Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luna crescent

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
California
I'm not privy to all the intracacies of the announcements of MacWorld but I heard about the intel macbook pro.

Is this the evolution of powerboook lines or a seperate line. What happens to the ibook line?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It's a replacement for the PowerBook line. To wit, it's unknown what will happen to the iBook line. I suspect there will be an x86 replacement line for it as well, as the prices for the MacBook Pro are rather hefty (more PowerBook-like).

I'm assuming that it'll have a name like MacBook Lite or something "non-Pro".

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Considering Macworld is a consumer-oriented convention, with WWDC as the professional-oriented convention, the introduction of the MacBook Pro might mean the end of the line for the iBook. I guess you could wait and see when Apple would release a MacBook at the $999 price point. The current cost for the Core Duos are a tad steep so it's unlikely we'll see then in the consumer space. Maybe Core Solos?

Here's to the Crazy Ones

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
yellow said:
It's a replacement for the PowerBook line. To wit, it's unknown what will happen to the iBook line. I suspect there will be an x86 replacement line for it as well, as the prices for the MacBook Pro are rather hefty (more PowerBook-like).

I'm assuming that it'll have a name like MacBook Lite or something "non-Pro".

Or... how about a MacBook as an iBook replacement and then MacBook Lite as a budget laptop :eek:

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
on a slighly off note topic, has anyone noticed that there are no battery life data for the macbook?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
russed said:
on a slighly off note topic, has anyone noticed that there are no battery life data for the macbook?
Yes, there are a few threads about this. Ars Technica wrote up a little something about it i believe.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
russed said:

Yes, they send you straight to apple.com/batteries to discuss battery health. They just say "Battery life varies by usage". Honestly, that disturbs me. If they can get so much more performance per watt, why aren't they touting the battery life of these things?!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
russed said:

I did. That was the first thing I looked for. All the battery data they have listed is basically the same as the G4s.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I expect battery life will be similar to the G4s until Apple replace the Powerbook completely and start to really focus on moving components etc to get the best performance per watt. And of course, this first-gen Macbook Pro may only be around for a few weeks. Maybe...

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
smwatson said:
I expect battery life will be similar to the G4s until Apple replace the Powerbook completely and start to really focus on moving components etc to get the best performance per watt. And of course, this first-gen Macbook Pro may only be around for a few weeks. Maybe...

Eh, I doubt it will only be around for a "few weeks." Apple will keep this system at least until May, or even WWDC. They'll be focusing on the rest of their lineup.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I deffenitly (boy does my spelling suck:( ) think that this is only a stopgap until the full Macbook Pro line release (more screen sizes, maybe faster, bigger HD more RAM etc) Is it DDR2 RAM yet? or PCI?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
pdpfilms said:
Yes, there are a few threads about this. Ars Technica wrote up a little something about it i believe.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/1/10/2436

It says that when you unplug the power cable, it says 3:03 (hours:minutes). When I do the same with my PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz, I get 3:09 (set to max performance with wifi enabled). So it doesn't look too bad.

However we don't know what options they set (like if they disabled 1 core when it goes to battery mode).

I really want to get an Intel Mac laptop, but I have to say I am leaning towards the iMac and keeping my current G4 as my portable Mac.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
michaelrjohnson said:
Yes, they send you straight to apple.com/batteries to discuss battery health. They just say "Battery life varies by usage". Honestly, that disturbs me. If they can get so much more performance per watt, why aren't they touting the battery life of these things?!

Yeah, I agree that it is pretty unlike Apple to do something like this. They usually wouldn't release a pro product unless they were more than satisfied with all aspects of it. My guess is that even with good performance per watt, a lot of performance is still going to need a lot of watts.

iFrank

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
think of the display as well

Apple is really touting the brightness of the display on the new MacBooks. Displays are one of the primary power consumers, and brightness is the most significant reason.

This may be one reason that Apple is not hyping any improvement in battery life -- one only hopes that it doesn't do any worse!

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.