Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
EDIT: Notice to readers—I understand it’s a hard to believe claim. Note that first, these are exchanges, not returns. Secondly, almost half the exchanges occurred in succession at the store without a complete transaction, I did not travel 16 times back and forth to the store. Thirdly, I have exchanged once at a different store—same issues.

Hey all,

I haven't found many threads relating to iPhone Xs issues, but I thought I'd share my experience and wanted to see if anyone else is having any issues like these, because I want to decide what I should do from here (i.e. keep current iPhone or return, and place an online order).

So basically, as the title says, I am currently in possession of my 16 exchanged iPhone Xs (and apparently my last exchange because they're losing money opening all those phones). Something seems to be wrong with apples manufacturing facility or something. In almost every phone Ive opened up, there has been some sort of strange debris / possibly glue (holding the bezels and watertight seals together) between the bezels, and obviously if you can see that, the metal or seals are separated.

Besides that being present in almost every phone, I have had 2 with dust within the camera lens, 1 with a rattling speaker, quite a few with button issues (mushy and uneven), and many with uneven and almost sharp edges along where the steel meets the glass, and a lot of the iPhones have multiple of these issues combined.

All of the display models I checked at the store had the debris as well, and one phone I opened had an almost pre-peeled and crumpled plastic cover (you know, the plastic that comes on the phone, you use to pull it out of the box then peel it off the phone).

At one point, I opened up about 5 in store at once and all of them had issues, and all the staff involved, including managers, saw it as well. I have never had this experience with an iPhone. They always come perfect and develop some sort of defects or issues later in their life, if any.

My local store is Robina, in QLD, Australia. I was hoping to get some feedback about other users phones, and if they notice anything like the issues I noticed mentioned above, to find out if its just a few stores here in Australia receiving these horribly produced phones (compared to apples own boasted standards obviously), or if this is happening across multiple countries. The current phone I have now is probably the best Ive had, with minor mushy volume down button on the lower half of it, and only a slightly uneven 'edgy' bezel. It's alright, but it's not what apple should be sending out, and nothing like what Ive ever received before from the company. I am just debating though on returning it, and then attempting to order one online, and possibly get it from another location or 'batch' to see if it could be just a bad batch.

(Also, just to note, this has occurred over 2 months of exchanges, besides the 5 or 6 at once in store, starting with the pre-ordered one I received on September 21st)

Anyway, thanks for reading if you took the time, and I appreciate any and all replies.

Kind regards,
PK

EDIT: I appreciate everyones replies thus far, and thank you. I just wanted to post a reminder that, while I do appreciate your wisdom and opinions, I am mainly looking for anyone who might have noticed the same issues I have. I came here for others experiences with their iPhones, and not for plain suggestions and assumptions. I can say, I know what I know, I see what I see, and I would not be here listing a seemingly ridiculous topic if it was made up. It goes without saying that no one except myself and the ones around me have seen this first hand, so its understandable if you can't fathom this a reality. But family, friends, and apple store employees have all agreed upon this. If they didn't, how would I be this many phones in without their approval? Believe it or not, I just want one that works properly out of the box, as it should come according to Apple. If I didn't want that, I'd go to another less reputable company and buy a phone from them, toss it when it completely breaks, and just buy another new one.

EDIT 2: For those of you who can't fathom that the apple store was on board with my iPhone comments, here is at least half of the 16 phones, and for some I don't have receipts because, as I said, a few were opened in the store before making a complete transaction to make sure they were actually up to standard. I feel it would be unreasonable to continually exchange unnecessarily, and as you all are aware, so would Apple. But I have had genuine, visible and noticeable defects witnessed by the staff who have helped me out. I agree that 16 is a ridiculous amount, and I am also amazed, and to be honest, disappointed, that this is the case.

I have just blacked out most of the information except for the date and the end of the serial numbers so at least you can notice there are multiple serial numbers over different days, with some a same day, and a few only a couple days apart.
1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png 7.png 8.png

Last edited:

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Thankfully I’ve not had any issues with the Xr. I did have 4 iPhone 8’s before getting a decent one but I think at 16 I’d be returning and looking at different manufacturers. In fact I think I’d have given up at half that.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Have you thought trying some other state's shop? 16 iPhones.. At which point do you give up?
I hadn't thought about another state, but mainly because the next closest store is like a 9 hour drive...
I want the phone because I'm a fan of apple, and I really like the design, but I just would like to have a proper (as expected) iPhone.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I honestly think you should look for a different phone, or simply lower your expectations. This forum has many threads such as yours. Statistically it is EXTREMELY unlikely that the one Apple store that you have been buying from can receive and give you 16 iPhones and there be a legitimate issue with every single one. I think the Apple store staff were probably playing nice on at least some of your issues.
It is highly unlikely that you will be satisfied with the next iPhone you buy online. Why should it be any different to an iPhone you buy in store?

