Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fender4645

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
  1. Ordered at 12:02 PDT on April 10, received confirmation email at 12:04. Stuck in "Processing" till tonight.
  2. Received an email from Apple saying the bank declined payment (I used ApplePay attached to my BofA checking)
  3. 2 minutes later, received an email from BoA about fraudulent activity. Called BofA, went through their automated system and cleared the "hold"
  4. Waited 10 minutes and tried to re-authorize. It kept saying "Couldn't authorize card" (tried like 5 times)
  5. 20 min later, received an email from Apple saying my order was "Successfully updated. Went to look at the current status and it's now moved to "Preparing for Shipment" but also says "Payment action required: We are unable to obtain an authorization for the credit card you provided"
  6. Checked BofA online and there's a hold now from Apple for the full amount

At this point, I don't know what to believe. Any advice on what I whould do from here?

pj7XSa.png

----------

Okay...in the time it took me to post the above, the "Payment action required: We are unable to obtain an authorization for the credit card you provided" disappeared. I guess I'm good???

Last edited:

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
ApplePay directly connected to checking account? That's just dangerous. Get a credit card so you have protection from fraud and merchant problems. With debits, once the money is taken out of your account it is gone and nobody will help you get it back!

whatos

macrumors 6502a
Although automated, once your card is flagged, it's a bit of a slow process to remove the freeze. After carefully reading the circumstances, I feel confident a quick call to Apple, even though unnecessary, will give your peace of mind. You're going to be just fine.

fender4645

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
You guys nailed it. A quick call to Apple and the guy was able to give me a play-by-play on everything that happend with my order. Basically, when I first ordered on April 10 they pinged the bank and they approved. When they tried again tonight to get the payment, bank declined. I guess it took longer than expected for the hold to be lifted cause at 9:30 tonight, the payment went through and my watch is on a loading dock and should be delivered on Mon or Tues.

Interesting note, if the bank declines the payment, Apple will make 7 attempts per day for 7 days to get payment before canceling the order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.