Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
so I'm just wondering how often Apple releases new laptops(LT). I'm looking to buy a new LT and have decided on a MacBook and I want to purchase the newest model.

(I know Leopard is soon to be released and I would suspect they will be releasing a new LT.)

Many thanks

Retired
May 16, 2006
I doubt they will release a new laptop model before January (the next big Apple conference)...

basqarl

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
New to this forum but not to Mac

I'm looking for a Mac laptop and have been investigating the Macbook Pros. Had a Mac decades ago and then went the way of PCs due to work, availability, cost, etc. Currently one son has Macbook Pro and loves it, other son has Toshiba Satellite, we have several Dells (am on one now). Have looked at Lenovo and Sony Vaio and have come to the conclusion that Mac is the only way to go (for me).

I have decided on a notebook because I want portability, and because I multitask to a fault, I need as much RAM as possible; in addition, I tend to store a lot (too much, probably) on my hard drive bc I work on video presentations (a lot of mixing, etc.) and need to have all with me when I work, although I do back up. Have heard that the 17" Macbook Pro may be difficult to maneuver in a plane, but love the high resolution screen option.

I don't know when to make the purchase.....I was going to use my October 'birthday' as an excuse to get this now, but should I wait until Leopard (or any other updates) will come out, and if so, what would be anyone's best guess as to when to purchase----?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

gauol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
Ok thanks for the help!!

Another question I have is how do I recognize a new model from an old? From my recollection there aren't model #s on them (haven't look on the bottom) the model is just MacBook?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Ok thanks for the help!!

Another question I have is how do I recognize a new model from an old? From my recollection there aren't model #s on them (haven't look on the bottom) the model is just MacBook?

Easiest way to do it would be if the Mac is working then you can click on The Mighty Blue Apple in the upper left corner, and then click "About this Mac"

If the speed is 1.83-2.0GHz then it is a Core Duo
2.0 - 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
2.2 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa

These numbers are only for the MacBook Pro, and even then I may be off.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Easiest way to do it would be if the Mac is working then you can click on The Mighty Blue Apple in the upper left corner, and then click "About this Mac"

I wouldn't rely solely on the clock speed.

It does take a little bit of memorization since Core 2 Duo applies to Socket M (Napa) and Socket P (Santa Rosa) platform processors.

SoLibertyDies

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Spanaway, Wa

My Core Duo is 2.16...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Disagree. I second Eidorian :)
I third! We're likely to see some kind of macbook update before Christams comes around.
Huh, well nevermind then... guess i was wrong :)
You were partially wrong, but primarily because you forgot about how Apple upgraded the macbook pros from CDs to C2Ds. The baseline got the clock speed that used to be used in the prior upper end models, after an update, and the upper two models got a new higher clock speed. EG:
CD:
base mbp: 2.0GHZ
Mid mbp&17"mbp: 2.16GHZ

C2D:
base mbp: 2.16GHZ
Mid mbp&17"mbp: 2.33GHZ
Originally the Macbook Pro would have come in a Core Duo 1.67 configuration.

Did any of those ever ship? I thought that they were upgraded prior to being sent out?

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
ummm.... am I missing something here? It tells you what kind of processor it is when you do "About this Mac" so there is no guessing. No? :confused:

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
ummm.... am I missing something here? It tells you what kind of processor it is when you do "About this Mac" so there is no guessing. No? :confused:

Right except that there are two different Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros. The not Santa Rosa and the Santa Rosa. The Santa Rosa has the 8600, the faster FSB, the FW800 on all models, and the LED backlight. The non has the X1600, the slower FSB, and the CCFL backlight.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Yes, but that doesn't tell you what generation it is. The OP wanted to know how to distinguish between an "old" model and a "new" model.
Right except that there are two different Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros. The not Santa Rosa and the Santa Rosa. The Santa Rosa has the 8600, the faster FSB, the FW800 on all models, and the LED backlight. The non has the X1600, the slower FSB, and the CCFL backlight.

You wouldn't have any issues dicerning between an SR mbp and a CD/C2D mbp because all SR mbps have a processor that multiplies by .2, eg, 2.2, 2.4. All CD and C2Ds were in fractions of 1/6, eg, 1.83, 2.0, 2.16.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.