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Ok im going to just say it..its just you. There's no way someone can go through 16 iPhones and each one has an issue. Are you one of those people that takes a microscrope to each one looking for issues? Either you have the most extreme case of OCD i have ever seen or its BS. This sounds insane. After the 3rd or 4th one I would have just move on to a different phone. Why did you keep going back?

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
I honestly think you should look for a different phone, or simply lower your expectations. This forum has many threads such as yours. Statistically it is EXTREMELY unlikely that the one Apple store that you have been buying from can receive and give you 16 iPhones and there be an issue with every single one. I think the Apple store staff were probably playing nice on at least some of your issues.
It is highly unlikely that you will be satisfied with the next iPhone you buy online. Why should it be any different to an iPhone you buy in store?
The way Apple expresses their products merits a high expectation, as I'm sure you're aware. I understand your doubt, because that is a lot of iPhones. However, I have an attention to detail that many others don't, but I can tell you that multiple managers that became suspicious of these exchanges came over to me, and also expressed their distain for the quality that the iPhones were in (out of the box). One of them yelled about how it wasn't up to apple standards, and another who opened a few phones wouldn't let me have one because of an issue he saw himself. I can assure you that I have never brought up a remedial issue. Almost every issue I have mentioned noticing is a potential defect with the phone, in terms of water resistance, working buttons, working camera, and working speakers. Yes, the sharp edges is more or less a trivial thing, but I have had some pretty sharp edges on a few of them.
[doublepost=1541699970][/doublepost]
Ok im going to just say it..its just you. There's no way someone can go through 16 iPhones and each one has an issue. Are you one of those people that takes a microscrope to each one looking for issues? Either you have the most extreme case of OCD i have ever seen or its BS. This sounds insane. After the 3rd or 4th one I would have just move on to a different phone. Why did you keep going back?
I never usually look for any issues, because I have always expected and have always had perfect iPhones, and pretty much perfect any apple products. I only started looking after the 3rd, when I noticed a serious issue pertaining to myself in particular, which was dust in the camera. My first one had an insane amount of dried glue or debris within the 'cracks', which were now open spaces of the bezels, and very sharp and very rough edges. I go back because I would just like one that is actually up to their standard, and actually has no problems with it. I really enjoy apple products.
[doublepost=1541700221][/doublepost]
That is ridiculous. It’s not a diamond. What happens from regular use? Even with a lifeproof or a catalyst case you still get dust inside the case. I thought I was bad that I inspect when I get it but that’s crazy....I’m surprised after 4 or 5 you weren’t cut off
The dust is in the phone, before opening the box. In my opinion and apparently the opinion of the staff at my store, and probably apples opinion, the phone should start out clean. But also, in any iPhone ever, dust should not be between the bezels, and that is where it is. Which makes me believe it is dried and separated glue, where the watertight seal has come away from where it was positioned for a seal.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It’s pretty obvious your standards are far above Apples QC so it will be impossible to appease you. Statistically speaking, receiving 16 random phones that all fail your expectations is more likely due to your perception of what is acceptable vs. actual defects. I’m surprised you walked out of the store with the one you have seeing it isn’t up to your standards either. As a manager, I would of never allowed you to open that many phones, after 5 I would of refunded your money and told you to explore other options ...

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
It’s pretty obvious your standards are far above Apples QC so it will be impossible to appease you. Statistically speaking, receiving 16 random phones that all fail your expectations is more likely due to your perception of what is acceptable vs. actual defects. I’m surprised you walked out of the store with the one you have seeing it isn’t up to your standards either. As a manager, I would of never allowed you to open that many phones, after 5 I would of refunded your money and told you to explore other options ...
Statistically speaking is right. I was blown away that I couldn't find one without issues out of the box. Would you accept a phone with dust in the camera lens enclosure? Would you accept a phone with buttons that become mushier over time (resulting in a return for repair later on)? I am thinking about the long run with this phone, which is why I intended to exchange within the exchange period to hopefully get one that works as it should. I can see the manager point of view, thinking they will lose money by opening any further items, but I also can see that they often just figure the average customer won't notice what's wrong and will deal with it later down the line or not at all. For example, if I had been the manager, I probably would have started to worry about existing stock and made an inquiry about it. I suppose the problem is also that average consumers don't really know what to look for. But this thread is really about finding out if any others around the world may be noticing what I've been seeing, and less about what you would do if you were the manager.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I haven't found many threads relating to iPhone Xs issues, but I thought I'd share my experience and wanted to see if anyone else is having any issues like these, because I want to decide what I should do from here (i.e. keep current iPhone or return, and place an online order).

