Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gnx231

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2021
Hello everyone, I don't know what to do at this point. I was trying to upgrade my 2010 Mac pro 5, 1 from Mojave to Sonoma using open core legacy patcher. I've never had an issue using it before. Somehow something happened. My drive was corrupted. I formatted it on my MacBook pro and then try to reinstall and now I can't get anywhere. I can't get Mac arrest recovery. I can't get safe mode. I can't get anything. I don't know what to do. All I keep getting is a flashing folder with the? In it when I try to go to internet recovery or anything and when I try to use my reinstall USB drive it just hangs

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Mac Pro 5,1 has no internet recovery.

I assume you have no backup (what is a bad idea).

re-install Mojave by booting a Mojave createinstallmedia Installer stick.

And if you want to test other installations do it on a separate disk.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You can create the Mojave USB installer on your MacBook Pro (or other macOS’s Dosdude patched installer, or OCLP macOS installer), then run it on your cMP.

The recovery partition is located on the boot drive if you formatted it, there will be no recovery partition for you to use.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Gnx231

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2021
Thank you for all the responses. I was able to load Mountain Lion on a second ssd I had via my Macbook. I then loaded up el cap, HS,mojeva, and then back to Monterey. (which is where I was prior to doing this.). I ran into a few issues. I am running a Radeon rx6800 but now it shows up as display 7mb or display 14 mb.

Gnx231

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2021
I have no idea what is going on with this . I can install Monterey using the stock Mac GPU. Everything looks good turn it off put my rx6800 back in and nothing.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have no idea what is going on with this . I can install Monterey using the stock Mac GPU. Everything looks good turn it off put my rx6800 back in and nothing.
Why don't you just install Monterey with the 6800?

The OCLP root patching will patch the system files for your stock GPU. Which makes the 6800 can't run properly after you swap graphic card.

Ideally, you should install Monterey with the 6800 if you want to use OCLP.

Or, you can install Monterey unpatched, then you can swap graphic card anytime you want.

Or, may be you can run the OCLP root patch again (with 6800 installed) to fix the issue (remote control may allow you to see the screen).

Gnx231

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2021
OK. First, let me thank you for responding, I really appreciate the help. So I tried to install Monterey without open core and it it said I wasn't able to install that OS so I wouldn't know how to do that. I think you may be correct that Open Core won't allow the 6800 anymore. but I can't see anything without putting my Mac card in. I will give you a little background on this. after buying this I put a metal capable Radeon 7970 in it, I then used Oclp to put big sur. Used it that way for a long time. decided to go up to Monterey, again with no issues. I then upgraded to an RX580 with no issues. I then got the 6800 flashed it on a Windows computer and popped it right in and everything was perfect. all the while when I upgraded my OS to Monterey I simply clicked the upgrade button with no problem. I never upgraded to Ventura because everyone said it had a few problems. but a few days ago when Sonoma came out everyone was saying it ran perfectly with oclp 1.0.0. so here we are. So none of my video cars work other than the stock Mac one. I am running two Thunderbolt displays though a Titan Ridge PCIe card (flashed). yesterday I was able to see the 6800 (only on a separate monitor (non thunderbolt). today can't even get them to flash. it seems as if the computer has no drivers for other cards. they don't even spin up on initial startup like they used to. Thank you again.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
OK. First, let me thank you for responding, I really appreciate the help. So I tried to install Monterey without open core and it it said I wasn't able to install that OS so I wouldn't know how to do that. I think you may be correct that Open Core won't allow the 6800 anymore. but I can't see anything without putting my Mac card in. I will give you a little background on this. after buying this I put a metal capable Radeon 7970 in it, I then used Oclp to put big sur. Used it that way for a long time. decided to go up to Monterey, again with no issues. I then upgraded to an RX580 with no issues. I then got the 6800 flashed it on a Windows computer and popped it right in and everything was perfect. all the while when I upgraded my OS to Monterey I simply clicked the upgrade button with no problem. I never upgraded to Ventura because everyone said it had a few problems. but a few days ago when Sonoma came out everyone was saying it ran perfectly with oclp 1.0.0. so here we are. So none of my video cars work other than the stock Mac one. I am running two Thunderbolt displays though a Titan Ridge PCIe card (flashed). yesterday I was able to see the 6800 (only on a separate monitor (non thunderbolt). today can't even get them to flash. it seems as if the computer has no drivers for other cards. they don't even spin up on initial startup like they used to. Thank you again.
You need OpenCore to install Monterey onto cMP, but just not necessary OCLP.

I never use OCLP, but I believe you can choose not to run the root patcher after OS installation. However, I don't know how well it works with that config. I believe OCLP assume you will patch the system files, and the config base on that to code.

The Monterey installer should contain 6800's driver. And 6800 should able to show boot screen via OpenCore boot picker. So, you should able to see the screen with just the 6800 to install Monterey.

However, I really don't know if the same logic can work via a TB3 card. There should be no driver for the TB3 card until you boot to the OS. The installer should contain the driver, but I never test it.

If you have 7970, and you are stuck with the 6800. May be you can install Mojave natively with the 7970 and non TB monitor. Then install OpenCore, and upgrade to Monterey (do NOT patch anything). Then swap in the 6800.

As long as the system files are unpatched. You can swap graphic card without extra restriction.

Gnx231

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2021
ok, correction. The Mac card I have is a 5770. and I also have a 7970 non-mac card. I don't know what you mean buy installing os without the patch. When I start it up it just seems like the video card a(any other than 5770 mac card isn't there) the fans just spin slowly. I tried using hdmi to a non thunderbolt monitor from 6800 and nothing.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
ok, correction. The Mac card I have is a 5770. and I also have a 7970 non-mac card. I don't know what you mean buy installing os without the patch. When I start it up it just seems like the video card a(any other than 5770 mac card isn't there) the fans just spin slowly. I tried using hdmi to a non thunderbolt monitor from 6800 and nothing.
OCLP basically has two main parts. OpenCore and the Root Patcher.

When you run the root patcher, it will patch the system files according to your hardware.

e.g. In Monterey, if you install the OS with 5770. Since 5770 isn't a supported GPU, the root patcher will patch the system files to make the 5770 works. However, it also means the system files now can only work with that particular GPU. This is why you should not swap GPU after root patching.

For Ventura or Sonoma, due to the cMP has no AVX2, root patching is required no matter which GPU you install. Therefore, the GPU type is always locked.

Therefore, whenever you use OCLP, you should install the OS with the GPU that you want to actually use.

Or for Monterey, you may only use OCLP to install OpenCore for you, but do not run the root patcher. So that, you can keep the flexibility for you to swap graphic card.

Gnx231

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2021
Thank you so much for your detailed response. I was so focused on the problem I failed to see exactly what you meant. You were correct. I reverted the patch back and installed my 6800 and it works. I can't tell you how much your help means to me. I need this computer and was going crazy so I just overlooked what you had said. It dawned on me last night. Thank you again. Should I even bother with Sonoma?

Gnx231

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2021
i'm wondering if i put my rx 580back in my MP then update to sanoma then add the radeon rx6800 as a second GPU to use in resolve would that work?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Won't work. There is no support for NAVI GPUs after Monterey when installed to a MacPro5,1.

NAVI 2x GPUs drivers for Ventura and Sonoma require AVX2 instructions, which the MacPro5,1 Xeons does not have.

Gnx231

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2021
it would be for my mac pro 5,1. I have a rx 6800 in it now running Monterey but i want tp upgrade to Sanoma but looks like I can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.