Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Other examples...

"Copy all files older than 3 months to my disk External Drive"
"Delete all the videos i have watched" (in itunes)
"Compress any documents i haven't opened in 3 months"
"Create a new version of this file"

etc, etc...

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
answer "yes" or "no".

Now that's an idea. I could see a Siri-like interaction with Finder/other application's popup windows. That would be very useful in the workplace!

Using voice controls for inputs like these would be nice:
-Yes or No (all over OS X)
-Send Report or Ignore (Upon application crashing)
-Open or Don't Open (Upon opening a downloaded application for the first time)
-Quit (inside Software Update, though it is integrating with the App Store in ML)
-Close all tabs or Close Tab or Close (Safari)

"Begin new tweet" - for Twitter
"Check for new mail" - for Mail
"Create new mail draft" - for Mail
"Open/Go to websitenamehere.com" - for Safari
"Rotate image to the left/right" - for iPhoto
"Connect to server" - to bring the same result as when pressing Command+K in Finder
"Empty the Trash" - for Finder
"Open my Documents; Desktop; Music; Movies; Shared folder (whatever you say)" - for Finder
"Open the directory /Directory/You/Want/here" - for Finder
"What application is using the most power/RAM on my machine?" -for Activity Monitor
"Shut down; Restart; Sleep" -Universal
"What is the weather like today?" -copying current Siri :)
"Play my current Keynote presentation" -for Keynote
"Run application in full screen" -Universal
"Are there any updates available?" -for Mac App Store and Software Update
"Copy; Cut the selected text/image" -Universal
"Paste; Paste and match style from clipboard" -Universal
Etc...

The more that I think about it, better voice controls or Siri for Mac would be a treat. Though not a necessity, it would be nice. Maybe triggered by a hotkey on our Macs?

Last edited:

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
I like it. That would make me feel like a total bad ass from the future. And I'd get jealous glances from other people who are still using non-Siri devices. Its the perfect marketing ploy!! :p

I have a strong feeling that Siri for Mac had been in development since it had been for the iPhone. There are probably some kinks to work out with microphone on the mac but I think it will be released as a beta with ML 10.8. Apple is just keeping a secret.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Siri isn't available for the ML preview, but also it wasn't available last year for the iOS 5 preview, so I still hope that Siri will be available for the official release of Mountain Lion. I don't think that only the 10 apps included in ML are worth upgrading, even though it is said that there will be more than 100 new features without Siri.

So don't upgrade and go back to Winbloze. Apple doesn't care and neither do we what you end up doing.

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
Well, don't get too excited to upgrade then, because it's probably not coming to Mac anytime soon.

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Sure, but why wait for a year, the update will be out in 5-6 moths and there is no point to wait 6 month and then update, because in another 6 moths there will be a new OS, so if you gonna update, do it as soon as the OS is out...

The ML will be cheap (I guess it won't be more expensive than Lion, which was 22 quid here in the UK) so I'll be definitely tempted, but let us see what else the Apple team will come up with, so far I'm most impressed with the unified address bar and search bar in Safari (which I'm pretty sure will be available to all, without the need to upgrade) and Messages (which won't be available to Lion users, however it's not worth 22 pounds).

You're impressed by the unified address bar...*cough* Chrome *cough for years*

A real update would be to finally support TRIM for not apple-certified ssd drives, built-in ML.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Other examples...

"Copy all files older than 3 months to my disk External Drive"

Did you ever see what was older that 3 months on your OS X copy ?

Here's a hint of what it will copy :

Code:
sudo find / -mtime +90

Run that in Terminal. ;)

"Compress any documents i haven't opened in 3 months"

Look above. How do you define document ? I can see a system refusing to boot after being issued that command and Siri complying...

"Create a new version of this file"

Press button, "Create a new version of this file", "You want me to create a new version of this file in your current application ? Confirm cancel" "Yes, I do", "OK" is faster than clicking File->Duplicate ? :confused:

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Siri isn't available for the ML preview, but also it wasn't available last year for the iOS 5 preview, so I still hope that Siri will be available for the official release of Mountain Lion. I don't think that only the 10 apps included in ML are worth upgrading, even though it is said that there will be more than 100 new features without Siri.

If that is so, then ditch the computer and stick with the iphone.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
please rethink your decission, without your 22 pounds apple will go bankrupt and none of use can continue to get products from them.

Siri is great on a phone because sometimes you only have 1 hand free, but on a Mac you have both hands a mouse and full keyboard. Finding anything on a desktop/laptop is much faster and easier than on a iphone/ipad

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Siri would only be minimally useful on the desktop in its current form. iOS 6 will expand capabilities, allow for 3rd party apps, and include iPad. OSX 10.9 will include siri on Mac.
The problem with Siri on a Mac is that if you're not alone, someone nearby could give Siri directions and mess up something on the system. This could be alleviated with a headset I guess as long as Siri could be pointed to the headset.

I'm not saying Siri for OS X is bad. It's just that people will need to be careful. And I hope Apple has an option to disable it... among other reasons, disabling Siri could be good in noisy environments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.