So basically, as the title says, I am currently in possession of my 16 exchanged iPhone Xs (and apparently my last exchange because they're losing money opening all those phones). Something seems to be wrong with apples manufacturing facility or something. In almost every phone Ive opened up, there has been some sort of strange debris / possibly glue (holding the bezels and watertight seals together) between the bezels, and obviously if you can see that, the metal or seals are separated.

Besides that being present in almost every phone, I have had 2 with dust within the camera lens, 1 with a rattling speaker, quite a few with button issues (mushy and uneven), and many with uneven and almost sharp edges along where the steel meets the glass, and a lot of the iPhones have multiple of these issues combined.

All of the display models I checked at the store had the debris as well, and one phone I opened had an almost pre-peeled and crumpled plastic cover (you know, the plastic that comes on the phone, you use to pull it out of the box then peel it off the phone).

At one point, I opened up about 5 in store at once and all of them had issues, and all the staff involved, including managers, saw it as well. I have never had this experience with an iPhone. They always come perfect and develop some sort of defects or issues later in their life, if any.

My local store is Robina, in QLD, Australia. I was hoping to get some feedback about other users phones, and if they notice anything like the issues I noticed mentioned above, to find out if its just a few stores here in Australia receiving these horribly produced phones (compared to apples own boasted standards obviously), or if this is happening across multiple countries. The current phone I have now is probably the best Ive had, with minor mushy volume down button on the lower half of it, and only a slightly uneven 'edgy' bezel. It's alright, but it's not what apple should be sending out, and nothing like what Ive ever received before from the company. I am just debating though on returning it, and then attempting to order one online, and possibly get it from another location or 'batch' to see if it could be just a bad batch.

(Also, just to note, this has occurred over 2 months of exchanges, besides the 5 or 6 at once in store, starting with the pre-ordered one I received on September 21st)

Anyway, thanks for reading if you took the time, and I appreciate any and all replies.

Kind regards,
PK
In my student days of working in a cafe, I once had a guy who complained his bacon was too cold. I apologised and had more made for him. Still too cold. Went round the same merry go round twice more before inviting him into the kitchen to watch the bacon being fried. It came straight out of the pan and onto his plate - it was still not hot enough for him. With the oil practically still fizzling on it.

Sorry to ramble, but you just reminded me of that.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Love username... Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favorite movies ever.

16 phones? I thought you could only do a few returns before they said no? Must be a nice store there in Australia.

New account! Way to catapult to a very popular thread right away. Welcome to Macrumors. This should be pages long soon.

Edit: Yeah, all my iPhones have had slight flaws with them, but they all served me for almost 2 years (before I upgraded) and I sold back for max price to Apple (or lately, iUP (apple upgrade plan) successfully). The higher the price, the harder it is to accept these slight flaws (My Xs Max 512).

Good luck and hope you find someone else in similar situation (as you're looking in this thread).

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Love username... Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favorite movies ever.

16 phones? I thought you could only do a few returns before they said no? Must be a nice store there in Australia.

New account! Way to catapult to a very popular thread right away. Welcome to Macrumors. This should be pages long soon.
It's an amazing movie, my whole family loves it as well. We're American (moved to Australia), so I naturally love Halloween

Well, exactly. Like I was saying, the store employees all noticed it as well. A self-proclaimed quality standard issue.

Thank you for the welcome. Much appreciated!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Sorry to hear that OP. Best bet, as someone else mentioned, maybe wait till the new year for an entirely different batch.

But you should keep in mind that these are mass-produced so they’ll always be faults or defects, I’m sure there are some faults with my XS although I haven’t found any yet. It’s just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The OP must have A LOT of time on their hands to go through 16 iPhone's. After the third time, I would cut my losses and keep my old phone or just wait a month or two.

Apple has to have the OP flagged at this point, right?

Agreed. Returning all of these phones must be a very time consuming process.

Reactions: janeauburn

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't notice any mushy buttons or any of this stuff you're talking about. I don't pixel peep either.

I probably would have noticed dust in the camera lens, but there doesn't seem to be any on mine.

I have however noticed problems with my Apple Watch S4. I got one that didn't charge at all, and my current one the top part is machined incorrectly that straps don't slide in from one side. Currently I'm waiting for stock to exchange it.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Sorry to hear that OP. Best bet, as someone else mentioned, maybe wait till the new year for an entirely different batch.

But you should keep in mind that these are mass-produced so they’ll always be faults or defects, I’m sure there are some faults with my XS although I haven’t found any yet. It’s just the nature of the beast.
I definitely do keep that in mind. The thing is, this is the only iPhone I've seen these issues with, let alone any issues. It just seems like they've dropped the ball lately, but that is what I'm trying to find out. If the issues lie just here where I am, or elsewhere.
[doublepost=1541703155][/doublepost]
I don't notice any mushy buttons or any of this stuff you're talking about. I don't pixel peep either.

I probably would have noticed dust in the camera lens, but there doesn't seem to be any on mine.
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.