Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I signed up on this site mostly to start this thread and to get some advice.

Like I've said, I'm getting the black 16GB 3g tomorrow on my lunch hour and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from this forum.

What are some worthwhile accessories to purchase when getting the iPhone? I've been leaning heavily towards getting the Incipio Black Feather case for my new phone, seeing as if I decide to use our other upgrade on the rumored new iPhone this summer, my girlfriend will use the 3g after me, so I want a slim case with a low profile that at least protects the backing of the phone. On top of that, I'm investing in a screen protector, and the apple care warranty. All in all i'm looking at over a 400$ investment.

My question again for the tl;dr; group is do you have any better suggestions for me when it comes to protection of my investment? Ill be getting a pouch for the phone as well and I dont want to compromise the beauty of the phone itself, so bulky cases are a no go.

Thanks in advance.

Kenzembo1

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Youngstown, OH
Hi, glad to see you're getting an iphone! I also have the black 16 GB 3G and have the black Incipio feather case to protect the back of the phone. It's absolutely an amazing case if you're looking to protect your phone from scratches and to keep it looking new. It also has a nice 'grip' to it and adds barely any bulk to the phone- I would highly recommend. Also, as far as screen protectors go I have the Power Support Anti-Glare screen protector...I would definitely recommend this over the crystal version, because it has a great 'matte' feel to it, and helps reduce fingerprints, not to mention it's anti-glare so you can read emails, etc. more easily if you're outside in the sun. Other than that, as far as accessories go, I would purchase a car charger for those commutes where you might be tempted to use the phone's GPS capabilities (as it quickly wears down your battery)...you should be able to purchase one of these relatively cheap at your local Best Buy. If you spend a lot of time in your car or on the go, look into getting a nice bluetooth headset as well. My suggestion is the Plantronics Discovery 925 (I bought mine off ebay and only paid $50!) Also, you may want some kind of dock for your desk- I have the Xstand and I love it! It works with the feather case quite nicely (I think I purchased mine at mygearstore.com). FYI: If you're thinking about getting the stock iphone 3g dock, it won't work with the feather (you'll have to remove it before docking). Lastly, unless you really like the Apple buds I would suggest that you pick up a better set of headphones. I use the Apple In-ear headphones because they sound much better than the stock buds and they go quite nicely with the overall look of your device (not to mention they have the built in mic and controls that you would get from the original set). I think that about wraps it up- that's all the accessories I have and would recommend to you. Good luck with your new phone! :apple:

kits

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
My question again for the tl;dr; group is do you have any better suggestions for me when it comes to protection of my investment? Ill be getting a pouch for the phone as well and I dont want to compromise the beauty of the phone itself, so bulky cases are a no go.Thanks in advance.

Stay away from full body protectors. Even though they don't add bulk the botton edges and sides drive me little crazy where they end. It kind of feels rough on fingers when you hold the phone with one hand to text.

Also, check out Monoprice for car-charger and any extra iPhone cables. Don't buy them from Apple store. I ordered a car-charger and couple of charging/USB cables and they all cost me $6 and few cents including shipping.

2732 Retractable USB sync Cable for iPhone/iPod Mini nano Apple - White - $1.53
3453 USB sync Cable for iPhone/iPod Mini nano Apple - $1.53
3524 Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - White - $0.99

Shipping is $2.02

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
@Kenzembo1
Thank you so much for your response. I saw that xstand and wondered if it works with the feather case.

I heard the antiglare film makes the phone kind of "blurry." Is there any truth to that?

And also, in regards to the incipio feathers' screen protectors: are they any good?

Lexoticstylez02

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Orlando, Florida
@Kenzembo1
Thank you so much for your response. I saw that xstand and wondered if it works with the feather case.

I heard the antiglare film makes the phone kind of "blurry." Is there any truth to that?

And also, in regards to the incipio feathers' screen protectors: are they any good?

The anti-glare makes the screen a bit fuzzy looking, but it's worth the tradeoffs for not having fingerprints. If you're more about the screen clarity go for the Crystal.

Kenzembo1

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Youngstown, OH
@Kenzembo1

You're very welcome. I really like the anti-glare film, mostly because it does a great job at protecting against fingerprints and smudges. I admit, I was hesitant at first to purchase them (online from the Apple store) because some reviewers said that it made the phone appear 'darker' or somewhat 'blurry', but I have to say that I am very pleased with it- I don't feel like the iphone's resolution is hindered at all- I actually got a lot of comments on it from other iphone users. I suppose if you purchase them and don't like how it looks or feels, you can always use the protectors that come with the feather. I haven't actually used the ones that incipio provides you with, but I assume they work just as well as the standard crystal set. I'll try to post pics of my phone with the anti-glare film and feather case, as well as my Xstand setup a little later tonight when I have more time if I can figure out how to sync my digital camera lol.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Can't live without...

I've had two iphones... 1st gen and 3G and I can't live without the screen protector on it. I have the Power Support Anti-Glare Film Set for iPhone 3G ($ 14.95) from Apple. The matte or anti-glare is much better than the crystal. The "fuzziness" is hardly noticeable, but the greasy fingerprints you get if you don't use the film are. I also have the InCase Slider case in white for my White iPhone (my husband has the black). It works great and still has a slim profile and doesn't add any additional bulk.

Enjoy your new best friend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.