Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Since the days of Mavericks, this annoying little Safari bug has been persistent and driving me bonkers.

How to reproduce:

1. Open any website in Safari
2. Command-F
3. Choose "Show Top Sites" from the History menu
4. In the same tab/window, go to any website (Facebook.com is the best example)

Now look at the top of the page; it appears to be obstructed by the browser window.

Yes, I've reported the bug to Apple several times. Still nothing.

img.png

Last edited:

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
I literally have no idea what you're talking about. I see no oddity when following your directions. Maybe actually describing the bug would be helpful.

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
I followed your instructions and see no such anomaly. On any of the five Macs in my household. Maybe something wrong with your OS installation, a plugin, or something unique to your environment.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Yes. I see it.

You can see how Safari is not scrolling the page all the way up (down) when opening any page after the Find toolbar is activated.

See how the MacRumors logo is obscured by the Safari UI. Can't scroll up further. Actually, you can scroll up, but the page simply "rubber bands" back down.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 2.39.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-07 at 2.39.25 PM.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 255
Reactions: sniffies

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
yup, I see that. What's the bug track number for your report and I'll throw in on it too. Interesting to note that on the resulting page (where the problem occurs), if you press Command-F, the issue disappears.

Looks like this is the result of Command-F making space for the search field, then when Show Top Sites is invoked, that space is not reclaimed.

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Maybe you should email Tim about this. No, I'm not kidding, since you said that you have reported this many times and there is no fix, he will probably yell at the engineering team and force them to fix the issue. Just sayin' ;)

Reactions: kagharaht

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Maybe you should email Tim about this. No, I'm not kidding, since you said that you have reported this many times and there is no fix, he will probably yell at the engineering team and force them to fix the issue. Just sayin' ;)

It is more likely that it wouldn't be fixed until Safari 8.1, or Apple totally leaving it out altogether until Safari 9 comes 10.11 Death Valley.

Worse case scenario, it will NEVER be fixed. Case in point, that Dashboard invisible Menu Bar bug existed and still present on Mavericks...

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Yeah, I close all find search boxes before moving on, do it almost without thought. This does happen to my browser when I follow the OP instructions... but how can anyone leave a find overlay open when done with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.