Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjdb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Let me relate my experience with Windows PC's. In 2004, I had bought a 15.4" Toshiba A70 which has given me nothing but problems right from the beginning. Everything has happened with it: RAM failures, HD failures, screen failures, power failures, etc. My power adapter was smoking when I was plugging it in! Just google "Toshiba A75 problems" to get a feel of what I've been enduring during the last 4 years. Last week, I got fed up. Windows wasn't even an option at this point. I was working on a very important project for school, and the computer just shut down. SO, I closed the lid, and grabbed my debit card. I went through a 2-hour bus/metro ride to get to the closest Apple Store. I told the guy: "Okay give me a 2.4 MacBook, I'm ready to buy." No warranty push or anything, that's how it should always be.

This just isn't the same thing. No more 30-min battery charges, no more problems at all. I really feel I've got what I wanted for my money, and that thing flies. I do see some beachballs from time to time, but oh well.

Last edited:

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
I wish the hardcore windows people could see what we see in these computers.

Congratulations thought!!

You're just getting started!!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I have to agree with you. I can't say I'm in love with the dock or anything, but OS X works so smoothly and seamlessly, it's really an eXPerience much more so then XP ever was.

What color did you get, black or white? I'd love to get a blackbook

P.S. Pick up a nice sleeve to keep it in

alexjdb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Yeah there *is* some stuff that I miss from windows, but what is better does compensates. Got a white one, because I couldn't really afford the $100 "black tax".

Last edited:

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I want to say congrats on switching, but the reason you switched was due to hardware. Microsoft doesn't regulate the manufacturing process nor does it play a part in the companies decisions(in this case Toshiba).

I'm glad you're happy with the macbook, they are very nice!

alexjdb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
I know I switched mainly because of hardware, but let's say what I had didn't really wanted to stay with PC's for many factors (performance/price, build quality, software is generally more intuitive on OS X) and I do think the MacBooks are quite a good deal when you look at their specs.

alexjdb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Yeah and i'll get the $9+k useful 32gb Ram upgrade too.

Last edited:

fewture

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
Yes I just switched too. And man, OSX feels like coming home. Its like what an OS is supposed to be like. Even though I do like Vista, its pretty much just a nice looking/more functionality version of XP (Vista is not as bad as people say IMO, I do like to use more than XP). After 7 years of using XP, I am so glad to be leaving it behind

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I'm looking to make the switch also. I'm glad to hear it works so well and so many people love it. It's quite encouraging when your considering buying a mac.

Prost264

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
My story is exactly like your's, alexjdb.

I had a Toshiba A65 for 4 years and had all the same problems you were having. I would be writing a paper and then total system failure. My hard drive died on me last summer. The screen hinges were broke. Keyboard was becoming less responsive. Restore disc wouldn't work. Disc drive wouldn't work.

I didn't go straight to an Apple Store, I got a refurb instead because I'm a poor college student, but its incredible nonetheless.

alexjdb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
My story is exactly like your's, alexjdb.

I had a Toshiba A65 for 4 years and had all the same problems you were having. I would be writing a paper and then total system failure. My hard drive died on me last summer. The screen hinges were broke. Keyboard was becoming less responsive. Restore disc wouldn't work. Disc drive wouldn't work.

I didn't go straight to an Apple Store, I got a refurb instead because I'm a poor college student, but its incredible nonetheless.

Looks like Toshiba is a reliable company. The CD drive was hell too! A while ago, I had to do CPR pressures on the keyboard to startup the computer... The power button broke a few times, the AC adapter almost got on fire, and I had to change my power jack 3 times. No hard drive death yet, but I got rid of it on Craigslist for $350.

I would have gotten a refurb too, but they didn't have the Peryn's in stock and I only would have saved like $50 (my 2.4 cost $1250 with edu discount and an SR 2.2 refurb was $1200). And I wanted to ditch my A75 as fast as possible! Anyway, I love OS X, but my primary reason for switching was hardware reliability.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.