Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PG_iMAC8. 1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
Dear all

I have a 8,1 iMac which I just update with 8GB ram and a SSD CRUCIAL MX500 (1 TB - SATA - 560 MB/s).
I create a bootable El Capitan usb with transmac and GPT partition.
I thought I had all I need but I the true is I can't make the iMac boot by the USB.

I tried different. dmg (old versions) taken from apple site, different usb disks, I tried to start with Option-Command-P-R and then try to boot again but nothing work.

I have the Snow Leopard DVD so I boot from the DVD. I used disk utility and I can see the MAIN SSD and also the usb drives from which I tried to boot.

As last option I tried to install snow leopard from dvd but the inslation stuck after a few hours running. I dont know if there is the DVD issue or something else.

Im desperate cause I dont what else I can do to make the iMac live again.

Any sugestion will be very welcome.
Thank you all in advance for the support

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Transmac does not work alas. If you have no other Mac to make a bootable thumb drive using DiskmakerX, suggest looking at eBay for an El Capitan installer on a thumb drtive.

Reactions: chscag

PG_iMAC8. 1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
Transmac does not work alas. If you have no other Mac to make a bootable thumb drive using DiskmakerX, suggest looking at eBay for an El Capitan installer on a thumb drtive.

Thank you for your reply.

The_Croupier

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
Dear all

I have a 8,1 iMac which I just update with 8GB ram and a SSD CRUCIAL MX500 (1 TB - SATA - 560 MB/s).
I thought I had all I need but I the true is I can't make the iMac boot by the USB.

I tried different. dmg (old versions) taken from apple site, different usb disks, I tried to start with Option-Command-P-R and then try to boot again but nothing work.

I have the Snow Leopard DVD so I boot from the DVD. I used disk utility and I can see the MAIN SSD and also the usb drives from which I tried to boot.

As last option I tried to install snow leopard from dvd but the inslation stuck after a few hours running. I dont know if there is the DVD issue or something else.

Im desperate cause I dont what else I can do to make the iMac live again.

Any sugestion will be very welcome.
Thank you all in advance for the support
You could try following this guide that uses a different program than transmac.

I've never done this so can't comment on if it works.

You should use the usual cautions when downloading software from the internet.

Good luck.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Also - for the iMac8,1 (20 or 24-inch, Early 2008) max RAM is 6GB. You can install 2 x 4GB, but only 6GB will be used, and it can often be unstable. Remove one 4GB stick for now. Your iMac will run fine on that one 4GB stick. When you get a working USB installer, that may give you better results, and let you use your iMac. You can decide to add 1 x 2GB plus your existing 1 x 4GB.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Dear all

4GB DDR2 SO-DIMM is very rare in my country.
How much did you pay for your pair?

PG_iMAC8. 1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
Also - for the iMac8,1 (20 or 24-inch, Early 2008) max RAM is 6GB. You can install 2 x 4GB, but only 6GB will be used, and it can often be unstable. Remove one 4GB stick for now. Your iMac will run fine on that one 4GB stick. When you get a working USB installer, that may give you better results, and let you use your iMac. You can decide to add 1 x 2GB plus your existing 1 x 4GB.
Thank you DeltaMac. I will try this. I knew the maximum is 6Gb but I. Never thought thay could be causing the issue. I will try it. Thank you

PG_iMAC8. 1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
You could try following this guide that uses a different program than transmac.

I've never done this so can't comment on if it works.

You should use the usual cautions when downloading software from the internet.

Good luck.
Thank you The_Croupier. I tried it but UUByte DMG trial version do not allow to burn bootable USB. I tried also Etcher that is a free software that allow to create the bootable usb. Unfortunately didnt work when I tried to boot. Thank you anyway for the sugestion

PG_iMAC8. 1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
Thank you DeltaMac. I will try this. I knew the maximum is 6Gb but I. Never thought thay could be causing the issue. I will try it. Thank you
THANK YOU DeltaMac for your precious support.
After several days trying everything and after dozens of restarts, the iMac is live again and running superfast with only 4GB Ram.
I follow your sugestion and I toke one of 4GB DIMM and force the instalation of Snow leopard DVD which take 15 minuts to install. Then I get the El Capitan from apple direct link and install it and after a while the OS was installed and running perfectly.

Thank you all for the feedback and a special THANK YOU to DeltaMac for the sugestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.