Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
... well, actually selling it to my Bro. I wanted to wipe out the iBook, and put a clean install of OS X in it, but, restore disks are nowhere to be found --- DAMN! :mad:

Question... If I were to buy OS X Panther, will those be OK? Will they allow me to do everything the original disks did (change Admin, passwords, etc.) or am I S.O.L?

I called Apple for the restore discs, and they wanted 100+ for the original discs. For OS X Jaguar?! That's insane, when I can buy OS X Panther for the same amount of money!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thank You! :D

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
eleveneastgate said:
... well, actually selling it to my Bro. I wanted to wipe out the iBook, and put a clean install of OS X in it, but, restore disks are nowhere to be found --- DAMN! :mad:

Question... If I were to buy OS X Panther, will those be OK? Will they allow me to do everything the original disks did (change Admin, passwords, etc.) or am I S.O.L?

I called Apple for the restore discs, and they wanted 100+ for the original discs. For OS X Jaguar?! That's insane, when I can buy OS X Panther for the same amount of money!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thank You! :D

Well,

The original restore disks contained more than just the OS, they also contained the add on apps, Classic environment, Quicken, Games etc.

Do you have a friend who is a Mac guy who could LOAN you their install discs? You're not stealing the OS, if you have a license for it.

But in short, yes Panther install diiscs would be fine.

On another note, you could create new user and just delete the apps he doesnt want too....

macboyX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.