Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
The one feature I REALLY want and need on any tablet is 120Hz, which I can't get unless u spend almost 1.000€, which is just crazy, more so considering you only get 128GB.

I really don't need the best iPad out there. I could very well live with the basic iPad 10, just with 120Hz and maybe 256GB. Don't need more, but Apple does know who to make you spend more than you actually need.

There is no way I can go back to 60Hz screens in 2024. It is NOT a Pro feature. Apple doesn't give consumers like me good choices for their tablet offerings. They could give Promotion to the Air lineup with the next refresh. Will they? Probably not, but they will still charge you 700/800€ for 60Hz and 64GB storage... But hey, you get a lot of horsepower with M2, which iPadOS doesn't actually take advantage of, but in 2/3 years you will REALLY start to notice how old a 60Hz screen feels, making you itch for an expensive upgrade again...

It's frustrating been almost completely certain that the next iPad 11, iPad Air and iPad Mini won't get a simple feature that's a must in 2024: 120Hz screen. Therefore, you pay 1.000€ or more for these new OLED iPad Pro or buy Android.
You might need it. And I respect that. Others probably don't. A good meeting point is 90hz. Which is not as bad as 60hz but more likely for non pro devices

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, YouTube is fine on iOS 12. The 2GB of RAM are probably an issue, but only when combined with iPadOS 16. As you might remember, 2GB was considered more than enough back on iOS 9. It’s just how it always goes, you know the drill. But yeah, I guess you can’t expect perfection on a device with seven major iOS updates.

The processor is probably throttling: again, the combo of a heavy app with iPadOS 16 is probably too much for the device.

That said, I’m guessing it will be an okay device for content consumption. You will probably need to carry a charger, but such is the reality of fully updated devices. As long as you temper your expectations to “it will do the task acceptably well with a less-than-mediocre battery life”, you’ll do well. If you expect perfection, it’s just guaranteed disappointment, and it won’t do you any good.
I don't know how iPadOS 16 runs on the 9.7 pro but mine is on 13.4 and youtube is... not great, just as bad as it was on IOS 12 (which is the OS I bought the device with in 2018). Lots of reloads on Safari, and pretty slow when compared to newer devices, same experience on iOS 12, actually worse on 12 as I needed to enable desktop mode all the time (with 13 is by default).
Nowadays I don't use it much anyway because of a severe screen issue that appeared almost 2 years ago.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Isn't their job also to have their customers happy so they don't lose them to the competition?
No. There is no "competition". Anyone who wants an iPhone or iPad must buy it from Apple. It's more than just hardware. It's the entire ecosystem of hardware, software, and services that makes things all hang together. Anyone who is engaged in the ecosystem isn't going to jump out simply because the hardware options are limited and expensive.

Apple produces a tablet with a 120Hz. You just don't like the price that Apple charges.

If price is a concern, and 120Hz is a vital feature, Samsung and Lenovo make Android tablets with 120Hz displays for less (in some models, much less) than Apple charges... but that's not reasonable for those connected to Apple's ecosystem... and why there is no actual competition.

They have a captive audience. That is why they're a $3 trillion company.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I still don't understand how a feature like 4K resolution on TVs has gone down in price with time and same with OLED displays on phones (now you can have it for 300€), and 120Hz doesn't come down in price (at least, for Apple).

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I don't know how iPadOS 16 runs on the 9.7 pro but mine is on 13.4 and youtube is... not great, just as bad as it was on IOS 12 (which is the OS I bought the device with in 2018). Lots of reloads on Safari, and pretty slow when compared to newer devices, same experience on iOS 12, actually worse on 12 as I needed to enable desktop mode all the time (with 13 is by default).
Nowadays I don't use it much anyway because of a severe screen issue that appeared almost 2 years ago.
I’m a little surprised. I mean, I don’t pay attention to reloads, but yeah, they’re there when they weren’t on iOS 9, but YouTube (and the device itself) run great.

In fact, that’s one of the things that surprised me the most: remember that I didn’t willingly update? That there was an A9 on iOS 9 activation issue which deactivated my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 9 forced me into iOS 12? Well, when that happened and I decided that updating was my only course of action, I expected complete obliteration. I expected performance to be unusable and battery life to be 3 hours. Performance is almost as good as iOS 9 (which is why it surprises me when you say it’s not great - I directly compared it with its original iOS version). Battery life is significantly worse (about 30%), but I expected far worse.

It does reload a lot more than my Air 5 on iPadOS 15, but such is the nature of 2GB of RAM with three major updates on top. Otherwise, it’s okay. In fact, many people have stated that the beginning of the end for that iPad in terms of both battery life and performance was iPadOS 13, not iOS 12, mentioning that it practically fell off a cliff.

It makes perfect sense. Why? Because I had another A9 on iOS 9 device. An iPhone 6s. It was forced into iOS 13, and it is a LOT worse than the iPad. More of everything. Significant keyboard lag, it’s slower, battery life is outright pathetic (it is worse on the iPad but not as poor as on the iPhone). If iOS 12 is iOS 9 with a slight performance reduction and a significant battery life loss, iOS 13 is iOS 12 on steroids.

It surprises me a lot when you say that iPadOS 13 is just like iOS 12, because I used iOS 9 for years, iOS 12 for years, and iPadOS 13 on A9 devices for years. There’s no match. iOS 9 is perfect, iOS 12 is fairly close on performance, significantly worse on battery life (but usable), and iOS 13 is malware which shouldn’t have been released (let alone iOS 15!!!!. I’ve used one there and Apple should go to jail for releasing that garbage and disallowing downgrading).

