Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Im betting on it.....see my explanation goes like this.

With them announcing UT2003 and posting it on their website(Apple had the annoucement for two days)...then subsequently removing that announcement makes me think they are going to annouce the game and hardware at the same time...possibly with the game being displayed on stage using some new hardware. Possibly the 9700 mac edition or the announcement of the Geforce FX being piloted on the Mac(Similar to the Geforce 4) Maybe even the new 970 Processors being announced and fawned over......

We will see...but it seem they are gearing up for a big annoucement and bumped up iMacs wont do UT2003 justice...so im assuming a much heavier piece of hardware.

Just a thought....though them pulling the announcement on their website is the clincher for me....as Apple usually likes to give its surprises in bunches. And i can see UT2003 on new hardware as a big announcemen.

I saw this article...

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/index.php?date=2002-12-16

Scroll downa few articles youll find it....it used to have a link to the anbnoucement on Apples website for UT:2003 now its gone..i think they want to make it a surprise to people when the newest hardware is shown with the newest and most amazing looking game todate(FPS)

jsut a thought.

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
nVidia maybe

The nVidia GeForce FX maybe......ATI 9700 Pro, not a chance, except inside an Apple box. ATI can't even get the 9000 Pro to market and that was announced at MWNY, for retail sales....it has yet to appear.

Maybe they'll finally get the 9000 Pro out, it will only be 5 months late, according to their initial retail sales launch date.

Sorry to be so negative (for all you ATI fans), however, I've been calling them long distance weekly to get a new video card, they just don't seem to care or have their act together, outside of the ones they are making for Apple.

Hopefully nVidia is more on top of things.

Tim

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
FX and 9700... These are gamers' tools, right?

You know, if (and we can be quite sure about it, eh?) they are going to show them together with the (possible) new iMacs and eMacs and NOT with Powermacs, then the motto: "Mac is now a good game platform" will again sound like a joke. 800/900/1000 Mhz are not enough... Not enough. And it won't happen, because having a better video card in a consumer model then in the Pro one is unwise... Definitely, MWSF will be an interesting event to keep your eyes on...

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Im more or less just thinking of an annoucement.....like the FX being introduced to the consumers on the Mac platform first.

The UT2003 kind of pushes that idea for me...as the game is going to need a hardware boost to really shine.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I think it' s time Apple put a GOOD grfx card in an iMac and/or eMac.
iMacs and eMacs are for consumers, right?
Games are for consumers, right?
Put 2 and 2 together....

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Flickta
FX and 9700... These are gamers' tools, right?

800/900/1000 Mhz are not enough... Not enough. And it won't happen, because having a better video card in a consumer model then in the Pro one is unwise...

What's unwise about that? Once you have a pro-machine, you can upgrade the gfrx card, what you can't do with the i (or e)-Mac.
That's why I'm hoping for 1 (or 2) CONSUMER-Macs with a built in Radeon 9700 (or otheriwse the Geforce 4 Ti 4600 with 128 MB VRAM).
Having at least a 1 GHz G4 (133 Mhz bus), with one of these cards should give you an UT 2003 high-res playable CONSUMER-GAMING Macintosh.
I agree on the fact that an iMac running @ 800 MHz, on a 100 MHz bus wouldn't even be worth a GeForce 4 Ti (4600), let alone the Ati Radeon 9700, or the GeForce FX.

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
Originally posted by MacsRgr8

What's unwise about that? Once you have a pro-machine, you can upgrade the gfrx card, what you can't do with the i (or e)-Mac.

Ha! You see it wise to have a... well... 1Ghz iMac with Radeon 9700 Pro sold for $2000 and a ProMachine for $3000, but with Gforce Ti 4600?

Maybe it's Okay for consumers, but it can kill PM sales. Well, they are low even now...

