direct select) tool to select the point and move or delete them.

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
os x has a built in zip function... right click the file(s) you want zipped, and select "Create archive of..." something like that.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
Plymouthbreezer said:
I would - but I have to ask, what do I zip it with? Stuffit free version doesn't zip, does it?

Sorry to pipe in but if its saved on your desktop, then control click or right click on that file depending on your mouse and select "create archive". Then it will be zipped.:)

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
bowzer said:
os x has a built in zip function... right click the file(s) you want zipped, and select "Create archive of..." something like that.
Yeah, I knew about that - but that never makes any of my files small when I use it.

Actually, It decreased the file from 380KB to 316KB.

Edit: Saving as a copy and then zipping worked I think.

Now it's not uploading.. Gah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.