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I’m a little surprised. I mean, I don’t pay attention to reloads, but yeah, they’re there when they weren’t on iOS 9, but YouTube (and the device itself) run great.

In fact, that’s one of the things that surprised me the most: remember that I didn’t willingly update? That there was an A9 on iOS 9 activation issue which deactivated my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 9 forced me into iOS 12? Well, when that happened and I decided that updating was my only course of action, I expected complete obliteration. I expected performance to be unusable and battery life to be 3 hours. Performance is almost as good as iOS 9 (which is why it surprises me when you say it’s not great - I directly compared it with its original iOS version). Battery life is significantly worse (about 30%), but I expected far worse.

It does reload a lot more than my Air 5 on iPadOS 15, but such is the nature of 2GB of RAM with three major updates on top. Otherwise, it’s okay. In fact, many people have stated that the beginning of the end for that iPad in terms of both battery life and performance was iPadOS 13, not iOS 12, mentioning that it practically fell off a cliff.

It makes perfect sense. Why? Because I had another A9 on iOS 9 device. An iPhone 6s. It was forced into iOS 13, and it is a LOT worse than the iPad. More of everything. Significant keyboard lag, it’s slower, battery life is outright pathetic (it is worse on the iPad but not as poor as on the iPhone). If iOS 12 is iOS 9 with a slight performance reduction and a significant battery life loss, iOS 13 is iOS 12 on steroids.

It surprises me a lot when you say that iPadOS 13 is just like iOS 12, because I used iOS 9 for years, iOS 12 for years, and iPadOS 13 on A9 devices for years. There’s no match. iOS 9 is perfect, iOS 12 is fairly close on performance, significantly worse on battery life (but usable), and iOS 13 is malware which shouldn’t have been released (let alone iOS 15!!!!. I’ve used one there and Apple should go to jail for releasing that garbage and disallowing downgrading).
I don't see much difference if at all from 12 to 13... A9 devices are slower than A9X ones, so I don't think it's comparable...
I see much more difference from 13 to 14. 13 gave me a ton of improvements I value, and I would do it any day, and my mini 4 (A8) on 13 was tolerable. On 14 it became useless, with hardly any improvement. 15, 16 and 17 haven't changed much, at least not on A10X / A12 or better, if not for taking even more RAM.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I don't see much difference if at all from 12 to 13... A9 devices are slower than A9X ones, so I don't think it's comparable...
I see much more difference from 13 to 14. 13 gave me a ton of improvements I value, and I would do it any day, and my mini 4 (A8) on 13 was tolerable. On 14 it became useless, with hardly any improvement. 15, 16 and 17 haven't changed much, at least not on A10X / A12 or better, if not for taking even more RAM.
Interesting, perhaps the first time I hear there’s no difference. I don’t know, however (and giving credence to what you said), how iOS 12 runs on a 6s. I’ve never tried that. So perhaps it runs poorly, too, and there actually is a difference between A9 and A9X, but I’ll never know.

Yeah, the Mini 4 was the target of many complaints, I’m not surprised.

On A10X through A12 the issue is battery life, not performance. It should run respectably well.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
The one feature I REALLY want and need on any tablet is 120Hz, which I can't get unless u spend almost 1.000€, which is just crazy, more so considering you only get 128GB.

I really don't need the best iPad out there. I could very well live with the basic iPad 10, just with 120Hz and maybe 256GB. Don't need more, but Apple does know who to make you spend more than you actually need.

There is no way I can go back to 60Hz screens in 2024. It is NOT a Pro feature. Apple doesn't give consumers like me good choices for their tablet offerings. They could give Promotion to the Air lineup with the next refresh. Will they? Probably not, but they will still charge you 700/800€ for 60Hz and 64GB storage... But hey, you get a lot of horsepower with M2, which iPadOS doesn't actually take advantage of, but in 2/3 years you will REALLY start to notice how old a 60Hz screen feels, making you itch for an expensive upgrade again...

It's frustrating been almost completely certain that the next iPad 11, iPad Air and iPad Mini won't get a simple feature that's a must in 2024: 120Hz screen. Therefore, you pay 1.000€ or more for these new OLED iPad Pro or buy Android.
Well Apple pretty much owns the tablet market (e.g., they have no real competition) so, they can slow walk the inclusion of higher end features (ie 120Hz display technology, latest generation chips, ram, etc..) for their base iPads as long as they want. Those who need the base models will buy them regardless and those who need the higher end features will pay up for the Air or Pro models. Once Apple has you in their nice, lush walled in garden, it’s hard to escape. Where else would they go anyway for a tablet? They know how to nudge customers into their higher end models. They’re very good at it.

It’s not about what it costs Apple to include these higher end features in their base models, it’s about them protecting their profit on the sale of their higher end models (ie Airs, Pros)….and without much real competition, they can pretty much do what they want without any consequence. I say this about Apple in a complimentary way. I mean, they’re a corporation and they’re doing what a corporation should do (ie maximize profits for the benefit of their shareholders).

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
All the time wasted discussing this topic could have been used to earn the extra money to buy the more expensive iPad that has all the features, so you wouldn't need to buy another one next year.

• Haha
Reactions: cpatrick08

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I still don't understand how a feature like 4K resolution on TVs has gone down in price with time and same with OLED displays on phones (now you can have it for 300€), and 120Hz doesn't come down in price (at least, for Apple).
It isn't that it does not come down in price (and note, 120hz in an OLED is hard) it is just that the absurd profit margins must not come down!
Chargeeeee on the people who make 120hz tech less expensive! (/s)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.