Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sangdushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Will officially give the iPad 3 to the gf since she's practically taken it anyway.

I don't think I'll miss the weight and size, found it a bit annoying.
All my tech other than my phone is apple. Honestly, I find android to be better for me personally. I can just work faster with it.

Now the retina is the problem. It is magnificent. Will I miss it too much?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Yea i was thinking about picking 2 up, then my heart is telling to wait for the smaller ipad with retina for when I'm out on the go. The new ipad will be at home.

True is I can't go back to a normal screen for some reasons!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

From what I have read, I don't think there is THAT much difference between iPad and Nexus7 re the retina screen.

The pixel density is not quite as high, but it's not a million miles off.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
The Nexus 7 is not far from having a "retina" display.
It has 216 PPI vs the 264 PPI of the new iPad. It should be enough.

boomboom2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Nexus 7's PPI is in between iPad 2 and 3 in terms of DPI. Should be acceptable for the price!

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
iPad 3 is the only tablet that I can use to surf the Internet in portrait mode without zooming in and out, and still have sharp looking font.

With iPad 2 or galaxy tab 7.7 (same res as nexus 7), the small font looks horrible in portrait mode. I need to go landscape, which is ok until you type. The keyboard takes up most of the screen.

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Will officially give the iPad 3 to the gf since she's practically taken it anyway.

All my tech other than my phone is apple. Honestly, I find android to be better for me personally. I can just work faster with it.

"Here you go gf, have my Lexus. Don't worry about me, I'm buying a Hyundai."

:D

kdarling

macrumors P6
The Nexus 7 is not far from having a "retina" display. It has 216 PPI vs the 264 PPI of the new iPad. It should be enough.

"Retina" is dependent on distance. Hold the 216 PPI about 3" further away, and it's as "retina" as the 264 PPI screen.

iPad 3 is the only tablet that I can use to surf the Internet in portrait mode without zooming in and out, and still have sharp looking font.

Yep, a very large screen, or high PPI, is good for that.

However, I use 7" tablets all the time for surfing (they're easier to hold in one hand), and I just tap zoom and the text reflows (on Android) so I don't have to scroll horizontally like on Safari.

With iPad 2 or galaxy tab 7.7 (same res as nexus 7), the small font looks horrible in portrait mode. I need to go landscape, which is ok until you type. The keyboard takes up most of the screen.

I can't think of many times that I would have to type while web surfing.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I sold my iPad 3 yesterday because I pre-ordered the Nexus 7. I had it listed for $430 with otterbox case and did not get any bites. This iPad was in like new condition. I ended up selling it for $400. Point of the story is iPad's are slowing down; cheap high quality 7 inch models will take over. If Apple releases a high quality 7 inch model at $300 expect to lose at least $100 dollars on a used 9.7 iPad right off the bat. Who wants to pay $400 on a used product when you can get something brand new, smaller and uses exactly the same apps? Apple is too good at making their idevices app compatible.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I sold my iPad 3 yesterday because I pre-ordered the Nexus 7. I had it listed for $430 with otterbox case and did not get any bites. This iPad was in like new condition. I ended up selling it for $400. Point of the story is iPad's are slowing down; cheap high quality 7 inch models will take over. If Apple releases a high quality 7 inch model at $300 expect to lose at least $100 dollars on a used 9.7 iPad right off the bat. Who wants to pay $400 on a used product when you can get something brand new, smaller and uses exactly the same apps? Apple is too good at making their idevices app compatible.

Yeah the iPad has lost some of it's steam. Apple has sold how many millions? It looks and works the same as every other iPad since 2010. But it's another thing to imply the iPad is going to be toppled by a 7" Tablet in a highly fragmented Android arena.

To give you an idea why it's best to still own an iPad. On Amazon.com you can still get $405 for a 32GB White iPad 2. That's it's trade in value after a year on the market. ;)

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

You've sold your iPad 3 for a Nexus? That will turn out to be a big mistake. I would have at least waited to use the Nexus before I sold the iPad. In my opinion you have just taken a step backwards.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You've sold your iPad 3 for a Nexus? That will turn out to be a big mistake. I would have at least waited to use the Nexus before I sold the iPad. In my opinion you have just taken a step backwards.

Yup I would have never sold an iPad for a Google device until I know for a fact that the Android marketplace got to the point where iOS is right now.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Put my order in yesterday for the 16Gb version. For $250 it's worth checking out. Will be first android device.

lotus ipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010

That's up to you.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

You're not really gonna miss retina. The nexus 7's dpi (220) is much closer to the dpi of the retina ipad (260) than it is to the ipad 2's dpi. (130)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

To some people the larger size is important. I doubt that 7" models take over. I still find the "around 10" tablets to be the best blend of size and performance.

An iPad mini will help but only if it's affordable. That point is highlighted by you clearly wanting to pocket the extra savings from getting a Nexus 7

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

What kind of question is that. Ask your optician.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.