Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I don't normally come over here, but this question can go for all apple devices that have iTunes installed. I was wondering if a person who had a rather large iTunes list with songs that have a rather large playcount, can the playcount be carried over the the new iOS device or will it reset back to a blank space? I once accidentally deleted song files on my iTunes list, but the play count wasn't effected. I'm just curious, if and when I get a new Mac, will my play count be reset or can it be preserved somehow?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The 12” MacBook is not an iOS device; it is a full-fledged macOS machine just like the MacBook Pro. Definition of iOS devices is: iPhones and iPads, plus iPod Touch. This may not be the right subforum for this question if you’re wondering about an iOS device.

That said, while I have both a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, with iTunes in both, of course, and a rather large iTunes library at that, I really have not paid that much attention to the play count, as it’s not that important to me. I think (but don’t hold me to it!) that the play counts are indeed carried over, depending upon how the iTunes library is transferred. I copy my iTunes library folder to an external drive and then paste that right into the new computer. I also would think that if one has a new iOS device and plugs it into the computer in order to sync the iTunes library, that again the play count information would be preserved. Again, though, I haven’t really paid attention to that so am not really sure.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
This^^^

The play count is not always accurate. Nor the Played flag (Podcasts is my big app). There are issues, imo, keeping things in sync on the flag values, but for the most part close enough for my needs. Might be some lag.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I actually thought that was weird. it would leave the whole context box kind of useless.
It’s like a book title. So people know what’s inside.

If everyone just says “ I have a question or I have a problem “ the whole forum structure becomes useless.
Also the search engines look at first for keywords there. Nobody who has the same problem as you will search for “curious, something”...

Reactions: Lioness~

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Just change the title to “I’m curious about iTunes play counts”

In the context box you just elaborate the question.

Good question though.
I didn’t thought the sync count was this good as it was.

Regarding music I have no check, and it doesn’t matter much to me.
But I do a lot of meditation, and I’m pleased that it shows a fairly accurate sync of how these guided meditations are played in iTunes on Mac. As I usually play them on iPad but mostly on iPhone.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I'm glad iTunes turned into Apple Music and the service is a one year fee type thing, it makes it a lot easier (and cheaper in the long run) to get music for my iPod or iPhone. :)

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
To answer my own question. I had to do a lot of over the phone work on my MBP and had to install new software. (It's the BETA) and to my surprise, my play count wasn't effected. Yes, I had to download the iTune files again, but it wasn't a big deal. :)

I did it through the cloud. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.