Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conamc7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Thessaloniki, Greece
Good morning from Grecia.

Im a bit confused about how the new apple watch will work with esim.
Tim said that the series 3 will have esim, so we can use it for calls and for data.
Also said that the series 3 with esim will share the same number with iphone.
So, do i still need to have an iphone to use the apple watch? If i dont have an iphone can i go to my carier and buy a new number for my apple watch? Or i i have an iphone and i want a different number for my watch, do i have the choice?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Sorry but you have to have an iPhone 6 or later device using iOS 11. The Apple Watch is designed to be paired with an iPhone and you have to use the paired iPhone to actually activate the LTE plan.

Your LTE watch shares your iPhone's mobile number to send and receive calls and messages. I don't know of a carrier that offers an Apple Watch 3 LTE only plan. It is considered part of the "Wearable" market and uses and add-on plan to select Carrier plans.

Dave

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Sorry but you have to have an iPhone 6 or later device using iOS 11. The Apple Watch is designed to be paired with an iPhone and you have to use the paired iPhone to actually activate the LTE plan.

Your LTE watch shares your iPhone's mobile number to send and receive calls and messages. I don't know of a carrier that offers an Apple Watch 3 LTE only plan. It is considered part of the "Wearable" market and uses and add-on plan to select Carrier plans.

Dave

Are you referring to US market? US phone companies may be impossible policy limitations where there are no technical limits.

In EU it is possible to have standalone data-only SIM cards. And multiple SIM cards to a single phone number. And a mix of both. So there are people who have for example activated the Samsung Gear S as a solo device.

Most likely Apple with lock this down, but that’s an active choice of crippling the device, not necessarily a global limitation of mobile network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.