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yes. Only one of the iMacs, and one of the eMacs should have one of these grfx cards. Like I said before, the "PowerMac" can always be upgraded with any grfx card you like, and many Pro's don't really need the 3D capabilities of the Radeon 9700 Pro.
I just hate it when people buy a nice new iMac with a lot of RAM, big HD, and they are not really capable of playing F1 Championship Season 2000 looking as nice as it should do! I mean it, I've seen it.
The sales of Pro-Mac's wouldn't be killed by a gaming-consumer-Mac, because most of the Pro's want a dual G4, or 1 Gb ethernet, or multiple ATA busses.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
Workstation Card

What the high-end "Pro" PowerMacs need are actual workstation graphics cards like a Quadro 4XGL or a Wildcat or ATI Fire. Seriously, a computer designed to serve as a graphics workstation with a consumer gaming GPU. That's pathetic and a bad idea if Apple wants more of the graphics market.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: nVidia maybe

Originally posted by TMJ1974
The nVidia GeForce FX maybe......ATI 9700 Pro, not a chance, except inside an Apple box. ATI can't even get the 9000 Pro to market and that was announced at MWNY, for retail sales....it has yet to appear.

Maybe they'll finally get the 9000 Pro out, it will only be 5 months late, according to their initial retail sales launch date.

Sorry to be so negative (for all you ATI fans), however, I've been calling them long distance weekly to get a new video card, they just don't seem to care or have their act together, outside of the ones they are making for Apple.

Hopefully nVidia is more on top of things.

Tim

??? The 9700 Pro is actually out (although PC only). The FX isn't even going to be out for PCs for quite a while yet.

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
Re: Workstation Card

Originally posted by Sauron's Master
What the high-end "Pro" PowerMacs need are actual workstation graphics cards like a Quadro 4XGL or a Wildcat or ATI Fire. Seriously, a computer designed to serve as a graphics workstation with a consumer gaming GPU. That's pathetic and a bad idea if Apple wants more of the graphics market.

Apple could make such machines, but for the outrageous prices... And the price is a bit high even now... And yes, without proper CPU such a card would be a waste of money.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Re: Re: Workstation Card

Originally posted by Flickta

Apple could make such machines, but for the outrageous prices... And the price is a bit high even now... And yes, without proper CPU such a card would be a waste of money.

Workstation cards aren't that expensive. The market they would sell that to, graphics professionals and studios like Pixar, are rich, can afford it, and are used to paying such amounts. Such a card paired with the new PPC 970's would offer awesome performance for a relative low cost. I'm suggesting this as a custom-build option, selling workstation cards in standard configs is stupid since no one outside 0.1% or less of the population would ever need one.

nallu

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2002
How about a gMac

may be Apple is making a game cube or Xbox competitor in which UT2003 will run properly.

who knows may be!!!;)

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
To get back to the original topic...

... I agree, I think the main thrust of this show is going to be software, including iApps but also a lot of games. The 1GHz iMac should have some improved graphics hardware, maybe not a Radeon 9700 (and not a replacable card) but something better. I think it's reasonable to expect that there will be retail cards too.

I suspect Apple's lined up a lot of third-party hw & sw developers to make a big splash of announcements. The message will be "Look at all the great stuff you can do with a Mac!". They will show bluetooth, syncing with phones, the Danger PDA, Palm, digital audio, digital cameras...

Steve will talk about everything but the 970 and MHz questions. Oh, he won't mention HyperCard or the Newton either. :D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
970 got a good writeup in january '03s macworld

maybe this will be a good chip for the next gen mac, but not catch us up in speed with the pc world

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
PPC 970

Originally posted by jefhatfield
970 got a good writeup in january '03s macworld

maybe this will be a good chip for the next gen mac, but not catch us up in speed with the pc world

The 970 will make Gx's comparable to x86 chips available at the time. With further updates, it will be faster. In dual configs, which Apple will probably keep, and in 32-bit emulation mode, the 970 will kick some Intel and AMD ass.

nanosound

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2002
Steve will talk about everything but the 970 and MHz questions.

MacWorlds are turning into the software dog and pony show. If they had hot new PowerMacs, would they announce them at Macworld? If they don't deal with it at this January's MW, how will that affect Apple or the perception of their pro line? (They alluded to this in their SEC filing). Can they afford another quarter with mediocre hardware upgrades?

void

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2002
Not here
I'm thinking that the PPC 970 and the 9700 will both come out together in a new powermac @ MWNY.
I can just imagine it now:
970 & 9700 Starting at 1599...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.