Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Excellent! Glad you've been able to identify your iPod! :) Actually, iTunes, too, shows how much music, movies and other stuff you've got in it, too.....
However, I discovered an unpleasant surprise. I lost my original iTunes list from a previous MBP I owned and had to start new, then total meltdown of my first MBP forced me to get this current one caused me to loose my old iTunes list. Story short, the Apple Music I have on my iTunes list doesn't transfer to my iPod. Or can I change the type of file each song I currently have on my list. What kind of file will the nano allow?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I wouldn't think you'd need to change the type of file of each song if they are songs you purchased and downloaded from iTunes in the first place..... for songs that are from another source, mp3 is the standard format and I have never had any problems with adding mp3 files to my iPod or iPad or iPhone.

You do realize, don't you, that you can go into the iTunes store and look at your account and pull up a list of songs or albums you've already purchased and download them again into yourMBP....... Once that's done then it should be a simple matter of plugging in the iPod and syncing it through iTunes. Songs from other sources (i.e., mp3 files) would need to be located and downloaded again into the computer and then again you would just sync through iTunes.

One thing I would strongly urge is that you BACK UP everything on your computer!! That way if there ever is an issue you won't lose valuable files. Yesterday I did my income taxes and last night after e-filing the state and federal returns, the first thing I did was to back up the documents folder on my computer (where my tax files are saved). Also, if I have added a lot of new music or movies to my iTunes library or made changes in my playlists or created some new ones, I take the time to back up iTunes, too. I have over 4000 songs in there (both purchased through iTunes and various mp3 files) and don't want to lose anything!

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I recently had problems with my MBP and I think it's back to optimal performance. I tried to run the disk utility and the application just kept freezing. I'm not sure if my MBP is acting up again, though I would still like an alternative to DiskUtility. Is there one?

Thank you.

Hi I just got the MBP and it works just fine.

No skipping or freezing or anything.

I know this doesn't help you, but just incase people think the MBP sucks and are deterred to Windows or something, for me it doesn't. It's pretty freaking awesome.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Hi I just got the MBP and it works just fine.

No skipping or freezing or anything.

I know this doesn't help you, but just incase people think the MBP sucks and are deterred to Windows or something, for me it doesn't. It's pretty freaking awesome.

I think you may be in the wrong thread, Hieveryone -- this discussion isn't about the brand-new MBP model, it's about an older one which has been having some issues.
[doublepost=1489344114][/doublepost]

MP4 is movies, isn't it?

Reactions: Hieveryone

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I think you may be in the wrong thread, Hieveryone -- this discussion isn't about the brand-new MBP model, it's about an older one which has been having some issues.

MP4 is movies, isn't it?

Whoops my bad! I was tired.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009

MP4 is movies, isn't it?
You might be right. I thought it was weird when I was reading online before I came back here. I didn't think that MP4 was Mac-talk for their music files. :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
From what I recall, MPEG-4 and MP4 both refer to movie files..... I know I've had to pay attention to that when adding something to my computer that I want to also sync to my iPad or iPhone. While the newer iPod Touch would accept movie files my old 5th -gen iPod won't and it only syncs with the music files I have on my machine.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Well, I have enough information for that little line that you could barely see. It's just pergeable.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I think I might have fixed my problem. I know this because I stumbled onto something in the control panel and thought maybe there was something that could be helpful. I chose a different option in the trackpad setting in the control panel, and so far so good. (I was playing Zuma deluxe if you are familiar with how it works and how you can swap the preceding ball with the ball you can shoot out.) The balls didn't switch.

Since making that change, I haven't gotten the annoying pop-up menu, either that popped up no matter where I was whether it was the game I play, just turning on my MBP, or on the internet.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
All is good (for now). I have a new charger (again) I am still keeping up on the "housekeeping" of trying to keep my MBP at a decent speed. Since getting my MBP to run again, as of earlier this week. I've installed a new app that cleans memory. (Memory clean) My question, how do I know when it's a good time to purchase more memory. I know I have been urged to look into getting a MBA a lot lately, but I've come this far with minimal additional purchases. I just have a question about something on the HDD bar graph, what does other volumes in container mean?

I apologize for the wierd lines on the picture. I was using my iPhone because you can't take a screenshot of a specific area and use the cursor to get it taken and not have what you wanted shown be shown.

These images could be helpful.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 1.20.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 1.20.19 PM.png
    981.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 1.46.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 1.46.25 PM.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
First - Memory Clean, seemingly a useful tool, mostly because of the name, I suppose.
Turns out, it's not particularly needed, ever. Not a scam, per se. It just doesn't do anything useful that your system doesn't already provide.
You also asked when it is a good time to purchase more memory... Now would be a good time. You can upgrade to as much as 16GB. Even doubling to 8GB total would make your system work more smoothly, with a bit of apparent speed increase.
The "Other Volumes" is a listing that is ordinary, and normal. Not sure exactly why it is listed as "Other Volumes" but I have the same.

This thread is way too long... Did you ever swap out your hard drive for an SSD? 'twould be a wonderful thing, and also would delay your possible future laptop replacement even a little bit longer, as your MBPro would work like new.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
First - Memory Clean, seemingly a useful tool, mostly because of the name, I suppose.
Turns out, it's not particularly needed, ever. Not a scam, per se. It just doesn't do anything useful that your system doesn't already provide.
You also asked when it is a good time to purchase more memory... Now would be a good time. You can upgrade to as much as 16GB. Even doubling to 8GB total would make your system work more smoothly, with a bit of apparent speed increase.
The "Other Volumes" is a listing that is ordinary, and normal. Not sure exactly why it is listed as "Other Volumes" but I have the same.

This thread is way too long... Did you ever swap out your hard drive for an SSD? 'twould be a wonderful thing, and also would delay your possible future laptop replacement even a little bit longer, as your MBPro would work like new.
OK, I'll show one of my Mac friends....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.