Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
So, I am going to put Fusion on here I think. I guess my question now is, do I need to clean off a large chunk of the hard drive or does it not matter? What I mean is, does it use it's own partition? If not, I'm ready to install all this. If it does take a separate partition, I'm going to have to hurry and burn some DVD's and delete a bunch of stuff. So, let me know. And thanks for helping clear up my confusion. I don't really get all this stuff, but oh well.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Just a word of caution, and I'm not sure since I haven't gone either route yet, but from what I've been reading if you get an OEM of XP you can only install it on either Parrallels or Bootcamp not both. If I'm wrong about this I'm sure someone will let me know. I'm guessing it's the same for Fusion etc.. I'm not really sure but something you might want to check on.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
So, I am going to put Fusion on here I think. I guess my question now is, do I need to clean off a large chunk of the hard drive or does it not matter? What I mean is, does it use it's own partition? If not, I'm ready to install all this. If it does take a separate partition, I'm going to have to hurry and burn some DVD's and delete a bunch of stuff. So, let me know. And thanks for helping clear up my confusion. I don't really get all this stuff, but oh well.

Fusion is an application just like iTunes or Coda. What you will need to do is make sure you have free space because Fusion stores the Virtual Machine in a folder, and you can set it to keep growing as you need it. So you can say... give me a 20GB image, but only be as large on teh disk as it needs to be. So after you install XP, you will have a 3-4GB image.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Somewhere in Cupertino, Steve Jobs is quietly reaching for a tissue. I can't believe you made him cry. :( May Wozniak have mercy on your soul!!!

I also made a girl at work cry because I didn't get a customer's job done on time. I am an evil person! :mad:

Helfeather

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
Boots into XP by defualt? Ack! Why not just buy a Dell?! :eek:

BTW, can Boot Camp have a shared drive or folder on the Mac partition? (Can files be shared on both OSs?)

I didn't buy a Macbook Pro for the OS lol.

I bought it cause:

1. The processor is nice (2.4 Ghz)
2. The design is nice (unlike bulky Dells)
3. Nice video card (For games)
4. Nice extra features (ex: keyboard illumination)
5. Good battery power (3~5.5 hours depending on tasks)
6. Fair price considering its specs

Mac OS on Macbook Pro is great for battery power tho, I think I can pull off 5.5 hours max on text processing vs. Windows XP which can go up to 3.5 max doing the samething (Windows uses a lot more resources I think).

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Windows is currently installing on my MBP via Fusion. I set up the virtual drive at 12gb, so I hope that is enough for the single program i need to run. All files created from it will be saved to jump drives and given to the salespeople at work, so that shouldn't matter. I'll let you all know how it works tomorrow when I install the actual program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.