Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abominog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Hell A., California
Being shipped- G4 iMac, 768MB, to be used with Monsoon MM-2000 sound system, ATI Xclaim USB tee-vee tuner

iMac 450 DV+, 384MB, 20GB, 10GB VST FW HD, AirPort, Bose Media Mate speakers, infrared remote, MyTV tee-vee tuner, USB Zip, VST CDRW

Lombard 333, 192MB, 12 GB IBM HD, VST Zip Module, VST DVD Module, Farallon 11mbps wireless card, FW2GO card

Performa 6200CD, OS 8.1, 48MB, 1GB, TV Tuner card, Ethernet card

Quadra 630, OS8.1, 40MB RAM, 500MB HD

Performa 466, OS 7.5.5, 40MB RAM

Color Classic, Sonnet 040 upgrade, OS 8.1, 48MB RAM

Mac SE 800K, 7.1, 8MB RAM, 250MB HD

LCII, 7.5.5, 8MB RAM (idle)

SE30 (parts donor)

eMate 300

MP130, Plug- in keyboard, battery charging cradle, Apple fax modem

MP130

MP120 (parts donor)

AirPort Base Station- v. 1 (resurrected with capacitor transplant) on 768k DSL

Abominog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Hell A., California
Originally posted by eyelikeart
is this your collection?

Oh ya, except I *never* call it a "collection" (at least not in front of the wifey ; )

Each item is in use on a regular, if not constant basis, e.g., the 2 tee-vee outfitted ones are our only tee-vees in the house. The iMac is in the kitchen (also has Quicken, etc.), the 6300CD is the bedroom tee-vee, the CC is a print server (conected to a StyleWriter 2400), the Performa is a 24/7 fax station, the SE is an alarm clock, the 630 is for our 6 year- old daughter's room and runs AfterDark "Disney" for a nightlight, clock and also for her games when her little friends come over and want to play on the iMac (I only let fully- trained kids like mine to touch the expensive machines), the PowerBook is a DVD/tee-vee/sound sytem (when I'm not out with it on occasion) using the Monsoons and the XClaim tuner (we don't have any other "stereo" in the house). The PowerBook will remain to run the SCSI scanner, but the G4 iMac will take over in the living room as the all- purpose/entertainment Mac, and, now, to burn DVDs. The eMate I use for mobile writing (that's what I do- write), the 1st 130 stays in my car for notes/mileage/addresses and the second stays at the bed side for similar use and note taking of mid- night "brainstorms" or reading e-books via backlight.

I love them all and work dilligently to make enough money to buy more as often as possible. However, over the last 5 years of using Macs, I have also owned about 12 other machines. They were either traded- up (as with my beige G3 -> Lombard and Bondi iMac -> DV+ iMac), given to family or re- sold for profit.

I realize in writing this that I only acquire and keep Macs that I can put to a definite, productive use. Although, I'm not sure if that's my utilitarian spirit or my wife's guilt- inducing hex that prompts me to do so. As for the 100 bucks I spent on the little Apple- logo 1/34 scale racing car I bought on ebay, I'm waiting on that before I show it to her.

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
what's with all the touchy b|tches around here? It was a friendly comment guy!!!

Abominog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Hell A., California
erm.... "you're weird" is a "friendly" comment? I suppose you consider calling me a "touchy b|tch" is friendly too?

Get bent... And have a nice day : )

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
erm.... "you're weird" is a "friendly" comment? I suppose you consider calling me a "touchy b|tch" is friendly too?

weird (wîrd)
adj. weird·er, weird·est
1. Of a strikingly odd or unusual character
2. Archaic. Of or relating to fate or the Fates.

i can't, at least off hand, think of many people that so fully use Macs like you have. so yes, in this respect, you are weird. Since you are so sensitive, i will put it more plainly: i am amzed by the many uses you have for Apple computers around your house.

And no, a touchy b|tch is the way you responded, not any compliment of character

touch·y (tch)
adj. touch·i·er, touch·i·est
Tending to take offense with slight cause; oversensitive.
Requiring special tact or skill in handling; delicate: a touchy situation.

v. Slang bitched, bitch·ing, bitch·es
v. intr.
1. To complain; grumble.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Dont base language on literal definitions. The english language is as much about perseption and metaphorical meaning as it is literal definition.
Most of the people here took that as being touchy, you might not have intended it, if you didnt then say so, but dont come out with some bull**** from a dictionary which has no relevance to communication.

Im starting to despise you.

Abominog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Hell A., California
Ya, but you negelected to mention one other definition,
"colloq. strange, queer, incomprehensible", which, as you may already know, is the most widely intended usage of this colloquialism or at least it is in US English.

I thought your reply sounded snotty, especially given the fact that this forum is dedicated to exactly the type of posts I'd made.

As far as my degree of sensitivity, well, guilty as charged. But, hey- nobody's perfect.

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
but dont come out with some bull**** from a dictionary which has no relevance to communication.

ok...

the perception of definitions isn't some wonderful ballyhoo of the english language, it is ignorance.

The point was what I said was not, to me, offensive, and I proved that from my perspective. If the original author wants to remain intractable, then he is lesser for it. I complimented his set up in the original and second post.

as for his reply:
I thought your reply sounded snotty, especially given the fact that this forum is dedicated to exactly the type of posts I'd made.

I only want to say that if you didn't expect us to talk about what you had posted, then why the hell did you post it? You wanted pats on the back and thousands deep hurrahs, and i gave you that, in my way.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
English is 2nd language for many....

I wouldn't be so quick to ride someone's @ss here based on their language skills....

there are lots here from other countries who do quite well with English as a second language :p

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by GigaWire

I only want to say that if you didn't expect us to talk about what you had posted, then why the hell did you post it? You wanted pats on the back and thousands deep hurrahs, and i gave you that, in my way.

If you would even bother to read what others have said then you would realise that you are only 50% of the story. But seeing as you are ****head i didnt expect you to understand.

"perseption of definitions"

It isnt even about perseption you dumb****. It is about how much it constitutes to communication, and it doesnt constitute as much as you value it to. Dont add inot this what you said on your later posts because it has no relevance to what that dude commented on, he commented on your first post. That was a stupid technique of yours to try to assert your opinion on your original point using an irrelevant later point.
To the guy you aimed the original comment at, the comment seemed as a contradiction to what you later said. To me, the original comment seemed as a contradiction to what you later said. According to the most used definition of what you said, again it was a contradiction. According to the general perception of what you said, it was a contradiction.

Dont try to outsmart me, it doesnt work, kid.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rekras
utoh, nerd fight
------------------------------------------------------------------------

amen to that

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Everyone just shut the **** up your ****head mother****ers!

Muahaha... :D This is a test of the Emergency Censorship Forum.

This is ONLY a test.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Re: English is 2nd language for many....

Originally posted by eyelikeart
there are lots here from other countries who do quite well with English as a second language :p
Yes, like me. I speak Australian primarily... English is my second language.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by GigaWire
weird (wîrd)
adj. weird·er, weird·est
1. Of a strikingly odd or unusual character
2. Archaic. Of or relating to fate or the Fates.

---

touch·y (tch)
adj. touch·i·er, touch·i·est
Tending to take offense with slight cause; oversensitive.
Requiring special tact or skill in handling; delicate: a touchy situation.

v. Slang bitched, bitch·ing, bitch·es
v. intr.
1. To complain; grumble.
overuse [of dictionary] n : To use to excess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.