Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Will it slow my iPhone 6? I'm at 12.4.5 right now.

No one can say either way. People will provide anecdotal stories but the truth is its impossible for anyone to truly answer.

Even if 5 people come back and give you the same response, all that means is that 5 people gave you the same response.

It sure as heck fire won't mean they're right. Sure as heck fire won't mean they're wrong either.

Reactions: tranceking26

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
No one can say either way. People will provide anecdotal stories but the truth is its impossible for anyone to truly answer.

Even if 5 people come back and give you the same response, all that means is that 5 people gave you the same response.

It sure as heck fire won't mean they're right. Sure as heck fire won't mean they're wrong either.

This. iOS updates are a gamble.

90-95% chance things shouldn’t get terribly worse. A very small chance things might even get better.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I remember Apple got sued for purposely slowing things down; wouldn't that mean that they wouldn't do the same for recent OS updates?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I remember Apple got sued for purposely slowing things down; wouldn't that mean that they wouldn't do the same for recent OS updates?

No. That was over trying to stop the CPU from taking the phone out and came with iOS 10.2.1. iOS 11.3 gave the user the ability to turn that off.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

What Apple did was to really slowing down devices over updates, but over battery degradation, to avoid phones shutting down randomly or not being able to deliver peak voltage to the SoC when needed. - This behaviour still exists, but is optional to users and can be turned off in Settings once it takes effect.

12.4.6 is not just a . release upgrade but a .x. upgrade. It is not meant to come with new features that could take up CPU cycles; It's a bug fix and security release; You should notice close to 0 difference. Upgrade recommended

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.